1/72 SAAB VTOL Close Air Support project

Started by Pellson, December 31, 2023, 07:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Having tried a few different wings, noses and tail configurations, this is where I am right now.

You cannot view this attachment.

This is, as you can see, not derived from the actual SAAB design but rather an interpretation of what I think a Swedish VTOL, or perhaps rather a STOVL design could have become.

The main changes are the larger wing and, obviously, the radar nose. Both are driven by the main Swedish Cold War strategy, to deny an enemy foothold on Swedish territory by denying him sea transport. The main tool for this - the Rb04 anti ship missile.
Just fitting two of these missiles will require longer wings than the Harrier, but that will also mean heavier wings, and the fuel for a trip from the Swedish mainland to Kaliningrad and back will weigh even more. Effectively, this will prevent vertical take-off given the limitations of the existing Pegasus power plant. However, the Harriers 300 m CTOL take-off run cannot be allowed to increase if you want to maintain the dispersability. Hence, the bigger wing, triggered by the missiles, but provided with bigger flaps and perhaps even slats should compensate.

And - here we are.

I chose a T-tail for two reasons:
  • The increased controllability at STOL takeoffs, achieved by lifting the control surfaces out of the turbulence from the jet efflux, and
  • The definitive departure from the original Harrier design.
And using the SAAB 105 trainer as an inspiration, I'm pretty happy with it. The nose, however, will be needing more work. It's just too anorectic.

Well, well. I'll dig deeper in my spares boxes, but I might have to turn something from raw material. And that's not something I've done before.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

That is looking very good indeed. It's a Harrier but not a Harrier  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

That does have a remarkably 'Swedish' look to it somehow.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

Looking good, there.  :thumbsup:

Re the nose, I dunno - the RW GR3 one was pretty small-diameter - long, but skinny.

Still; Your Model, Your Choice. 

perttime

If the nose needs to be bigger, Is there some other nose that could replace everything forward of the intakes?

Dizzyfugu

That's cool. Harrier hull and J29 wings are a comba that is hard to beat.  :thumbsup:

BTW: I dug up pics from my Franken-Harrier with similar ingredients - mine had inverted gull wings, no main wheel (and stronger twin-wheel struts under the wings) and a separate afterburner exhaust in the tail:

Unfinished 'supersonic Harrier' kit conversion, 20+ years old
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Unfinished 'supersonic Harrier' kit conversion, 20+ years old
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

;D

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: perttime on January 09, 2024, 11:43:41 PMIf the nose needs to be bigger, Is there some other nose that could replace everything forward of the intakes?

What works well on a Harrier is the whole nose section from a MiG-23 or -27, esp. from the Academy/Hasegawa kit, which offers separate sections.

Here's a MiG-27 nose on a Matchbox Harrier, with respective intake transplants:

1:72 Yakovlev Yak-138 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Weaver

That nose is very credible. It might possibly need a longer "barrel" section between the radome and the airframe proper in order to accomodate the radar electronics "can".
In 1975 the Harrier was tested with the MARTEL anti-ship missile, and for this it was given a new nose with a multi-mode radar:

Posted on Twitter(X) by Harrier Preservation Society here: https://x.com/HarrierPres/status/1456670682826248195?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

That's looking cool, I did not know that conversion.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mat

Great bulid Pellson. Look very SAAB'ish. But I still think that the SAAB Projekt 1500-01 is worth an attempt. I have an horrible Mistercraft Harrier GR.7 in my stash - brought by accident. Mayby this crap could be turned into something more usefull.

Dizzyfugu

Similar thoughts here, with a Matchbox Sea Harrier somewhere in The Stashâ„¢ and certainly some delta wings (MiG-21 or Mirage III) in the donor banks to create something along the lines of the P 1500-01 concept drawing.  :wacko:

Vulcan7

Quote from: Pellson on January 09, 2024, 01:25:05 PMHaving tried a few different wings, noses and tail configurations, this is where I am right now.

You cannot view this attachment.

This is, as you can see, not derived from the actual SAAB design but rather an interpretation of what I think a Swedish VTOL, or perhaps rather a STOVL design could have become.

The main changes are the larger wing and, obviously, the radar nose. Both are driven by the main Swedish Cold War strategy, to deny an enemy foothold on Swedish territory by denying him sea transport. The main tool for this - the Rb04 anti ship missile.
Just fitting two of these missiles will require longer wings than the Harrier, but that will also mean heavier wings, and the fuel for a trip from the Swedish mainland to Kaliningrad and back will weigh even more. Effectively, this will prevent vertical take-off given the limitations of the existing Pegasus power plant. However, the Harriers 300 m CTOL take-off run cannot be allowed to increase if you want to maintain the dispersability. Hence, the bigger wing, triggered by the missiles, but provided with bigger flaps and perhaps even slats should compensate.

And - here we are.

I chose a T-tail for two reasons:
  • The increased controllability at STOL takeoffs, achieved by lifting the control surfaces out of the turbulence from the jet efflux, and
  • The definitive departure from the original Harrier design.
And using the SAAB 105 trainer as an inspiration, I'm pretty happy with it. The nose, however, will be needing more work. It's just too anorectic.

Well, well. I'll dig deeper in my spares boxes, but I might have to turn something from raw material. And that's not something I've done before.

I obviously like the look of this one, it reminds me of the Harrierneer  ;D  ;) ... I really like your original drawing though  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"