Dornier Do.17z-11. Suomen Ilmavoimat 1948.

Started by zenrat, December 20, 2023, 03:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Dornier Do.17z-11. Suomen Ilmavoimat 1947.

Dornier Do.17 - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

A small number of Do.17 floatplanes were supplied to Finland during WW2.  They were put into service as unarmed search and rescue aircraft being ideally suited for this work as they were able to operate from the countries many lakes.

Dornier Do.17 - 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

During the early fifties the remaining aircraft were amphibinated by fitting them with undercarriage and retractable rudders to enable them to operate from land as well as water,  This was mainly to improve casualty handling - it being quicker and easier to land on a runway or road and load them directly into an ambulance than to have to firstly get them into a boat.  By this stage of their operational life they were painted silver with high visibility orange panels.

Dornier Do.17 - 1 (1) by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The aircraft pictured is a restored example.  The restorers chose to retain the amphibious flexibility of the undercarriage but painted the airframe in it's wartime RLM65/70/71 scheme.  The photographs were taken at the Dadswell Bridge People' Aviation Museum annual Oktoberfest air show.

Dornier Do.17 - 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

Airfix Do.17z (2014 tool).
Airfix Ju 52 floats (1964 tool) modified to hold retractable undercarriage and with the fronts filled with heaviness.
Main wheels from the Do.17 kit.
Nose undercarriage modified PM Ta.154 main legs and wheels.

Dornier Do.17 - 6 (1) by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The retractable landing gear is a nice touch!  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

That is an excellent bit of modelling, Fred, & the brief backstory is perfectly formed! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, another Zenrat Masterpiece!  :thumbsup:

Looks really good, and the backstory is wholly believable. So much so that I checked to see if there really WERE any Do-17 floatplanes!   :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 20, 2023, 03:36:05 AM... I checked to see if there really WERE any Do-17 floatplanes!   :o

I couldn't find any.  I think they left them to Heinkel.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Brilliant build mate. The combination of the yellow theatre markings and red crosses really makes it stand out  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

loupgarou

Beautiful build. And congratulations for the job on the retractable undercarriage.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

Seconded for sure..or thirded..ive lost count ...epic mate..just plain epic 😎 😍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Fred

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Fred