American Year Tail Codes

Started by Gondor, December 28, 2023, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I have an idea for a whiff that needs some information that I do not know.

Short story is an existing U.S. Marine aircraft that is repurposed for an alternate role.

So the question is, Does it keep the existing year code it has or will it get a new one with the change of role.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

The airframe will, as a rule, keep it's entire build no (which will start with the year it was ordered/financed) regardless of how it is used. A good example would be the drones built from repurposed fighters, f.i F-4's becoming QF-4's.

Helpful?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on December 28, 2023, 02:06:34 PMThe airframe will, as a rule, keep it's entire build no (which will start with the year it was ordered/financed) regardless of how it is used. A good example would be the drones built from repurposed fighters, f.i F-4's becoming QF-4's.

Helpful?

Yes, very helpfull. Now I have to check what the U.S. Marines did for unit codes  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on December 28, 2023, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: Pellson on December 28, 2023, 02:06:34 PMThe airframe will, as a rule, keep it's entire build no (which will start with the year it was ordered/financed) regardless of how it is used. A good example would be the drones built from repurposed fighters, f.i F-4's becoming QF-4's.

Helpful?

Yes, very helpfull. Now I have to check what the U.S. Marines did for unit codes  :rolleyes:

Gondor
Navy & Marine aircraft use Bureau numbers (BUNO).  Only the Air Force uses the AF/2 digit FY date/serial number codes.

This might be a useful source for you: https://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/navyserials.html
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

What time period are you looking at, as that will have a lot to do with specific aircraft designation and tail codes. Before 1962 the USN and USMC used an aircraft designation system that was completely different from that used by the USAF.

USN/USMC Tail Codes

Gondor

During Vietnam War so post 65.

Gondor

Gondor

Thanks @jcf  I have now managed to find something suitable for what I need. The references you posted were a big help in pointing me in the right direction.  :thumbsup:

Gondor

jcf