My stash just grew again 2024

Started by Spey_Phantom, December 31, 2023, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

The "Temporal Traveller" looks good ... I shall call him "Tom". ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 23, 2024, 01:47:27 PMForgot to mention what I got at the London Show today. I did tell Dave and Chris that I wasn't going to buy a kit. Technically I didn't - it's a figure.

At least I was open about it and didn't wait until the others had gone before making my buy.

On the basis that one can't attend a model show without buying something I treated myself to this  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2024, 01:49:47 AM
Quote from: Nick on March 23, 2024, 01:47:27 PMForgot to mention what I got at the London Show today. I did tell Dave and Chris that I wasn't going to buy a kit. Technically I didn't - it's a figure.

At least I was open about it and didn't wait until the others had gone before making my buy.

On the basis that one can't attend a model show without buying something I treated myself to this  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

Dutch East Indies?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Assuming I get around to building the 1/48th scale stuff I've recently acquired they will be real world, sorry. So either FAA or I'm quite attracted to a grey/white USN one.

Quote from: Gondor on March 24, 2024, 02:07:51 AMDutch East Indies?

Gondor

Now that's an interesting thought for some other 1/72 US naval aircraft in the stash  :thumbsup:  So maybe an early Wildcat in NEIAF colours instead of their Buffalo's ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

I went to the same show as Chris and Nick and came away with a pair of razor saw blades!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Quote from: Steel Penguin on March 23, 2024, 03:02:21 PMNick,  they do a very wide range of figures " inspired" by TV and Film faves......  :rolleyes:   and one day its going to bite them very hard,  and it will be a hell of a shame...

Isn't that sort of thing common?  I've bought sets of figures described as something like "ghost hunting teenagers with great dane" from two other online figure businesses.
I suppose it depends on the owner of the intellectual property.  I hear the company represented by a mouse can be very litigious...

Quote from: Nick on March 23, 2024, 01:47:27 PM...I have decided to try my hand at a figure that is described as a Cyborg Enforcer. I'm calling him Murphy  ;)
https://crooked-dice.co.uk/product/cyborg-enforcer/

Ah, that cyborg enforcer.  My mind went to the other one.  The one you might have called Arnold.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

Zenrat   it was rather more so until a few years ago, when some one mentioned it to the BBC regarding a certain temporal vagabond,  as they were licencing it to various toy and game company's at the time, a lot of the small company's making not XX and inspired by minis got if not full on lawyers letters, certainly warnings regarding skirting IP.   Several of the company's i purchased from suddenly renamed or withdrew figures, and others became far, far more circumspect in dealings,   But its not like it hasnt happened before  I have a very good set of "off world explores who travel through a circular gate to the stars "  and the snake symbiotic  staff warriors and god / lord opponents that were done, they were available for a wile till the company got a similar letter, then vanished...  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

Quote from: zenrat on March 22, 2024, 03:25:30 AMi've opened one up.  Moulded in darker grey than i've seen Airfix use recently.  Prominent sink marks on the fuselage halves over the alignment pins and sockets mean if built OOB all that lovely rivetty goodness will be lost to the PSR faireys (sic).  Props are on each end of a frame with no protecting sprues outside them and are therefore vulnerable to the box being shaken.  Both are intact on the kit I opened but I've seen similar design on other old airfix moulds (1/144 Vanguard for example  which arrived in my hands with 3 out of 4 props missing blades).
And, as has been reported elsewhere about these repops the rear door hinge parts are missing their pins.  All four appear to have been sheared off.
One scheme is provided - the Fairey prototype.  Shame they didn't take the opportunity to knock up a set for something like BEA or Dan Air (or TAA or Ansett) but then the whole raison d'ĂȘtre of the vintage classics seems to be to just reproduce what was other than upgrade it in any way.
Lets eee what the aftermarket provides.

Further to the above I have had a good look at the kit I opened.
While there is only minimal flash in a few places there are a lot of ejector pin marks.  There are also marks on the other side of parts from ejector pin marks which suggest to me that the executor pins have damaged the moulds somehow.
And there is significant pitting in places.  All of this suggests to me that these moulds have not been looked after as well as they could have been.
I'm not sure if they could be brought up to scratch or are too damaged but I do know I am disappointed with what Airfix have produced.
Producing a kit from an old mould which is in good condition is one thing as everyone knows what to expect in terms of detail, accuracy, raised panel lines etc but this is different.  It's produced from moulds which are not up to standard and is not something I would have expected from Airfix.
I won't be buying anymore of this issue.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It looks very much as if Airfix rushed the 'new' 'dynes into production without doing ANYthing to the old moulds. Shame on them!  :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Had a wee meeting up with me mate Perrin today to finish some work on his Hilux Surf..sway bar bushes needed replacement so I did ..ten minutes later and all done  :thumbsup:
It was also a bit of a swap meet ..I was giving him an old Italeri M109 SPG and an Academy F16...in turn I came home with one kit I knew off and one I really didn't expect..the I knew of is a 72nd Esci Kamov Ka50 Hokum ..this is for reference for a build I'm going to do ..a pretty serious one . ;)
The one I didn't expect is a Border model limited edition T34/76 factory 112. 2in1..this kit is in a wooden box guys with the kit stenciled on the lid .
I told Perrin I needed the lower hull of a T34 for a VT34 conversion ive got...ge said he had one he started and didn't want..damn this is cool and I'm gonna make great use of it  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

I saw my 3-D Printer Guy yesterday and collected a couple of things he's been resin printing for me:

1/72 PACV, scaled up from a 1/100 wargames model, and looks pretty cool - looking forward to getting to grips with this one; I've only been meaning to scratchbuild one for twenty years or so...
A couple of 54mm figures, scanned & scaled up from some 20mm white metal ones - so not the best, but ok for now with replacement faces and maybe a bit of careful scribing/redefining.
4X wheels for the Fox Armoured Car I had printed in 1/35 last year - the filament printed wheels were lacking (especially the rims - or lack thereof), so these will lift the model considerably.

Still to come, some tweaked 'fidget spinners' that will work for the lift engines of something based on the Nord 500 design.

Gondor

Arrived today from various places. From eBay

1 x 1/72 Dragon 5006 He 219A-7 Owl. Very second-hand going by the box, with the instructions for an A-0 inside :unsure: Almost the same but different radar and the A-7 has flame dampers.

From Starling Models

2 x 1/600 STA136 Deck Lockers
1 x 1/600 STA140 Modern Royal Navy liferaft canisters
1 x 1/600 STA143 Royal Navy modern torpedo tubes and chaff launchers
1 x 1/600 STU01 Upgrade set for Airfix HMS Devonshire. I have at least one of these already, but I wanted some decent Exocet canisters and a few other items so I got another set.

From Quaycraft

1/192 drawings of the following Leander Frigates
H.M.S. Cleopatra Exocet conversion
H.M.S. Leander Ikara conversion
H.M.S. Charybois Sea Wolf conversion, pages 1 & 2.
This means that I now have all the drawings by Quaycraft of Leander frigates in all their guises.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on March 25, 2024, 12:14:35 PM1/192 drawings of the following Leander Frigates
This means that I now have all the drawings by Quaycraft of Leander frigates in all their guises.

Bear in mind that there were variations in some "standards" of conversion from the start, and that some subsequently received other conversions.

Off the top of my head and by no means comprehensive:

Original Exocet conversions (1970s):
Some ships had the STWS-1 torpedo tubes at main deck level either side of the hangar doors, while others had them one deck higher and further forward.

Towed Array Exocet conversions (early 1980s - 4 ships):
Some ships had a sponson at the stern to accomodate the towed array drum while others didn't.
Some/All ships had a modern 20mm GAM-B01 AAA gun mounted at the stern next to the towed array drum.
All ships had the Exocet tubes lowered, on mountings that resemble the Seawolf ships.
All ships had the forward Seacat launcher removed.
Some ships had the forward Seacat director replaced by an old-style 20mm Oerlikon on a bandstand.
40mm Bofors removed and replaced by old-style 20mm Oerlikons.
Type 965 radar removed and replaced with Type 1010 IFF aerial on a slimmer mast.

Towed Array Ikara conversions (early 1980s - 1 ship):
Might have had a sponson at the stern to accomodate the towed array drum while others didn't.
Might have had a 20mm GAM-B01 AAA gun mounted at the stern next to the towed array drum.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on March 25, 2024, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: Gondor on March 25, 2024, 12:14:35 PM1/192 drawings of the following Leander Frigates

Bear in mind that there were variations in some "standards" of conversion from the start, and that some subsequently received other conversions.

Off the top of my head and by no means comprehensive:

Original Exocet conversions (1970s):
Some ships had the STWS-1 torpedo tubes at main deck level either side of the hangar doors, while others had them one deck higher and further forward.

Towed Array Exocet conversions (early 1980s - 3 ships):
Some ships had a sponson at the stern to accomodate the towed array drum while others didn't.
Some/All ships had a modern 20mm GAM-B01 AAA gun mounted at the stern next to the towed array drum.
All ships had the Exocet tubes lowered, on mountings that resemble the Seawolf ships.
All ships had the forward Seacat launcher removed.
All ships had the forward Seacat director replaced by an old-style 20mm Oerlikon on a bandstand.
40mm Bofors removed and replaced by old-style 20mm Oerlikons.
Type 965 radar removed and replaced with Type 1010 IFF aerial on a slimmer mast.

Towed Array Ikara conversions (early 1980s - 1 ship):
Might have had a sponson at the stern to accomodate the towed array drum while others didn't.
Might have had a 20mm GAM-B01 AAA gun mounted at the stern next to the towed array drum.

Oh I know, it's a minefield

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=42004.0

Gondor

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2024, 05:40:22 AMIt looks very much as if Airfix rushed the 'new' 'dynes into production without doing ANYthing to the old moulds. Shame on them!  :(
I know very little about such matters but, is there anything they COULD do to the old moulds?  Last time I bought one of these kits was about 15 years ago and, much of the issues described earlier were present. Nothing insurmountable but, it still took a lot of effort to get a good result. I also acquired one of the Revell kits and, even though not truly 1/72, it was in much better shape . The biggest issue was the truly abysmal fit of the fuselage side panel.

Based on my previous experience, I won't be bothering with the reissued Rotodyne kit. I don't mind putting effort in but, when it becomes a chore, that's when I draw the line! ;)  ;D
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!