RAF S.105 (aka F-105K)

Started by HarryPhishnuts, January 08, 2024, 01:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPINNERS

My backstory for several what-ifs goes something like this. "Oh no! Our Valiant's are broken and we have nothing to use to maintain our commitment to SACEUR".

I think I used this backstory for the F-105K, the Grumman Intruder, an earlier adoption of the Blackburn Buccaneer and re-starting Canberra production! All in anti-flash white of course.

Devilfish

I've done a pair of 1/48 RAF Thuds, one in early scheme, one in later....

HarryPhishnuts

Quote from: SPINNERS on January 09, 2024, 10:53:05 AMMy backstory for several what-ifs goes something like this. "Oh no! Our Valiant's are broken and we have nothing to use to maintain our commitment to SACEUR".

I think I used this backstory for the F-105K, the Grumman Intruder, an earlier adoption of the Blackburn Buccaneer and re-starting Canberra production! All in anti-flash white of course.

There's a couple of turning points in aviation history that I look at for planning my current slate of what-if just because the downstream effects are so intersting. One is around the TSR.2 both if cancelled and what if it wasn't (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=52356.msg1023655#msg1023655). The other is the result of the LWF competition. So many variations so many kits, so little time.   ;D

HarryPhishnuts

Quote from: Devilfish on January 09, 2024, 01:06:27 PMI've done a pair of 1/48 RAF Thuds, one in early scheme, one in later....

Those are great builds.  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: HarryPhishnuts on January 09, 2024, 01:31:17 PM
Quote from: SPINNERS on January 09, 2024, 10:53:05 AMMy backstory for several what-ifs goes something like this. "Oh no! Our Valiant's are broken and we have nothing to use to maintain our commitment to SACEUR".

There's a couple of turning points in aviation history that I look at for planning my current slate of what-if just because the downstream effects are so intersting. One is around the TSR.2 both if cancelled and what if it wasn't (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=52356.msg1023655#msg1023655). The other is the result of the LWF competition. So many variations so many kits, so little time.   ;D

The January Issue of Aeroplane magazine has a series of features called collectively "1964: Year Zero" studying RAF planning and government decision making at that ime and the consequences of it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

HarryPhishnuts

Finally got the recee pod canoe figured out and in place. That turned into one of those R&D rabbit holes on how to get the shape and installation right but I learned a lot so that's always worth it. Between that and the cockpit I'm definiteluy feeling more confident with building these types of mods. Ended up building it out of .5mm plasticard sheet and then cutting a hole in the bomb bay.  Needs a bit of filling and sanding around the edges and I'll have to try and rescribe some of the rivet detail. Also going to add some additional surface elements with plasticard and scribing. As long as I don't go down any more modding rabbit holes should have everything built and primed by the end of the week. For stores its going to have 2 drop tanks on the inner pylons and then an ALQ119 ( I don't have a DASH-10/101 in the parts box) and an AIM-9D on the outers. I think for mid-to-late 70's that should be close to correct. I also got a Xtra decal set for a Buccaneer once I get to that stage. Still hoping to have it done by the end of the month.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

HarryPhishnuts

So I got the primer on this weekend and marked up for camo. I'm doing an Arctic camo. Dr MIG has an excelent build on YouTybe of a Jaguar in Arctic camo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxOhadPNCo You cannot view this attachment.so going to use that as a guide. However I'm trying to figure out the right shade of grey to use. The Buccaneer decals I'm going to use say it's BS381C:638 Dark Sea Grey and I have Vallejo Air 71.053 which is their Dark Sea Grey. It looks about right for 60's to early 70's aircraft but looking a photos (and DevilFish's excelent examples) it looks like sometime in the mid 70's it changed to a lighter grey? I haven't been able to find any kind of BSC color callout other than 638. If I can't find anything I'll just take a swag at it this weekend. Gotta say really impressed with how well this little kit has come together so far.

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Always loved this machine. Beast !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

HarryPhishnuts

So camo done, first time doing hard edge with blue tac. Overall pretty happy with it, just needed a few touch-ups. Now I just need to gloss coat and hopefully have some time for decals and weathering tomorrow.

kerick

That's looking cool! I'll be sure to keep track of this one.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Devilfish

Quote from: HarryPhishnuts on January 18, 2024, 12:09:44 PMSo I got the primer on this weekend and marked up for camo. I'm doing an Arctic camo. Dr MIG has an excelent build on YouTybe of a Jaguar in Arctic camo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxOhadPNCo You cannot view this attachment.so going to use that as a guide. However I'm trying to figure out the right shade of grey to use. The Buccaneer decals I'm going to use say it's BS381C:638 Dark Sea Grey and I have Vallejo Air 71.053 which is their Dark Sea Grey. It looks about right for 60's to early 70's aircraft but looking a photos (and DevilFish's excelent examples) it looks like sometime in the mid 70's it changed to a lighter grey? I haven't been able to find any kind of BSC color callout other than 638. If I can't find anything I'll just take a swag at it this weekend. Gotta say really impressed with how well this little kit has come together so far.

The earlier version of mine was painted using (iirc) Vallejo colours, whereas the latter one was Tamiya DCG and Mr Hobby DG

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

HarryPhishnuts

Calling this one done. Overall pretty happy with the way it turned out. For the level of detail of the old model I think it built out pretty well. I used an Xtradecals set for the RAF S.2 Buccanneer and they went on no problem. Pulled the ECM pod and AIM9 from the stash. As I mentioned before the recce pod was made out of .5mm card and the windows for the recce pod were just transparency sheet that I sprayed with Vallejo Black Mettalic and then glued shiny side out. I think it at least looks close to what I've seen on pictues of planes like RF-4C and RF-8s. The chipping is supposed to depict the whitewash wearing off and revealing the dark green underneath, though to be honest chipping is still a skill I've got to work on. The other weathering was just panel wash with Vallejo Gray wash and then used watercolor pencils for the oil and grime streaking on the undersurfaces.  As usual took a bit longer than expected but really enjoyed this little kit.