A-51 Svenska flygvapnet Sjörövaren

Started by Gondor, December 13, 2023, 11:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Looking around my model room earlier this week I decided to peek inside one of the older Airfix Buccaneer kits I have in the "To Hand" stash. Bad move as the box contained a new engine front and intakes for the kit. So after a little hacking I decided that erhaps this would be something to follow through with. I had to drop a message to the GB moderators as the cockpit bathtup had been removed from the upper half of the fuselage but that was all the work carried out. Thankfully, or maybe not, the amount of work was deamed minimal and allowed to enter! This is now another build with a deadline  :rolleyes:

So the work so far

The upper upper fuselage is the one for this entry along with the cockpit tub while the lower upper fuselage is for my 45 Squadron entry which apart from the seats will be mostly OOB.

This is the replacement intake section. I have checked scalemates which had no record of it so I have no idea who made it as there are no instructions or packageing left for it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

Interesting...

On the name: I hope Pellson doesn't have to correct me, but the Swedish fighter names always seem to use the definite form, like The Buccaneer. So this would be Sjörövaren, with an n stuck at the end ... like Gripen, Viggen, Draken, Lansen and Tunnan.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: perttime on December 13, 2023, 11:46:10 AMInteresting...

On the name: I hope Pellson doesn't have to correct me, but the Swedish fighter names always seem to use the definite form, like The Buccaneer. So this would be Sjörövaren, with an n stuck at the end ... like Gripen, Viggen, Draken, Lansen and Tunnan.

Not doubting you, however this is not a Fighter but an Attack aircraft.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

buzzbomb

If this is going into a  splinter scheme.. I am so looking forward to this. Something I have had on my back burner build for a some time but never got around to it

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on December 13, 2023, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: perttime on December 13, 2023, 11:46:10 AMInteresting...

Not doubting you, however this is not a Fighter but an Attack aircraft.

Gondor

Pertti's got a point. All Swedish fighter aircraft, whether fighter-interceptors or fighter-bombers have been named in definite form. The Lansen (the lance) and Viggen (the thunderbolt) both started off as attack aircraft, then evolving into other functions, f.i.

Re Sjörövare(n), you could also use the Swedish direct translation for Buccaneer, being Buckanjär(en), both the English and Swedish words being derived from the same French origin.

Regardless of above - I'm much looking forward to follow this build!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

OK, I have hopefully changed the name to a more correct word. I did originally think of doing the aircraft in Feilds and Meadows, but with my recent problems with masking pulling off paint and decals as well as haveing to do at least three colours it's not going to be that, nor plain green.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

What tape are you using for masking?  Since I switched to Tamiya and Kabuki tape, I've had very few issues with either paint creep or paint lifting.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

This is gonna be one well worth watching 👀 👌
As for masking ...Tamiya works for me very nicely and you've seen what I can do with it .
I was lucky to be given a large 35mm wide roll of masking tape and identical to Tamiyas tape.
That's worth hunting down Al ..it's gonna be used for my Ukrainian Harrier.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Yup I'm a Tamiya man when it comes to tape  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I didn't know anyone else made any, tape that actually works anyway..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on December 13, 2023, 01:53:07 PMOK, I have hopefully changed the name to a more correct word. I did originally think of doing the aircraft in Feilds and Meadows, but with my recent problems with masking pulling off paint and decals as well as haveing to do at least three colours it's not going to be that, nor plain green.

This is fine! On the other hand - it always was.  ;)
Re camo - the field-and-meadows is a proper PITB, so I'm with you. May I suggest the venerable "Draken" scheme consisting of Humbrol 77/Humbrol 116 over Humbrol 175, or equivalent? After all, that scheme lived from the mid 60's all the way into the 90's, and even later on some Sk60/SAAB 105's.

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on December 14, 2023, 05:09:43 AM
Quote from: Gondor on December 13, 2023, 01:53:07 PMOK, I have hopefully changed the name to a more correct word. I did originally think of doing the aircraft in Feilds and Meadows, but with my recent problems with masking pulling off paint and decals as well as haveing to do at least three colours it's not going to be that, nor plain green.

Re camo - the field-and-meadows is a proper PITB, so I'm with you. May I suggest the venerable "Draken" scheme consisting of Humbrol 77/Humbrol 116 over Humbrol 175, or equivalent? After all, that scheme lived from the mid 60's all the way into the 90's, and even later on some Sk60/SAAB 105's.

Thank you Pellson, mostly for the Humbrol paint numbers as I was thinking of this or close to it. Field and Meadows if good for land attack but this will be anti-shipping which needs a different colour scheme.

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on December 14, 2023, 06:07:20 AM
Quote from: Pellson on December 14, 2023, 05:09:43 AM

Thank you Pellson, mostly for the Humbrol paint numbers as I was thinking of this or close to it. Field and Meadows if good for land attack but this will be anti-shipping which needs a different colour scheme.

Gondor

A two-colour scheme was tested on the Lansens, only using Hu77 over Hu175. A bit boring, but almost RW.

Gondor

Managed to get the motor tool out for a bit of etectric mayhem on the Bucc, the new intakes now fit comfortably

Viewed from the top

and from the underside

The unside of the upper fuselage, around the cockpit got cut back a bit too

There was excess plastic due to the way that Airfix had moulded the cockput as part of the upper fuselage so it had to be cut back a bit. More may go later.

The sides of the fuselage had to be modified a bit so that the new intakes fitted as can be seen here

I will probably work on detailing the cockpit interior seeing that I have the old Airwaves etch brass set.

Gondor