Westland Whirlwind turbinlite?

Started by The Rat, December 02, 2023, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Smaller diameter searchlight, mounted in the nose, and used to illuminate targets for Defiant nightfighters. Alternatively, a second Whirlwind with its impressive nose armament as the attacker.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Radar mounted under the chin of the turbinlite?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Sounds like a plan. Two Whirlwinds would make a goof 'hunter-killer' grouping, like the Grumman Guardians were.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2023, 09:38:56 AMSounds like a plan. Two Whirlwinds would make a goof 'hunter-killer' grouping, like the Grumman Guardians were.

Now I have to source 2 of the old Airfix examples. Not going to splurge on something that my plans will be inflicted on.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Wardukw

Dave you could make it wing mounted then ya wouldn't have a figther without any guns and to make things worse..2 lights..one on each wing 😉 😀
Or radar on one wing and a light on the other .
As for armaments..30mm cannon will mess up a ship very nicely.  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

The Whirlwind's strengths were speed & manoeuvrability, chucking a whopping great Turbinlite under one wing would screw that good & propper. :blink:

No, I think the Hunter-Killer duo is a much better idea for these little birds. :thumbsup:

A Havoc II fitted with a Turbinlite;

Now, imagine that stuck under the wing of a tiny Whirlwind! :o  :o  :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

There was one Turbinlite Mosquito.  It appears to have been converted from a fighter as it retained the belly guns.

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/blinded-by-the-light

Ugly fellow isn't it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Beermonster58

Thoughts? Well, I appreciate the Turbinlite was  real but, I'd have thought that if an aeroplane had the means to intercept a nocturnal target then , it might have been a lot more practical  to equip it  with something a bit more lethal than a searchlight .......?  But, as we're after suggestions, how about a B-25?
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2023, 02:13:29 AMThere was one Turbinlite Mosquito.  It appears to have been converted from a fighter as it retained the belly guns.

And the flat windscreen too.

Yes, it IS ugly!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Heard rumours of such a beast, thanks for confirming. But I couldn't do that to a Mosquito. I know that there were even uglier versions, but no, just no. If the Spitfire was the most beautiful single-engine prop fighter of all time, the Mosquito takes that award in the twin-engine category.

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2023, 02:13:29 AMThere was one Turbinlite Mosquito.  It appears to have been converted from a fighter as it retained the belly guns.

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/blinded-by-the-light

Ugly fellow isn't it.

The Rat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on December 03, 2023, 03:50:55 AMThoughts? Well, I appreciate the Turbinlite was  real but, I'd have thought that if an aeroplane had the means to intercept a nocturnal target then , it might have been a lot more practical  to equip it  with something a bit more lethal than a searchlight .......?  But, as we're after suggestions, how about a B-25?

Nice idea, but my heart is set on a Whirlwind. Nostalgia is also involved here, as it's one of the first model kits I ever made, waaaaay back around 1961. If someone takes your suggestion, I will definitely follow that thread!  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

The Turbinlites were an answer to a problem (the large size & great weight of early airborne search radars) & served their purpose until the development of the centimetric radar (which allowed the carriage of guns & radar on the one aircraft without significantly effecting its combat performance) replaced them shortly after their introduction.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

The problem with a Turbinlite in/on a Whirlwind might not be the searchlight itself, but rather the battery packs? Quite heavy, and bulky, too (the Havoc/Boston as well as the Mossie had the bomb bay and respective load capacities).  :rolleyes:

jcf

The hunter-killer pair of Whirlwinds is an amusing notion but I wouldn't want to be the one tasked with figuring out how to coordinate the operation of the pair. It's likely that the turbinlite equipped aircraft would have different flight characteristics compared to a regular Whirlwind.

jcf

This article on Vintage Wings Canada shows why a Turbinlite type installation would be difficult, and how craptastic the entire project was as a concept.

Blinded by the Light

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on December 04, 2023, 11:30:43 AMThis article on Vintage Wings Canada shows why a Turbinlite type installation would be difficult, and how craptastic the entire project was as a concept.

Blinded by the Light

QuoteThe service searchlights in use by the Army and Navy up to this point consumed 150 amps of current. The Helmore Turbinlite drew 1,400 amps. Specially designed 12-volt batteries were created which could discharge in 120 seconds. The 48-battery array was carried in the fuselage and weighed so much (nearly 2,000 lbs) that the Turbinlite aircraft could carry no offensive or defensive armament. The light burned through its carbon rods at a prodigious rate,
[/b]

Hmmm... That seems to put a damper on the idea. Maybe just a radar equipped hunter-killer combo? I wasn't familiar with the actual light, always figured it just ran off a generator from the engine. And, either way, my idea could still turn out to be a failure in the whiffworld!  ;D  ;D