My stash just grew again 2024

Started by Spey_Phantom, December 31, 2023, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 26, 2024, 01:40:03 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2024, 05:40:22 AMIt looks very much as if Airfix rushed the 'new' 'dynes into production without doing ANYthing to the old moulds. Shame on them!  :(
I know very little about such matters but, is there anything they COULD do to the old moulds?  Last time I bought one of these kits was about 15 years ago and, much of the issues described earlier were present. Nothing insurmountable but, it still took a lot of effort to get a good result. I also acquired one of the Revell kits and, even though not truly 1/72, it was in much better shape . The biggest issue was the truly abysmal fit of the fuselage side panel.

Based on my previous experience, I won't be bothering with the reissued Rotodyne kit. I don't mind putting effort in but, when it becomes a chore, that's when I draw the line! ;)  ;D

I've only built one of the earlier releases and it wasn't as bad as the one I have inspected.  I can't remember just how old it was.
However, if the moulds were damaged 15 years ago then they definitely should not have rereleased the kit without doing something about it.
Could they do something?  I don't see why not.  Round 2 are busy repopping most of AMT, MPC, and Lindbergs back catalogue and they seem to be managing to produce decent kits from the old moulds.  They are even reinstating parts removed from previous repops.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

I started and gave up on an Airfix Rotodyne some years ago. Just not a nice build and the rear doors wouldn't go on.. and all those rivets on a machine that barely had any in the first place  :rolleyes:

This really deserved a proper re-release with refurbed moulds or even a whole new moulding. But now that these are out there Airfix have fulfilled the Rotodyne market and removed any incentive to do a proper job.

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on March 26, 2024, 03:59:08 AMI started and gave up on an Airfix Rotodyne some years ago. Just not a nice build and the rear doors wouldn't go on.. and all those rivets on a machine that barely had any in the first place  :rolleyes:

This really deserved a proper re-release with refurbed moulds or even a whole new moulding. But now that these are out there Airfix have fulfilled the Rotodyne market and removed any incentive to do a proper job.

Unfortunately you are right.  No chance of a decent new mould 1/72 version now.  Not from Airfix anyway.

Given the sink marks and the fit I can't see how anyone could retain the rivets.  Especially as they are raised.

I'm very disappointed.  It's like I went on a date expecting Barbarella only to find Grace Hanson...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

The Wooksta!

Glad I didn't get one, although I'm fortunate to have a bagged 1996 release tucked away, as well as a red stripe boxed one, plus a built one bought as part of a job lot to salvage.  When I get out of the captured Luftwaffe rabbit hole  that is.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 26, 2024, 05:03:20 AMGlad I didn't get one, although I'm fortunate to have a bagged 1996 release tucked away, as well as a red stripe boxed one, plus a built one bought as part of a job lot to salvage.  When I get out of the captured Luftwaffe rabbit hole  that is.

Speaking of which, this month's AMW has a historical feature on the Me 410 which includes some profiles of captured aircraft in British and Russian markings.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on March 26, 2024, 04:15:50 AMI'm very disappointed.  It's like I went on a date expecting Barbarella only to find Grace Hanson...

Knew you reminded me of somebody...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Wardukw

Just scored a Aoshima 1/24 Scale Subaru Legacy S/W...it was very very cheap considering how much these Aoshima models cost here .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on March 26, 2024, 09:23:03 AMJust scored a Aoshima 1/24 Scale Subaru Legacy S/W...it was very very cheap considering how much these Aoshima models cost here .

I built one of them for the Blue Lights GB back in '21.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49152.msg924811#msg924811

Nice kit IIRC.  Easy to lower.
Fred

McColm

I've just bought a built 1/24 Tamiya Racing Jaguar Mk2 off eBay. It's more like a spares or repair model as there's various parts missing and a few loose bits.
I won't be shortening the body but since the rear door handles are missing this could be the two door version/coupe.

Gondor

Received a few items today

From Colin who is Freightdog

1 x 1/72 Guerrilla Models GM2701HS Buccaneer S.50 (early) resin conversion set. This is going with all the other bits and pieces I have bought to update the old Airfix Buccaneer.

2 x Rotot Craft RC72224A Wessex/UH-34 fuselage correction set.

From eBay

1 x 1/72 Dragon 5029 Heinkel He219B-1. Kit would like this as it has extended wings, though not as much as the Hütter Hü 211 which had far longer wings

From the BIG yellow H

1 x 1/72 Reskit RSU72-52 Canberra Wheels Bays
1 x 1/72 Print Scale 72-376 Gloster Javelin. Mk-7. Mk-8. Mk-9 Part 5
2 x 1/72 Airwaves AEC72135 Gloster Javelin FAE 9/9R

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on March 27, 2024, 09:14:21 AM1 x 1/72 Dragon 5029 Heinkel He219B-1. Kit would like this as it has extended wings, though not as much as the Hütter Hü 211 which had far longer wings

Oh yes, and contra-props too! What's not to like?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

There are conflicting details on the Hutter 211, as one wind tunnel model seems to be a Ju 388 front end married to a new fuselage.  It definitely was to have had long wings and Jumo 222 engines.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 28, 2024, 06:21:34 AMThere are conflicting details on the Hutter 211, as one wind tunnel model seems to be a Ju 388 front end married to a new fuselage.  It definitely was to have had long wings and Jumo 222 engines.

There were two different "versions" proposed, a Night-Fighter and a Recconance/Bomber. As both prototypes were destroyed in an Air Raid near the end of 1944 we will never know for sure what they looked like.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Received today from eBay

1 x 1/72 Valom 72030 Bristol Brigand B.Mk.1

1 x 1/600 Shapeways Early Exocet/Seacat Leander conversion. To be converted into the Sea Wolf version.

Gondor

The Rat

Quote from: Gondor on March 28, 2024, 11:30:24 AM1 x 1/72 Valom 72030 Bristol Brigand B.Mk.1

Would love to see that one, and hear your opinion of it. A seriously underepresented aircraft in modelling circles.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr