Tamiya dark sea grey, but is it?

Started by chrisonord, January 05, 2024, 09:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am currently painting one of my fleet air arm F-8 Crusaders, and I am using Tamiya (xf-54) dark sea grey. I know the colour of the kit, which is a light shade of grey could be the reason,but the shade does seem a bit to light to me. I have a jar of Mr Hobby dark sea grey, and it looks to be a much darker shade, possibly too much so. Correct shades of any colour paint have never really fussed me before, as building wiffs, that will do has always been the way, but I was wanting to at least be accurate with the colour on my Falklands task force crusaders.
All opinions info gladly accepted.
Cheers.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

The IPMS site says

T:XF-24
(54)

or

HU:164

X:X4

GS:H331

I beleive the letter befor the Colon denotes the Manufacturer with what is after it being the number/leter system used.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on January 05, 2024, 09:32:35 AMThe IPMS site says

T:XF-24
(54)

or

HU:164

X:X4

GS:H331

I beleive the letter befor the Colon denotes the Manufacturer with what is after it being the number/leter system used.

Gondor
The shade seems to light, to me at least hence the question. I know sea harriers were Barley grey at that time period, so would I be better looking for a barley grey to paint my crusaders?

Gondor

Modeldecall Set 66 says:

April - September 1982 800, 801 and 899 NAS Extra Dark Sea Grey

Modeldecall Set 67 says:

April - September 1982 809 and 899 NAS Medium Sea Grey

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

chrisonord

I have extra dark sea grey, as I painted my sea jaguar in it, and  they are round about the same time frame, except the F-8's were in service longer. I could, I suppose have them.as being updated paint scheme wise I suppose.

PR19_Kit

809's SHARs were painted Barely Grey before heading south to meet the Atlantic Conveyor. But when they got to the Falklands Sharkey Ward was horrified that they were so light, and had 'his' batch of them re-painted in the darker grey.

Eventually all of them were done, but maybe not till the fighting had finished.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 05, 2024, 12:32:13 PM809's SHARs were painted Barely Grey before heading south to meet the Atlantic Conveyor. But when they got to the Falklands Sharkey Ward was horrified that they were so light, and had 'his' batch of them re-painted in the darker grey.

Eventually all of them were done, but maybe not till the fighting had finished.

Thankyou for that info Kit, much appreciated. I have just gone over it with a coat of neutral grey which according to Valejo is the same as Barley grey. But I still think it is too light, so, I am going to go over it with EDSG, then at least it will match the sea jaguar. He says.

chrisonord

The neutral/Barley grey is too light for my liking, so I have painted the sprue with different makes of dark sea grey, and I think the Mr Hobby stuff could be a winner. All depends on whether it comes out of the airbrush the same shade really.

Gondor

It's whiff world so you can make the backstory fit what ever colour you finish it in, even if it was PRU Pink?  :wacko:

Gondor

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2024, 02:59:37 AMIt's whiff world so you can make the backstory fit what ever colour you finish it in, even if it was PRU Pink?  :wacko:

Gondor
Sounds like a plan  ;D

jcf

The Tamiya 1/48th SHAR kit calls for a mix:
3 parts XF-24 Dark Grey
1 part X-3 Royal Blue

Per a discussion on Britmodeller Nick Millman states that by BS381c, BS 640 EDSG is classed as purple-blue in Munsell colour measurement. It appears as grey with a blue tint to the human eye because it's desaturated. According to tests done in 1951 the blue was pronounced when the paint was fresh but was soon muted by exposure to sunlight and weathering.
Interestingly that suggests that Tamiya's mix could
be pretty close.

Interestingly at some point between then and now EDSG was dropped from BS381c, Dark Sea Grey remained but its Munsell numbers changed somewhat moving it closer to the dropped EDSG.
:o

FWIW some screenshots from the iModelkit app.
XF-54 is noticeably lighter than BS 640, but it's
also lighter than XF-24. 
You cannot view this attachment.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

XF-54 is VERY light, I used it on a modified Tornado ADV a while ago and it rather looks like Medium Sea Grey than Dark Sea Grey. However, IIRC there is another DSG with a much higher number (and it comes in a smaller glass pot) that looks more appropriate. Or is that Ocean Grey?  :o

zenrat

Jeez Jon, you'll be talking about scale effect next...
:unsure:

Just use what looks right to you.
If you want reference material take a photo and adjust the levels until it matches your paint.
Simples.
 ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2024, 12:50:14 AMJeez Jon, you'll be talking about scale effect next...
:unsure:

Perish the thought................  :banghead:

Regards
Kit