The ULTIMATE in wing extension, the Ho 267! - DONE!

Started by PR19_Kit, December 02, 2023, 06:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2023, 09:50:36 AMQuite what the girders in the wing roots are for I've NO idea. Once the wings are glued on they'll be invisible!  :banghead:

They are there so you can model the naval version with folded wings  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 04, 2023, 07:18:15 AMThey are there so you can model the naval version with folded wings  :rolleyes:

Ah, why didn't I think of that? But with my extended wings it would have needed 3-4 folds, a bit like a Mega-Gannet!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2023, 07:28:07 AMAh, why didn't I think of that? But with my extended wings it would have needed 3-4 folds, a bit like a Mega-Gannet!  :o

Was tempted to buy the Airfix 1/48 one yesterday, but Dave talked me out of it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2023, 07:28:07 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 04, 2023, 07:18:15 AMThey are there so you can model the naval version with folded wings  :rolleyes:

Ah, why didn't I think of that? But with my extended wings it would have needed 3-4 folds, a bit like a Mega-Gannet!  :o
Outer extensions sweep back on a skewed hinge so they're under the inner sections, and then the inner sections fold up
and over along a hinge line outboard of the main undercarriage bays? Something sort of Barracuda-ish.
;D

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2023, 07:28:07 AMAh, why didn't I think of that? But with my extended wings it would have needed 3-4 folds, a bit like a Mega-Gannet!  :o

An OriGannet!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

While waiting for a book for some info on the slightly larger production version, I glued the top and bottom halves of the 'fuselage' together. You can clearly see where that weird girder is now. It all fits very nicely.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Did that link I posted earlier help with regard to the deeper centre section?  IIRC there is a drawing of the deeper section on Arthur's site.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Yeah, I ripped the plan drawing off the site. It looks like a snubbier nose too, but that could be just an illusion because the belly is bulged more.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Maybe the it's bigger for a bomb bay or cameras.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

Can't remember the reasoning, but likely aerodynamic.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

I suppose my copy of the Classic book will get here eventually, but I'm not holding my breath......

In the meanwhile I've tried lots of attempts at de-warping the resin wing extensions using the hot water method. It's worked pretty well on one of them, but not the other! I can't figure out why, and I've tried 4-5 extra times on the one that WON'T come straight. Well, not exactly straight, but just slightly drooping, wings THAT long would droop a bit, wouldn't they?

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The older CMK resin was epoxy.  They were using it well into the mid 90s.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Should the hot water method work on it? I've also tried weighting it down after 'hot watering' it, but it doesn't really want to play. :(

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Boiling water, straighten and freezer, usually works.

It's been a while since I've made any of the older CMK kits using that resin.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: