The Captain's Neverending Supply of Harriers

Started by Captain Canada, March 21, 2005, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Well, the BAE brochure on Skyhook shows it as being able to work in Sea State 6, so I think ti'd be adaptable and, really, it's a fairly simple and straight forward system, too.  Lots simpler that, say, the taragieze concepts the FICON and Akron/Macon used.  I do have the full brochure if anyone's interesting.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Sure, but I still can't see how it could be any easier than hauling it down to it's cradle by a cable.......

Especially if you've got an a/c carrying submarine, the beartrap just makes too much sense ! But you'll have to wait till I get my Strom Class sub finished to see that !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Madoc

Evan,

"I do have the full brochure if anyone's interesting."

Well, I think there are a number of folks who are interesting.

I also would like to see a copy of that brochure as well!

:P

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

WeeJimmy

Strom Class Sub?

Now I've got to see a teaser pick of that.  Come on now?

Is that Strom as in Stromness or as in Strombecker or as in Strom day after I finish drinkin beer I'm going to finish that sub :D  

elmayerle

QuoteEvan,

"I do have the full brochure if anyone's interesting."

Well, I think there are a number of folks who are interesting.

I also would like to see a copy of that brochure as well!

:P

Madoc
Okay, I can see I'm going to have to scan it and post those online.  More fun to find a spot to do so. :)  I'll see what I can do over the next couple weekends.

Hobbes

QuoteSure, but I still can't see how it could be any easier than hauling it down to it's cradle by a cable.......

Especially if you've got an a/c carrying submarine, the beartrap just makes too much sense ! But you'll have to wait till I get my Strom Class sub finished to see that !

;)
One disadvantage of Beartrap is that someone has to be on deck to attach the cable. In high sea states that can be dangerous. Also, I wouldn't want to be underneath a hovering Harrier (with a Pegasus running at full power, blasting the deck with hot gases) while trying to attach the cable.

elmayerle

That is the advantage in that Skyhook comes in from above the aircraft and stays out of the exhaust flows.

NARSES2

All this talk of landing aircraft with hook's, slings,nets & traps etc reminds me of the problem's they used to have in securing derigables to mooring masts ! Wouldn't fancy the job in a high sea that's for sure

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

John Howling Mouse

More pics, already, Todd!!!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

A heavy-ish steel ball that is attracted to the trap by electro-magnets....no problem there !

And yes, yes ! Now that I got my weekends worth of boozing out of the way last night ( you should have seen the spectacular crash into a tree and then a fence @ 3am doubling my brother-in-law on the handlebars of my mountain bike ! ) I'm almost recovered enough to start building again...hope to knock off the Lightning, CF-177B, as well as the SlingSHAR and a trolley for her to sit on.

:dum:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Here she is, on her land-based take-off cart and tug

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

With the sisters.........

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

DAMN! It's 'that time' for Monica and now you've given me the horn!  :o  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Love the three sisters picture  :wub: Something about that nose though !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Thanks boys ! Harriers are truly lovely birds.......... :wub:

And I do agree, Chris...that's one ugly nose ! But, she houses one powerful radar ! And that, combined with ALARM missiles, spells certain death for Aegis type ships ! When launched from subs, the poor buggers won't know what hit 'em !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?