B-26 Marauder

Started by Sisko, March 21, 2005, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

The old Monogram Snap-tite 1/72 B-26 was great for whiffing - great fit (it had to be!) dirt cheap and just enough detail, with plenty of room for more.

It's probably long OOP, but the Airfix and RoG are still available, for $12 and $10 each.

I'd love to add a turboprop to one. And a T-tail! Or at least move the elevators up a bit.

Frank

philp

My alternate future had the Invader not being produced so the Marader soldiered on in those roles, Night Intruder in Korea and later, Vietnam.  French use in Algeria, etc.
Just thought about using it as a Firebomber, hmmm... maybe I need 3 kits.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Archibald

The AdA actually used both B-26s... Marauders were used by the FAFL (free french) until 1945, then B-26 were used from 1950 to 1963 in Indochina and Algeria.
So had more Marauders been produced in greater numbers, maybe they could have stayed in service longer...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Geoff

How about a AdA B-26 gunship in Algeria alongside the F-47s?

Joe C-P

QuoteAllan,

Unfortunately, that ability came at a price.  The ship had a fairly high wing-loading for it's size and cause many accidents amongst new pilots.  Ended up being called 'the Wido Maker' for a while there until the Army Air Corps got their training system sorted.

Still a sweet looking bird tho, I remember doing Airfix's job way back when and I fell in love with it.  Now of course Hasegawa has a couple out that make it look dated too I guess.

Mav
Only the earliest models had that problem. The wings on later models were extended by 6 feet, which cured the wing-loading problem. Unfortunately the plane already had the reputation by then.

The earliest models also could carry a torpedo. If a pair of depth charges were mounted on the wings, it would make for a good naval patrol bomber, being able to attack both surface ships and submarines.

I built one as a kid as well, one of my earliest dioramas. It's long gone, now, sadly.  :(  I did a lot of work on the base, which was a grass-edged tarmac.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

GTX

Maybe a pure jet or jet assisted version - say they wanted something to counter the Ar-234 and so either added 2 jets under the wings similar to the way the Soviets created the Tu-12 from the Tu-2S:

If the early jets weren't powerful enough, you could up the number to 4  - two in a single pod, similar to the B-45:

Alternatively, they could have kept the piston engines but add a single jet in the tail (with intake ahead of the tail fin) instead of the gunner.  This could be used to give the aircraft a speed boost when required.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Greg's suggestion sets up another idea, a jet engine at the back end of each nacelle with an appropriate intake setup.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Maverick

Wasn't the A2J Savage setup like that?  Jets for speed boost?

Mav

Archibald

QuoteWasn't the A2J Savage setup like that?  Jets for speed boost?

Mav
Yes it was, and more interestingly there had been an Invader with the same mods... if the Savage and invader can do it, why not the Marauder ? Hmmm a
R-3350 + J-35 Marauder...  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

famvburg

QuoteWasn't the A2J Savage setup like that?  Jets for speed boost?

Mav

ISTR only one jet engine.........

upnorth

Well, Triple 7 beat me to the water bomber suggestion.

How about a bird for photo recce?

Or even target tugging?
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

B777LR

Floats, FLOATs! It needs floats! USN float bomber!

kitnut617

Sometime ago, a good friend of mine who knew I liked aircraft gave me an original set of design & engineering pamphlets of the Marauder.  Each pamphlet covers a particular section of the design and the engineering that went into it.

I don't know how common these are but the ones I have are quite old but I think it was post war when they came out with it.  I think it was for teaching purposes.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Maverick

I know the USN flew the A-26 as a target tug, and ISTR that the B-26 was also used, but can't remember if it was a tug or not??

Mav

McGreig

QuoteI know the USN flew the A-26 as a target tug, and ISTR that the B-26 was also used, but can't remember if it was a tug or not??

You're right - the US Navy flew the B-26. It was designated JM-1 and was used as a target tug for training shore based anti-aircraft batteries. Some were finished in a bright overall yellow colour scheme.