Bristol Beaufort MKIV, Landhelgisgæsla Íslands 1945

Started by Doug K, January 01, 2024, 08:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Backstory
The Icelandic Commonwealth entered the war on the Allied side in 1940, having seen the fall of Norway and annexation of Denmark, the people of the ancient medieval Republic voted to support joining British Commonwealth forces in the struggle against the Axis threatening the remainder of Northern Europe. Immediately the island Nation became an unsinkable aircraft carrier.

Once the US joined the effort, long-range US, Canadian and RAF bombers became part of the anti-U-Boat force base in Iceland, however the Icelandic Coastguard (Landhelgisgæsla Íslands) took responsibility for medium range protection of convoys and anti-ship duties, operating from Iceland itself and the Faeroes, with occasional forays to Shetland (linking up with aircraft of the Royal Scots Navy).

Initial aircraft were a mishmash of escaped Norwegian Heinkel 115s and Dutch Fokker T.VIIIs and while these performed well, the lack of spares and seaplane limitations were identified as an issue. The Icelanders cast around for a proven medium airframe, reasonably fast but with a heavy forward armament. They required a reasonable crew, for observation in these pre-radar days and a bomb or torpedo load as required.

The Bristol Beaufort was proven, early on, but had limitations when threatened by modern fighters (less of an issue while the Graf Zeppelin was trapped in a Norwegian Fjord) but its firepower was limited. The decision was made to request that Bristol build a version of the Beaufort with the Beaufighter wing armament and Merlin engines, which became the Beaufort MKIV.

The Beaufort MkIV served the Icelanders well, right through to the early 1950s when they were replaced due to fatigue and sheer attrition.

The Model

My previous play in this universe created this Icelandic P41D and I'd intended this for the engine Swap GB.... but life got in the way.

It's the standard Airfic Beaufort with the Torpedo deleted (stolen for my Tempest build here an painted in the RAF's proposed Polar Camo.
Wings came from the AlleyCat Beaufighter MkII resin conversion kit (which turned out to be incomplete (missing the engines I wanted) and had iffy wingtips - hence the go-faster clip).

Bringing the resin & styrene together was less traumatic than I'd feared, there were some large areas to replace/fill as the AlleyCat resin was designed for the Airfix Beaufighter MkX bit apart from the iffy wingtips the resin is beautifully detailed.

Tamiya acrylics and a hairy stick coloured it in, and weathering with artists chalks sealed with matt acrylic varnish.
Not completely happy with the decal paper brand I chose, the white background is way, way too thick but once in place I couldn't face starting again!!

IMG_2275 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_2273 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_2268 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_2267 by doug_alba, on Flickr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

This is a very very cool build ...its a twin to so its an  instantly like ...being that its a brilliant build too is excellent  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Doug K

Thanks guys, it pairs with the P41D quite nicely on the shelf

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2024, 12:39:40 AMI do like the look of that  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the slimmer engines really make it look faster and more "elegant", if that is possible.  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 02, 2024, 12:54:49 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2024, 12:39:40 AMI do like the look of that  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the slimmer engines really make it look faster and more "elegant", if that is possible.  ;D

Not totally sure it is possible but the first thing I thought when I got the wings fitted and was checking them for alignment, from the front, was CASA 111 (but smaller)

PR19_Kit

All that glass in the nose, plus the two Merlins maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

uncletain

Excellent build
Love the colour scheme
Hoping for some more additions to the line up  :thumbsup: