Westland Whirlwind turbinlite?

Started by The Rat, December 02, 2023, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

A bunch of small underwing barbed-head harpoon flare rockets on the AI radar equipped hunter. The ones that hit stick in the skin and illuminate the target for the killer which has two belt-fed 20mm
with large ammo tanks, in place of the four drum
fed cannon. Fewer guns but a longer firing time
so they can hose down those nasty Nazzis.
😉

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on December 04, 2023, 01:59:28 PMA bunch of small underwing barbed-head harpoon flare rockets on the AI radar equipped hunter. The ones that hit stick in the skin and illuminate the target for the killer which has two belt-fed 20mm
with large ammo tanks, in place of the four drum
fed cannon. Fewer guns but a longer firing time
so they can hose down those nasty Nazzis.
😉

;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on December 04, 2023, 01:42:29 PM, always figured it just ran off a generator from the engine.

You and me both Capt
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Powering the light with a generator would require a dedicated generator with a separate engine. The accessory generators of period aircraft powerplants were far too small to power something like the big carbon arc lamp of the Turbinlite, especially with its instantaneous high amp draw. Unlike the aircraft of today the electrical system power demands were much smaller, very minimal on some types.

Gondor

I like this idea but agree with the problems above. This is whiff world though so perhaps a smaller lamp from a Royal Navy ship or something which would not need as much power and then put a small engine/generator in the rear of the fuselage behind the pilot, it would make the aircraft slower but working as a hunter-killer pair or triplet would work. Several Light Whirlwinds flying in line abreast with both vertical and horizontal sepration as a net to drive the intruders towards the hunters would also work as an operational method.
Thinking along the lines of Data in the STNG episode set during the Klingon Civil Was where the Romulans' are aiding the Duras faction in cloaked ships.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

I'm now thinking in terms of a radar equipped hunter, no searchlight.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

zenrat

Quote from: jcf on December 04, 2023, 11:30:43 AMThis article on Vintage Wings Canada shows why a Turbinlite type installation would be difficult, and how craptastic the entire project was as a concept.

Blinded by the Light

I already linked to that mate.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

What if you just used LEDs?  That'd solve your power and size needs in one swell foop.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 08, 2023, 12:57:39 PMWhat if you just used LEDs?  That'd solve your power and size needs in one swell foop.  ;)

'twould also require a time machine.  ;D

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on December 08, 2023, 01:20:36 PM
Quote from: Scotaidh on December 08, 2023, 12:57:39 PMWhat if you just used LEDs?  That'd solve your power and size needs in one swell foop.  ;)

'twould also require a time machine.  ;D
Vworp Vworp
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on December 08, 2023, 03:03:02 PMBelt-fed flashbulbs.
;D

;D  I might still have some for an old Brownie Hawkeye!  ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.