How I deal with Photo Etch

Started by Gondor, January 05, 2024, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Over the years I have increased my use of Photo Etch in my models, mainly in the cockpit. Duering the time I have been buying Photo Etch I have seen the quality of the products improve as time has gone by.

As the finesse of the parts has improved so the size of some parts has reduced, to that end I bought a set of these

This set is by Hobbycraft and has a rechargable lamp to give that extra illumination where you are looking as well as a choice of magnification as well as legs or headband. The section that the lens fits into can rotate upwards out of the way so no need to keep removeing them.

The Glue I am currently using is this

It's basically a PVA glue so personal preference for this and with your choice of magnifier.

Tweezers are also an important item, the finer the tips the better and if then are self locking, better still. I also have added a pair of parallel plyers to my toolbox

These alow me to hold the parts flat while working on them once separated from the sheet of parts.

In the next picture is the sheet that I am taking a part from, left hand side, second row from the top and second part from left to right. Labled 4.

Next this is obviously to cut it out. Personal preference again though I usually use a Number 11 scalpel blade

or a chisel

This one is unknown in origin but may be a Trumpeter tool.

I always try to cut with the blade as close to the part as possible. The result should be roughly the same, whichever tool you use, as long as it's sharp!

The result should look something like this

As you can see, there are little stubs on the part that need removeing

So I carefully lifted the part up and put it into the parallel plyers

This is from the rear of the part, but you can clearly see the stub. I use a flat file to remove the stub, not one of the modern grinding sticks with tiny diamonds on them. A good old fashion metal file with groves in it!

And the above is what the filed item looks like when the stub has been removed. Now for the other end.

Not the best picture but you can just make out the two stubs, I soon changed that though.

All trimmed and ready for fitting

Target area selected! Front right side console. The other five parts already fitted have all been treated in a similar way, and just like the modern Airfix kit that the cockpit area is for, makeing sure the parts are cleaned up is essential to ensuring that all parts fit together.

Next the Glue

And then the part

Done!

The fact I am using a PVA based glue helps by giving time to ensure that the part is positioned, just right and has the advantages of drying clear and being easy to remove if necessary. In this instance I had to remove a little excess glue that was on the right side where the cockpit wall would be.

So that's the basics of how I add photo etch to models. I hope it helps one or two who read this.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Very instructive Alastair, even to one who's done it many times before.

The parallel pliers are a great idea, and I'll look some out for myself now.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Do you have any problems with the pliers removing paint from the parts?
I was thinking maybe some tape on the jaws would prevent this - though my theory isn't backed up by empirical experience.

NARSES2

Very interesting Alastair  :thumbsup:  Indeed might make a good Newsletter piece.

I still use some etch, but eyesight issues mean it tends to be the larger items only.  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 05, 2024, 06:04:20 PMDo you have any problems with the pliers removing paint from the parts?
I was thinking maybe some tape on the jaws would prevent this - though my theory isn't backed up by empirical experience.

Not experienced any problems.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2024, 02:48:59 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 05, 2024, 06:04:20 PMDo you have any problems with the pliers removing paint from the parts?

Not experienced any problems.

Gondor

Cool.

And I should have said, thanks for the article; good advice is always appreciated.

kerick

Yes, thanks for the help!
I bought a pack of small pliers yesterday at Menards. They are having their 15% off sale. Small side cutters  and a pair of square nose.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Last of the main items for the Buccaneer cockpit is the throtle quadrant. This is going to be somewhat awkward

There are several folds that need to be incorporated before fitting in place.

Looking from the bottom of the picture, the part is rectangular. Follow the rectangle further up and there is a section to it's left. That section will need to be folded so it's outer, left edge, is raised. It does not need to be angled a huge amount but it does need to be angled to match the underlying plastic side console.
Forward of this section there is a small rectangle which I beleive needs to be left alone. The top most section is what is going to be difficult.

The above image shows what I mean. It's going to be interesting getting that curve right.

Gondor

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2024, 10:50:52 AMThe above image shows what I mean. It's going to be interesting getting that curve right.

Gondor

From a well-known and sadly-missed show:

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn:
This is gonna get pretty interesting.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds:
Define "interesting".

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn:
We're all gonna die.

I'm sure you'll make out, Alistair - better than I would, with my lack of skills wrangling PE. :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2024, 10:50:52 AMLast of the main items for the Buccaneer cockpit is the throtle quadrant. This is going to be somewhat awkward

There are several folds that need to be incorporated before fitting in place.

Looking from the bottom of the picture, the part is rectangular. Follow the rectangle further up and there is a section to it's left. That section will need to be folded so it's outer, left edge, is raised. It does not need to be angled a huge amount but it does need to be angled to match the underlying plastic side console.
Forward of this section there is a small rectangle which I beleive needs to be left alone. The top most section is what is going to be difficult.

The above image shows what I mean. It's going to be interesting getting that curve right.

Gondor

Remove the sloped and curved plastic parts then make the bends as best you can. That way there is nothing to conflict with the bent and formed photo etch.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

The initial bends were made using flat nosed smooth pliers.

I thought of bending the curvve around some brass tube I had laying around, as you do  :rolleyes:

This size was too large so a smaller diameter was used. Metal has a tendency to spring back slightly when cold formed so bending a bit further than needed is what I had to do. The type and thickness of the metal will decide how much you need to bend the part. It's a case of try, try and try again. If performing the same type of operation multiple times it does get easier and you can become very consistent with your results.

The initial trial fit

Not too bad, can do better as my school report often said  :rolleyes:

That looks close enough

Rather than use the PVA based glue, this time because of the curve I will use Super Glue.

That looks good enough.

The Glue was applied to the flat areas which do not have slots through them so that the leavers can be put through the slots. The end of the Throttle Quadrant had glue applied which was spread along the outer edge with a tooth pick and then the part was held in place with the tips os a pair of tweezers while the glue dried.

Gondor

Gondor

I am using eduard set SS742 for this demonstration.

There are several parts that go onto the sidewalls of the cockpit, these are straightforward other than the two rearmost parts for the Right hand side B2.

Both of these parts are listed as part 20 as is one part for the left side :unsure:

The left side part is correct with the larger and lower of the two parts for the right side being part 32. It smaller companion is part 19.

Gondor

sandiego89

I would type a longer reply on my thoughts on photoetch, but my fingers are superglued together...... ;D 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Rick Lowe

Gondor

So I added the final parts to the cockpit tub

These were handled slightly differently then the larger items as I could not hold them and then file any stubs off them, they were just a little on the small side. I also used Superglue for the Throttles and the Joystick for the Navigator/Observer.

This picture shows the interior from the front, and yes all the levers are there, some of them are just a little difficult to see from this angle, so here is another picture to show them off better.

Certainly the Throttle quadrant doesn't fit flush, who is goiing to be able to see though?

Back at the start of this thread I added a part to the Pilot's right hand side console. The photograph of the fitted part showed that the panel behind it was not 199% square, so that has been removed and refitted.

Next stage will be ejector seat enhancement and once the cockpit is all buttoned up, the coming in front of the pilot.

Gondor