The Lansen restoration project (3 x Heller 1/72)

Started by Pellson, January 30, 2024, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Revell enamels are sh!t (the matt acrylics are O.K., though), and within that range there's no proper replacement for FS 36414 (Flint Grey), even though Revell 76 should come close or even be identical.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 14, 2024, 04:38:04 AMRevell enamels are sh!t (the matt acrylics are O.K., though), and within that range there's no proper replacement for FS 36414 (Flint Grey), even though Revell 76 should come close or even be identical.

Googling just taught me that Humbrol has come out with a replacement for their 175, namely the 247. Maybe, maybe I can find that..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

247 is German WWII RLM 76, very suitable for Swedish aircraft - my favorite for Fields & Meadows, for instance.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 14, 2024, 04:53:43 AMGoogling just taught me that Humbrol has come out with a replacement for their 175, namely the 247. Maybe, maybe I can find that..

Given it's an acrylic I can always get one and put it in the post ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 14, 2024, 09:24:13 AM
Quote from: Pellson on March 14, 2024, 04:53:43 AMGoogling just taught me that Humbrol has come out with a replacement for their 175, namely the 247. Maybe, maybe I can find that..

Given it's an acrylic I can always get one and put it in the post ?

Thanks, but
a) it's no stress. I still have 3/4 of a tin of the old one to work with, and
b) I haven't gotten to acrylics yet. Maybe I should buy a few revell cans and try, and
c) regardless of content, the Swedish mail system seems hellbent on claiming you're sending bomb material when trying to pass something liquid..  :banghead:

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 14, 2024, 02:30:20 AMHumbrol 175 must be REALLY ancient! But these old paints do not "die", unlike the modern stuff.

I've got a bunch that I bought in the 1960s, still working.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 14, 2024, 09:30:23 AMb) I haven't gotten to acrylics yet. Maybe I should buy a few revell cans and try, and

My experiences with Revell acrylics has not been that good. It might well be the stupid pot/container they use putting me off before I even get to the paint, but I'll stick with Hataka or Xtracrylic.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 15, 2024, 07:36:14 AM
Quote from: Pellson on March 14, 2024, 09:30:23 AMb) I haven't gotten to acrylics yet. Maybe I should buy a few revell cans and try, and

My experiences with Revell acrylics has not been that good. It might well be the stupid pot/container they use putting me off before I even get to the paint, but I'll stick with Hataka or Xtracrylic.

I've never made the move from the enamels as I've always had good supply. Or rather - up until Humbrol got ruled out because of some poisonous content, triggering my LHS to shift to Revell.

Also, I'm not so clear on how durable the acrylics are once dried. I have enamel painted models that are more than 40 years old, and that has withstood loads of handling during the years. I wonder how acrylics would have lasted.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 15, 2024, 09:15:50 AMAlso, I'm not so clear on how durable the acrylics are once dried. I have enamel painted models that are more than 40 years old, and that has withstood loads of handling during the years. I wonder how acrylics would have lasted.

You may well be right there, especially with the early attempts at producing acrylics. Mind you if they do turn out to be less than durable it will probably allow some future archeology student to write his/her/its Phd thesis on the subject of "The Real Colours the Ancients Used" once my burial pit and grave goods are discovered  ;)

Scotaidh

I have tried acrylics, in my speckled past, and I never really liked them.  Adhesion problems, mostly - with enamels you can pretty much paint over anything and get a decent result, but acrylics need not only a clean surface, but one friendly to them, or they just ... don't stick. 

I used to just buy whatever brand was available locally - then I tried a Humbrol and managed to get it thinned properly - and man!  I couldn't believe how good it looked.  From that day Humbrol has been my go-to.  My LHS has stopped carrying the brand, and is really pushing the Tamiya stuff with which they replaced it.  Nuts to that.

I'm a Scot, and thus stubborn, so I buy my Humbrols on-line from Airfix, thank-you very much.
"My mind is made up - don't confuse me with facts."  :p
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

I am also still "stuck" to enamels, but any decent brands have stopped sales here in Germany, and there's only the Revell garbage left over - no solution. I have tried Revell's acrylics, and the matt paints (in the square pots, which do not easily tip over!) are decent, the glossy stuff meh and the semi-glossy acrylics are rubbish, at least with a brush. Tried Humbrol acrylics recently (from a pot, not dropper flask), and these did not convince me either. However, at some point I will have to explore the market options deeper, but so far nothing entices me. :-/

NARSES2

I like Hataka, and no I'm not getting commission. I find their sets a convenient way of buying them, although they do sell individual pots as well, and I like the fact they have 3 ranges - airbrush ready and brush ready acrylic and a laquer range. I use the brush ready.

I know there are a couple of others on site who've moved over to them as well so it isn't just me  ;)

PR19_Kit

It sure isn't just you Chris, I like most Hataka stuff too, but I've never found them available as single bottles, yet anyway.

Their light shades could be a bit denser I find, their yellows are so wishy-washy that it takes 4-5 coats before they're dense enough.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2024, 06:00:11 AMIt sure isn't just you Chris, I like most Hataka stuff too, but I've never found them available as single bottles, yet anyway.

Their light shades could be a bit denser I find, their yellows are so wishy-washy that it takes 4-5 coats before they're dense enough.

The single bottles may only be available direct from them Kit, they are certainly on their website.

I've not used their yellow yet (I recently got their basics set), but all yellows are a pain in the proverbial, in my experience anyway  :angel:

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2024, 07:18:48 AMI've not used their yellow yet (I recently got their basics set), but all yellows are a pain in the proverbial, in my experience anyway  :angel:

I was told by a railroad modeler that the best undercoat for yellow is pink, and he showed me stuff he had done. Looked great, but he was using an airbrush, how hairy stick would work may be different.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr