B-26 Marauder

Started by Sisko, March 21, 2005, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

QuoteAs near as I can tell, the XB-33 & XB-33A "Super Marauder" designs were high altitude developments intended to replace the B-26.  A bit of looking indicates that they evolved from the B-26 by way of the XB-27 design.  Not outside the scope of what we're discussing, but I'm looking at an un-pressurized, save in a trasnport version or jet version, aircraft.
The four-engined Martin Model 190, XB-33 'Super Marauder', was a competitor of the Boeing B-29 and the Convair B-32 in the heavy bomber category. The twin-engined Model 189 XB-33 high-altitude medium bomber project proving to be a dead end, Martin went back to the drawing board to compete for the heavy bomber contract. Construction of two prototypes was begun in 1942, the project was canceled in favour of the B-29. Martin-Nebraska was selected to build the 50 specially modified B-29s for the 509th Composite Group, the A-Bomb group. Enola Gay and Bockscar were both Martin-built aircraft.
Martin produced a total of 536 B-29s.

'Martin Aircraft 1909-1960' by Briehan/Piet/Mason does not use XB-33 and XB-33A to differentiate between the Models 189 and 190, both are simply XB-33. The 400 ordered but canceled four-engine aircraft are listed as the B-33, the two started but never completed prototypes as XB-33.

The Model 189 bore more similarities and had a closer design relationship to the PBM Mariner than it did to the B-26 or the Model 182, XB-27 proposal.

Cheers, Jon

Jetfixer

I have seen a side view of a B26 being used as a jet test bed, it had French civvie markings and the exhaust was in the tail and there were intakes just under the leading edge similar to those on the T33, maybe something along those lines would be cool?

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

famvburg

QuoteAs near as I can tell, the XB-33 & XB-33A "Super Marauder" designs were high altitude developments intended to replace the B-26.  A bit of looking indicates that they evolved from the B-26 by way of the XB-27 design.  Not outside the scope of what we're discussing, but I'm looking at an un-pressurized, save in a trasnport version or jet version, aircraft.
The four-engined Martin Model 190, XB-33 'Super Marauder', was a competitor of the Boeing B-29 and the Convair B-32 in the heavy bomber category. The twin-engined Model 189 XB-33 high-altitude medium bomber project proving to be a dead end, Martin went back to the drawing board to compete for the heavy bomber contract. Construction of two prototypes was begun in 1942, the project was canceled in favour of the B-29. Martin-Nebraska was selected to build the 50 specially modified B-29s for the 509th Composite Group, the A-Bomb group. Enola Gay and Bockscar were both Martin-built aircraft.
Martin produced a total of 536 B-29s.

'Martin Aircraft 1909-1960' by Briehan/Piet/Mason does not use XB-33 and XB-33A to differentiate between the Models 189 and 190, both are simply XB-33. The 400 ordered but canceled four-engine aircraft are listed as the B-33, the two started but never completed prototypes as XB-33.

The Model 189 bore more similarities and had a closer design relationship to the PBM Mariner than it did to the B-26 or the Model 182, XB-27 proposal.

Cheers, Jon

I knew they were pretty much Marauders in name only, no relation other than being Martins. ISTR the XB-33 twin was about the size of a P2V or even B-24 or B-17 for that matter & the wing was similar to a flattened PBM's & also had the PBM's twin tail.

jcf

French ATAR testbed, modification made circa 1950.

Martin did propose a solid nose version with two 37mm cannon and two .50 MG, other proposals included four .50 wing guns, MX-241 rocket launchers mounted in the rear bomb bay and waist guns moved above the aircraft centerline. Two different dorsal turret positions were also proposed, one 54 inches forward of the standard position and the other ahead of the wing in place of the nav station.

Cheers, Jon

ysi_maniac

I love mix powered aircrafts :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

Never realised how the Rita looked so much similar to american bombers !!  :o

There's some interesting "Jet WWII-bombers" whatifs in E.P Jacobs Blake and Mortimer comics (Basam Damdu's troopers looks like jet-powered Ritas)
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

kitnut617

The neatest Marauder to my thinking was the one converted to test the tandem undercarriage of the XB-51  (B-47/B-52 were similar)  with the outriggers folding away onto the engine nacelles.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

Yeah, I saw pics of this one recently, it looked great!!  :wub:
Seems that its rear fuselage was made stronger  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Maverick

QuoteYeah, I saw pics of this one recently, it looked great!!  :wub:
Seems that its rear fuselage was made stronger
That's a rog, Archi,

The rear fuselage had to be strengthened to take the impact of the centreline undercart at that point, otherwise a heavy landing would have broken it's back.

Mav

ChuckAnderson

Hi Everyone!

How about a.....

(1) High-altitude Marauder,
[with high aspect ratio wings]

(2) A "Wild Weasel" Marauder
Crew of 2 (in tandem seating)
Turboprops (contra-rotating props would look neat)

(3) A standard Marauder with inline, recip engines

(4) Night Fighter version (like the P-61)

(5) Marauder with pusher engines

(6) VSTOL Marauder

(7) A "roadable" Marauder
(From airplane to truck or lorry and back again)

(8) Marauder "Inflatoplane"

(9) Marauder mini-"Super Guppy"

(10) Marauder AWACS version

Chuck

philp

Been reading the latest MAM about the Soviet B-25 Mitchells.  Seems the Russians really wanted the Marauder but picked the Mitchell after their test pilot flew both.

Was thinking the B-26 would look slick in that Russian camo of brown, green & grey uppers and black undersides.

Course, I am still planning on making mine in SEA camo as a B-26K Nimrod (or course).  Since he A-26 Invaders had too many teething problems, they were never put into full production.  This left the Marauder to carry on through Korea and Vietnam.  Course, still haven't figured out how to mount 8 .50's in that round nose.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: JoeP on March 21, 2005, 04:26:18 PM
Just look at its fellow twin-engine bomber, the B-25, for plenty of ideas.

How about a torpedo bomber?

Very late to this party, but...
the B-26 was able to carry torpedoes and was used in that role during the Battle of Midway.

Jon

jcf

Quote from: philp on February 26, 2008, 11:38:42 PM
Been reading the latest MAM about the Soviet B-25 Mitchells.  Seems the Russians really wanted the Marauder but picked the Mitchell after their test pilot flew both.

Was thinking the B-26 would look slick in that Russian camo of brown, green & grey uppers and black undersides.

Course, I am still planning on making mine in SEA camo as a B-26K Nimrod (or course).  Since he A-26 Invaders had too many teething problems, they were never put into full production.  This left the Marauder to carry on through Korea and Vietnam.  Course, still haven't figured out how to mount 8 .50's in that round nose.

The XB-26E project involved modifications to four aircraft:
B-26C-5, 41-34680, Gypsy Rose dorsal turret moved forward to just behind the cockpit.

B-26B-40, 42-43319, twin .50MG and additional windows in the nose, four .50MG in the wings, engines with small scoops and extended nacelles, dorsal turret moved forward to position over the rear bomb bay, horn-balanced rudder.

B-26B-15, 41-31672, Pistol Packin' Mama, 37mm cannon in nose, waist guns moved higher up the side of the fuselage, four .50MG in the wings, engines with small scoops and extended nacelles, horn-balanced rudder.

B-26B-40, 42-43459, wing incidence increased by 3.5 degrees, led to the F & G series.

Jon

r16

anything better than this I got from the Wikipedia and enlarged ?

gooberliberation

How about sending the marauder kicking and screaming into the jet age with a pair of Il-28 wings? :ph34r:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.