The ULTIMATE in wing extension, the Ho 267! - DONE!

Started by PR19_Kit, December 02, 2023, 06:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I'll give that a try, I didn't have it quite that hot the last few times.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 08, 2023, 03:36:12 AMbut just slightly drooping, wings THAT long would droop a bit, wouldn't they?

Almost certainly
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

You could go the opposite direction..have the sweep upwards at the tips ..ive seen wiffy pics of birds like this in flight and they all seem to be drawn with the tips with a gentle sweep...to me it looks pretty good.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on December 08, 2023, 11:03:43 PMYou could go the opposite direction..have the sweep upwards at the tips ..ive seen wiffy pics of birds like this in flight and they all seem to be drawn with the tips with a gentle sweep...to me it looks pretty good.

If the wings did droop whilst on the ground then they might well sweep slightly upwards at altitude. Depends on their construction I suppose.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Just got the Classic book on the 229, so building will re-commence.

Most of the Horten designs were wood skinned, and VERY high aspect ratio, so I suspect that they would bend upwards in flight. But the 267 will be modelled on the ground, so they can droop downwards a bit.

I still don't like that HUGE nosewheel though, it'll have to go!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

It's a well known fact that the BUFF (B-52) only gets off the ground & maintains its flight by flapping its wings 12 feet or so. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 09, 2023, 06:37:51 AMIt's a well known fact that the BUFF (B-52) only gets off the ground & maintains its flight by flapping its wings 12 feet or so. ;)

I have seen a B-52 in flight and I did not observe any movement on the wings.  It was during Exercise K'82 when I was an Air Piquet up on a hill and my Oppo decided to wake me as he had observed, "something which might interest me."  I looked over the edge to see a pair of B-52s swanning down the valley below me.  My, it was a BIG plane!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

In the late-mid-80's I used to park my car at the end of the Darwin airport runway & watch them come in to land, & their wingtips were definitely flapping! :blink:

Maybe you saw them when they were gliding? ;)

They're bloody GINORMOUS swooping in over your head! :o  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 09, 2023, 06:33:50 AMI still don't like that HUGE nosewheel though, it'll have to go!

Certainly defines "ugly"  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 10, 2023, 12:24:22 AMThey're bloody GINORMOUS swooping in over your head! :o  ;D

My office (when I was actually in it, not a frequent occasion....) was on the Fairford runway's centre line, and during the various Gulf Wars they'd come right o'head! Still flying very low due to their very small climb angles, and they sure covered up a LOT of sky!

But a B-36 covered more, and they used to cruise over my Mum & Dad's house in the 50s en route to landing at Brize Norton.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2023, 04:44:15 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on December 10, 2023, 12:24:22 AMThey're bloody GINORMOUS swooping in over your head! :o  ;D

My office (when I was actually in it, not a frequent occasion....) was on the Fairford runway's centre line, and during the various Gulf Wars they'd come right o'head! Still flying very low due to their very small climb angles, and they sure covered up a LOT of sky!

But a B-36 covered more, and they used to cruise over my Mum & Dad's house in the 50s en route to landing at Brize Norton.

Well, there's a reason the B-36 was nicknamed Alumin(i)um Overcast. ;)

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 10, 2023, 04:56:19 AMWell, there's a reason the B-36 was nicknamed Alumin(i)um Overcast. ;)

Maybe it should have been Alimaximum rather than Aliminimum  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 08, 2023, 04:26:42 AMBoiling water, straighten and freezer, usually works.

Worked a TREAT!  :thumbsup:

With wings that long looking for a tank long enough to take them took a while, but having sorted that the most bent wing extension went  totally floppy as soon as it was in the boiling water! I took it out and flattened it on the hob's surface, and then shoved it in the freezer for 15 mins and it's straight as a straight thing!

Now I'll have to do the OTHER one as it's just slightly drooped.  ;D

I've also glued them both onto the centre section, I can't really call it a fuselage, and the whole assembly looks HUGE! Pics later I expect.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 09, 2023, 06:37:51 AMIt's a well known fact that the BUFF (B-52) only gets off the ground & maintains its flight by flapping its wings 12 feet or so. ;)

I understood that the B52moved forward in a straight line, and that the Earth curved away under it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on December 12, 2023, 08:16:49 AMI understood that the B52moved forward in a straight line, and that the Earth curved away under it.

Yes, similar to the B-36, Brabazon and Princess.

Regards
Kit