The ULTIMATE in wing extension, the Ho 267! - DONE!

Started by PR19_Kit, December 02, 2023, 06:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Prior to Telford this year I was chatting with The Wooksta about an upcoming idea for a Whiff build I had, and he said he had some bits that would improve it no end, and he presented me with them at the show.

Here's the starter pic.

Now the Horton brothers, who designed the Go/Ho 229 were no strangers to high aspect ratio wings, some of their earlier gliders had IMMENSE spans, and very little chord, but flew like angels, and Lee's donation to me was of one of them, as below.

So my thoughts went on the lines of 'If you wanted to make a VERY high altitude PR version of the Ho 229, why not add more wingspan? A revolutionary idea, don't you think?

So I did................  ;D

So the Ho 267 build is under way at last.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Accidental Loggie

Any chance of a scale / ruler alongside so we can see how huge it's going to be?  :wacko:
Converte et subvertere

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Accidental Loggie on December 02, 2023, 07:01:41 AMAny chance of a scale / ruler alongside so we can see how huge it's going to be?  :wacko:

Your wish etc......................

I've done quite a bit more of the 'fuselage' build by now, but I'll post detail pics of that later, meanwhile here's a tape-up of the whole assembly. It scales out as 105 ft wing span.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

I don't normally care about 'luftstuffe,' but this one has piqued my interest.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

There's LOADS of small detail bit in the cockpit area, and it all looks a bit fragile, but the nose cone/intakes should cover it all OK.

All that gubbins under the cockpit floor is to hold the guns in place, but the Ho 230 will only have cameras, but I've put it in there anyway. Quite what the girders in the wing roots are for I've NO idea. Once the wings are glued on they'll be invisible!  :banghead:

Academy go to great lengths to add all that stuff, and yet leave gaping holes underneath the exhausts! I'll cut some styrene and blank those off I think.

Joining the resin wing extensions wasn't just a matter of gluing them on, there's hardly any glue area, so I drilled both halves and superglued a tiny bit of brass tube in there to strengthen the joint, and it seems to have worked OK. The resin wing parts need a bit of filing down as they're a tad too thick, bit it's not really a problem.

Regards
Kit

perttime

PR19_Kit

Under the cockpit, where the guns were. Plus there may be the odd underwing store, there's plenty of room for them.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Accidental Loggie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2023, 08:32:09 AM
Quote from: Accidental Loggie on December 02, 2023, 07:01:41 AMAny chance of a scale / ruler alongside so we can see how huge it's going to be?  :wacko:

Your wish etc......................

I've done quite a bit more of the 'fuselage' build by now, but I'll post detail pics of that later, meanwhile here's a tape-up of the whole assembly. It scales out as 105 ft wing span.  ;D

Oooh, that's big!  Right up deine Straße  :thumbsup:
Converte et subvertere

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2023, 09:50:36 AMAcademy go to great lengths to add all that stuff, and yet leave gaping holes underneath the exhausts! I'll cut some styrene and blank those off I think.

Joining the resin wing extensions wasn't just a matter of gluing them on, there's hardly any glue area, so I drilled both halves and superglued a tiny bit of brass tube in there to strengthen the joint, and it seems to have worked OK. The resin wing parts need a bit of filing down as they're a tad too thick, bit it's not really a problem.

Actually the kit is a reboxing of the 1994 Revell kit so blame them for the gap under the rear of the engines. The detail where the wings attach to the fuselage is probably so the aircraft can be modelled as the sole surviving aircraft at the Smithsonian.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

frank2056

I recognize that resin Horten H.IV! It dates from the 90s and was from the then Czechoslovakia. The Revell Ho-229 is  very nice despite some issues. Better than the PM one.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

What is the German name for the (bird) swift? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

The Revell kit, for all people jack off over it and have it wearing in service markings, is the V-3 prototype. The production version would have had a deeper and smoother, more blended underside.  You have the ideal opportunity here to do so.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic