The Captain's Neverending Supply of Harriers

Started by Captain Canada, March 21, 2005, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hey !

Now that I've finally got my ALARMs, I've began working on my SlingSHAR again. A SlingSHAR is a catapault launched sea-going a/c, that uses JATO bottles to gain speed and altitude, greatly increasing it's range. They have no landing gear, again to improve range. Recovery is performed by a winch and cable/ beartrap system. This two-seater also has the big spine, carrying fuel and avionics.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Lookin' good! But without gear, what does it actually sit on? Skids like a helicopter? Perhaps retractable ones? One possible problem I see is that if the airframe doesn't sit far off the deck the jet efflux could cause some damge from the heat. Or does it get hauled down into some sort of support trolley?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hobbes

lancer

Looking good there Toad...lts see it Finished now!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Looks like you've done a fair old bit of splicing there Todd.  Hows about a photo of the front so's we can see all the work you've done?  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

QuoteLookin' good! But without gear, what does it actually sit on? Skids like a helicopter? Perhaps retractable ones? One possible problem I see is that if the airframe doesn't sit far off the deck the jet efflux could cause some damge from the heat. Or does it get hauled down into some sort of support trolley?
Hey Rat,
   My Idea is to have a central retractable rod in the center of the centreline pylon. It will carry a drop tank, so that must be jettisoned before alighting. The cable will drop down and be retrieved by the beartrap, and then the SHAR will be pulled down onto a cradle.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

QuoteNo Skyhook?
No skyhook. Although it looks neat, the Canadian Admiralty has deemed it impractical in the harsh environment of the North Atlantic. Prefering instead the Canadian devloped Beartrap system.

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

QuoteLooks like you've done a fair old bit of splicing there Todd.  Hows about a photo of the front so's we can see all the work you've done?  B)
Not much....a little bump from the GR.4 kit and the same German bomb nose that my Aggressor Hawk had.

I hope to do some more work on her tonite...so check in later for another in-progress pic !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Amphion

Quote...... Although it looks neat..........
I'll second that.

Looks like something that could be deployed by the RSwN.
Amphion

elmayerle

If anyone is interested, I have managed to acquire a copy of the BAE brochure on the Skyhook system with seme decent details and such for the modeler.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Like I said, it looks neat and all, but how do you recover a jet in heavy sea states ? Is the arm ( or crane or what-have-you ) compensated for the roll of the ship ?

Seems alot easier to just haul the SHAR down via cable like the beartrap used of CDN ships.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

viper29_ca

Why not make it easier, and just land on the rear deck, and then roll the Harrier into the hangar deck....looks like a straight shot right through.

Redesign the rear of the ship so it has an upper level deck and hangar for the helo(s)
Thanks
Scott
Elm City Hobbies

http://www.elmcityhobbies.com

Madoc

QuoteLike I said, it looks neat and all, but how do you recover a jet in heavy sea states ? Is the arm ( or crane or what-have-you ) compensated for the roll of the ship ?

Seems alot easier to just haul the SHAR down via cable like the beartrap used of CDN ships.

As I recall, that system was designed to snag the Harrier in _any_ sea state.  All the pilot had to do was hold his jet steady with a rather basic aiming point on the grappling arm mount.  That mount was three-axis stabilized and even if the ship was bucking and heaving all over the place it would've been rock steady.  

The crane would've extended a docking (latching?) arm down from its tip.  That arm would've been what first contacted the latch point on the Harrier's surface.  With a positive latching indicated, the arm would've been reeled up and steadied with the rest of the crane until the crane's support arms made full contact with the jet.  At this point the Harrier would've been firmly grasped and locked in.  With that feat achieved, the crane would've been able to move the jet aboard and on to its shipboard cradle.

From the literature I've read about this, the Harrier could've been fully serviced on deck - automatically.  This included not only refueling but also rearming.  This was to allow operations in a NBC contaminated environment.  With the plane regenerated it was simply hoisted aloft and overboard for a reverse of its "docking" procedure.

Hawker Siddley did develop the latching / docking mechanism on its own and tested it out pretty fully.  It still could be deployed.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

The Rat

QuoteAs I recall, that system was designed to snag the Harrier in _any_ sea state.
Not saying it wouldn't work, in fact I have no doubt that it would, but the Beartrap is so simple in concept, construction, and use that I don't see how it could be bettered.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Preach it, brother rat !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?