Family build - 2 x SAAB 29 Tunnan (Heller 1:72)

Started by Pellson, January 21, 2024, 11:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 03, 2024, 06:21:32 PMNow that *is* a large amount of ordnance for something that small. An almost Skyraider-esque amount of Bang; quite enough to ruin anyone's day.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, close up photos can be disconcerting, revealing stuff we can't see by eye.

Those rockets are perhaps somewhat overscale, but we like them nevertheless. And they actually did put some hefty rockets on Tunnans back in the day, leading to interestingly long takeoffs..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Pellson on February 04, 2024, 12:30:06 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 03, 2024, 06:21:32 PMNow that *is* a large amount of ordnance for something that small. An almost Skyraider-esque amount of Bang; quite enough to ruin anyone's day.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, close up photos can be disconcerting, revealing stuff we can't see by eye.

Those rockets are perhaps somewhat overscale, but we like them nevertheless. And they actually did put some hefty rockets on Tunnans back in the day, leading to interestingly long takeoffs..

The only criteria that really counts!
;D  :thumbsup:

Vulcan7

Great looking aircraft ( new to me ) & builds  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on February 04, 2024, 12:30:06 AMAnd they actually did put some hefty rockets on Tunnans back in the day, leading to interestingly long takeoffs..

Similar rockets can be seen in this display of A32A Lansen armament from 1957

You cannot view this attachment.

It's the fat guys just in front of the guns on the ground. Massive things!

PR19_Kit

That's a LOT of rockets!  :o

Nice to see the good 'ole Rb04s under the wings.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Always liked those photos where they show off alternative/possible weapons loads  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Looking good, I do have a soft spot for the little Tunnan. I usually wait timsee the finished article before commenting,  but these little fellas are that bit more special. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Pellson

Having had the opportunity to think about things, I decided to add the same "home finder" antennae to my refurbished A29 as I have on the S29. After all, had it been kept as a day strike/CAS aircraft - as per my backstory draft, it would most likely had gotten that kit as all the other front line types got it in the mid 1950's.

Pellson

Some paint on the recce bird too. I really need to sort that cumbersome paint job on young mr P's CAS bird too, to allow him to carry on. Maybe tomorrow.

Pellson

Finally got around to paint a bit on the undersides of the CAS Tunnan. Still left is to paint some of the fuselage under the wings, where the rockets interfere, before handing it over to young mr P for completion. Theoretically, he could have done this too, but he does get annoyed when he has to paint and repaint when accidentally touching a nearby surface, and as I really prefer having him enjoy the process much enough to get properly hooked before letting him see the tedious parts of the hobby. Sneaky, I know..  ;)

Well - I brought the model with us to the cottage, so we might make another move on it today. Might.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 09, 2024, 01:25:52 AMand as I really prefer having him enjoy the process much enough to get properly hooked before letting him see the tedious parts of the hobby. Sneaky, I know..  ;)

Well - I brought the model with us to the cottage, so we might make another move on it today. Might.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

My own little flying barrel got some grey in line with the other ongoing SAAB projects. The demarcation line on the fuselage is, however, not that easy to place symmetrically, so I'll have to make a round of touchups, or two.

You cannot view this attachment.

There are other ways than dispersal to go if you want to keep your air force safe in bad times. This was taken in the bedrock hangars of F9 wing in Gothenburg back in the 60's. Today, the location is an aircraft museum.

Rick Lowe

kitbasher

Quote from: Pellson on March 13, 2024, 01:49:33 PMThere are other ways than dispersal to go if you want to keep your air force safe in bad times. This was taken in the bedrock hangars of F9 wing in Gothenburg back in the 60's. Today, the location is an aircraft museum.

And a very good museum it is.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter