B-26 Marauder

Started by Sisko, March 21, 2005, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

OK....SEA colors but in a Swedish Splinter pattern?   :P

Is the aircraft too small to be a hurrihunter?

I love the evolved Russian jet thingy.  A fuselage stretch could apply yes?   And, as the Rooshkeez often had a transparent nose, it can be kept in this case.  Lessee---swept wings/tail with Yak-28-like engines, chin radar, upgraded landing gear.   NMF over white.   Lo-vis stars.

And, Alvis, there is sadly only one you.   Fantastic as always!

:cheers:
Daryl J.

PS:  The command transport.....gloss very dark olive over gloss white with a yellow gloss cheat line perchance?    

Geoff

QuoteI love the evolved Russian jet thingy.  A fuselage stretch could apply yes?   And, as the Rooshkeez often had a transparent nose, it can be kept in this case.  Lessee---swept wings/tail with Yak-28-like engines, chin radar, upgraded landing gear.   NMF over white.   Lo-vis stars.
B) Cool idea and not that far from a few pics of early Russian bomber ideas.

You could even do it with straight wings; one of the early designs looks like a B-25 with jets in the place of the IC engines.

Roger the Cabin Boy

Maybe the wartime SAAF Maurauders went on to interesting post-war careers, just like the Venturas did?  Maritime Patrol, VIP transports, target tugs... And finally, with turboprops, as night intruder gunships, privately operated by Executive Outcomes, handy for those continual nasty little wars all over the Dark Continent.

:ar:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

philp

Hey, quit taking my idea.
I proposed the SEA B-26 Nimrod based on the Marauder several months ago.
Someone on the board mentioned replacing the engines with those from a couple of Skyraiders.
No top turret but keep the tail gunner for SAM/AA suppression.
Been trying to figure out how to put the 8 guns in a round nose but will figure it out.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Geoff

The Aussi's A-20s had x4 0.50 cal guns in the nose, the Russians put 4 x20mms in the nose of a Boston/A-20. But gun packs or a bombay gunpack like the Canberras would increase the fwd firepower.

:huh:  

elmayerle

QuoteHey, quit taking my idea.
I proposed the SEA B-26 Nimrod based on the Marauder several months ago.
Someone on the board mentioned replacing the engines with those from a couple of Skyraiders.
No top turret but keep the tail gunner for SAM/AA suppression.
Been trying to figure out how to put the 8 guns in a round nose but will figure it out.
Didn't some versions of the Marauder have several .50-cal gun pods scabbed on around the nose?  I seem to remember reading about some with 14 .50-cal machine guns there.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

Philip:   Rather than put 8 .50's up front, is it possible to put two gun packs based off the SUU-22 (correct designation??)?     Anyhoo what I'm meaning is what the Phantom carried often on two or three hard points for strafing.  

Or, could a single Gatling out of the F-104 be put up there?

Yes the Marauder had scabbed on gun packs on the nose.  There were only 4 extras however.   The Mitchell on the otherhand was a travelling airborne porcupine in some versions.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

GTX

Daryl,

I personally like the idea of the ASW Marauder - maybe in a paint scheme similar to that used by RAF Costal Command aircraft such as this:

Or USN Venturas such as this:

BTW, there seems to have been a lot of confusion over exactly what aircraft you were modelling in the first place.  to help clear the confusion, this is the Marauder:

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Okay, I admit I find this aircraft quite attractive.  I'm looking at alternate developments that -should- have happened, but didn't, for some whif models.

So far I've got:
Nightfigher
Naval Patrol Bomber
Executive transport - either military staff or civilian
Turboprop-powered derivative
Up-rated version with R3350s or R4360s

I'm open to suggestions.  You CGI artists might want to consider some suitable schemes, too.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Gervasius

Something like this?

From Here

I was wondering, maybe early ELINT or AWAC version?

Marko

Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

Maverick

Wicked link Marko...!  

Evan,

There's a gunship B-26 on my thread, but I'm up for mods on the type.  Along with more Beagles & Eagles and Archi's Alt US Army.

Mav

Allan

Me too ever since I read a book by Martin Caidin call Ragged Rugged Warriors I've had a sort of fascination for the Marauder.

In the book Saiden recounts how the plane could be handled almost like a large pursuit plane and was bloody fast in a shallow dive.

Allan in Canberra

Maverick

Allan,

Unfortunately, that ability came at a price.  The ship had a fairly high wing-loading for it's size and cause many accidents amongst new pilots.  Ended up being called 'the Wido Maker' for a while there until the Army Air Corps got their training system sorted.

Still a sweet looking bird tho, I remember doing Airfix's job way back when and I fell in love with it.  Now of course Hasegawa has a couple out that make it look dated too I guess.

Mav

famvburg

QuoteOkay, I admit I find this aircraft quite attractive.  I'm looking at alternate developments that -should- have happened, but didn't, for some whif models.

So far I've got:
Nightfigher
Naval Patrol Bomber
Executive transport - either military staff or civilian
Turboprop-powered derivative
Up-rated version with R3350s or R4360s

I'm open to suggestions.  You CGI artists might want to consider some suitable schemes, too.

ISTR reading somewhere, maybe the Warbird Tech book on it, Martin had proposed a R-3350 version. I don't think it had a drawing or pic. The B-26 that the Confedrate (now Commemorative) Air Force had was an exec transport when they got it in the '60s. It had a radar nose, all sorts of fairings & fillets added at the tail surfaces, pointed tail where the turret had been & probably the same engine mod as On Mark A-26 conversions as it had clean, unducted cowls & big ol' DC-6 - type props, as well as assorted fancy windows, IIRC. Some of their older publications have pics of it then. I'll see if I can round up some.

Archibald

I've heard that there's very, very few B-26 left - because of the "other"
B-26, the Invader!
nearly all Marauders, their spares, drawings and the like were burned just after WWII...

If you need details, the Musee de l'Air et de l'espace restaured a B-26 five years ago, and there's probably a walkaround somewhere on the web...  ;)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.