The SARO Shrimp T3

Started by PR19_Kit, December 03, 2023, 09:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

While the SARO Shrimp F2 was being developed, the 10 F1s being considered under-powered and lacking in wing area, the RAF realised that they had no means of training any Shrimp pilots to fly seaplanes. They could hardly train prospective fighter pilots on Sunderlands, after all!

All the previous Shrimp pilots had been ETPS rated test pilots, all of whom had gained their seaplane experience during WWII, on Swordfish, Walrus, Sea Otters and the like, so  SARO were asked to develop a trainer version of their almost unique flying boat jet. The T3s had dual controls, with the instructor sitting behind the pupil under a multi-paned canopy, which was identical to that used on the Gloster Meteor T7 trainer and NF11 night fighter.

In addition both the F2s and T3s had the longer span wings added after the three prototypes and the F1s had flown with the much smaller wings originally fitted. A much more powerful single engine, the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, replaced the twin Beryls used in previous versions, giving the F2s and T3s over double the thrust of the earlier types, while still using the split exhausts used with the lower powered Beryls.

=========================

So here's the build for the SARO Shrimp T3, with its twin seat cockpit and longer wings.  ;D

You can see the longer cut-out to take the T7 canopy here, compared to the standard single seat opening of the other half.

The kit has a nice wing spar to ensure you get the dihedral correct, and to provide a strong joint. Sadly it doesn't fit, and the holes to take it need to be GREATLY enlarged.  :banghead:
Situation normal with many of the Czech produced kits for some reason.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2023, 09:09:59 AMIn addition both the F2s and T3s had the longer span wings added

Hands up everyone who saw that coming!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I thought it would be a bit of a surprise.  ;D

But the Shrimp's standard wings really DO look a tad short.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Looking forward to this

By the way Kit, November's SAM has a couple of photos of No 1 Sqd Furies being flown by Sqn Ldr Spackman, any relation ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Arranging the extra seating position isn't that easy. The wing spar gets in the way a bit, but maybe all the instructors were short? The pupil's seat is a bit basic, and I replaced it with a more detailed one, but it's too tall and would foul the canopy, so a little trimming of its base is needed. The rear instructor's seat on a Meteor T7 must be LOWER than the pupils as the canopy slopes well down at the rear, which seems a bit strange. Nowadays the rear seats are always much higher.

Below you can see the pupil's cockpit glued into one side of the fuselage, and the red arrow marks the rear end of the extra opening that I cut to fit the canopy.

It's slow but I'm getting there, I think..........

I've done a lot more on the model as well, like assembling one wing half, doing one exhaust nozzle and the intake area, but nothing worth another pic as yet.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 04, 2023, 07:09:23 AMLooking forward to this

By the way Kit, November's SAM has a couple of photos of No 1 Sqd Furies being flown by Sqn Ldr Spackman, any relation ?

Not that I know Chris, Dad was 'only' a Flight Sergeant in the UK, but I think I've heard of that guy a few times. People have asked me the same question before.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Got the cockpit sorted now, at least there are two ejector seats which won't foul the canopy now, although there may not be a floor for the rear half just yet......

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2023, 09:09:59 AMIn addition both the F2s and T3s had the longer span wings added after the three prototypes and the F1s had flown with the much smaller wings originally fitted. A much more powerful single engine, the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, replaced the twin Beryls used in previous versions, giving the F2s and T3s over double the thrust of the earlier types, while still using the split exhausts used with the lower powered Beryls.

Assume Armstrong Siddeley took the Beryls much further, producing the Cairngorm, the Garnet, the Tourmaline and thje Jade.................all engines that whiffery might find useful.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Rat

Maybe the spar could have a V or U shape in the middle, vertical or horizontal, to give more internal space for the second crewman? Doesn't need to be visible, just write it in the back story.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on December 04, 2023, 01:46:46 PMMaybe the spar could have a V or U shape in the middle, vertical or horizontal, to give more internal space for the second crewman? Doesn't need to be visible, just write it in the back story.

Actually it turned out not to be a problem. The rear bulkhead of the cockpit rested nicely on the spar itself.  ;D

Made good progress this evening, the cockpit structure's about done, but it'll be a pain to paint, I bet. I've got the exhaust ducts in place on both side and they're different! Typical  Sword, and the intake duct is on too, but I've not used the engine fronts that Chris mentioned in his build, as the T3s had one BIG Sapphire, rather than two titchy Beryls.  ;D

And one wing extension's in place too.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

That wing is much shorter than I thought it would be Kit  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on December 04, 2023, 08:02:05 PMThat wing is much shorter than I thought it would be Kit  ;D

I added quite a long template first, and then chopped it down, bit by bit, till the proportions looked right. It's a FIGHTER trainer, after all.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2023, 04:34:52 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on December 04, 2023, 08:02:05 PMThat wing is much shorter than I thought it would be Kit  ;D

I added quite a long template first, and then chopped it down, bit by bit, till the proportions looked right. It's a FIGHTER trainer, after all.  ;D
You cut the wings down!!??
THATS shocking man ...really shocking 😲 😯  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've painted up the cockpit, what little you can see of it anyway, and it's not too bad. Good enough for Government work.....

And after gluing in the shroud plate in front of the forward panel I glued both halves together, a big step.

It's starting to look like an aeroplane now, even though some of it's a bit rough. Quite why they made the two fairings just forward of the exhausts as separate parts I've no idea, it would have made much more sense to mould them as part of the wing roots. As it is they don't fit that well and need some PSR around the edges where the gaps are.

Regards
Kit