The Lansen restoration project (3 x Heller 1/72)

Started by Pellson, January 30, 2024, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: The Rat on February 08, 2024, 08:22:57 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 08, 2024, 03:51:51 PMIs it me, or does it look like a Swift from some angles?

Agree, certainly looks a bit 'chubby'. But, unlike the reason for a corpulent Swift, it was designed from the outset around an axial flow engine. First was the indigenous STAL Dovern, before switching to the license built RR Avon. So I have no idea why the design peeps went with a rotund fuselage, unless there was fuel storage around the engine.

As it happens, the STAL engine was substantially fatter, so that's the whole reason. The Avon came in rather late at which time so much of the design was locked in that changing it would have delayed the project unacceptably, hence the fuselage shape.
It's hard to see in a sketch like that, but the engine is actually hung on support liners compensating for its slimness within the fuselage.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Rat

:thumbsup:  #9, Fuselage fuel tanks. Explains the appearance.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: Pellson on February 09, 2024, 12:01:39 AM
Quote from: The Rat on February 08, 2024, 08:22:57 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 08, 2024, 03:51:51 PMIs it me, or does it look like a Swift from some angles?

Agree, certainly looks a bit 'chubby'. But, unlike the reason for a corpulent Swift, it was designed from the outset around an axial flow engine. First was the indigenous STAL Dovern, before switching to the license built RR Avon. So I have no idea why the design peeps went with a rotund fuselage, unless there was fuel storage around the engine.

As it happens, the STAL engine was substantially fatter, so that's the whole reason. The Avon came in rather late at which time so much of the design was locked in that changing it would have delayed the project unacceptably, hence the fuselage shape.
It's hard to see in a sketch like that, but the engine is actually hung on support liners compensating for its slimness within the fuselage.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Old Wombat

I think all three aircraft in the last two photo's have painted rear under surfaces.

My guess would be that they used/developed a paint formulated to not react with the fuel.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

TBH, it looks like a Messerschmitt P.1110 that's ate a few too many pies.

Mmmm, Pie!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 09, 2024, 07:14:24 AMI think all three aircraft in the last two photo's have painted rear under surfaces.

My guess would be that they used/developed a paint formulated to not react with the fuel.

I'm rather sure they did not, actually, but less certain that the earlier 32's ever had paint underneath. At least, the example in the museum is so "wellflown" that there's few if any traces on colour left.

You cannot view this attachment.

Then again, look at this antenna:

It does look like some paint residue where the airflow hasn't eroded it, away from the edges, don't you think?

Then again - this is on the side of the nose:

You tell me if there's any grey under the green..

Well, it seems I'll just have to make up my mind, and in all honesty - there is a bit more life in a grey underbody with a metal rear as per this pic

I think this is where I'll go.

Rick Lowe

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 09, 2024, 07:14:24 AMMy guess would be that they used/developed a paint formulated to not react with the fuel.

AFAIK from literature, they did not - the areas were left bare metal after a while.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 10, 2024, 01:01:01 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on February 09, 2024, 07:14:24 AMMy guess would be that they used/developed a paint formulated to not react with the fuel.

AFAIK from literature, they did not - the areas were left bare metal after a while.

Would save cleaning the gunk off the area, repainting, then doing it all over again in 6 months!

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 10, 2024, 01:01:01 AM

I agree - but look at this nose gear door. Look at the scratches vs the nonscratched surface adjacent.

It's not immediately clear.

Pellson

Happy birthday then, my lad!
The so vaunted "LEGO" Gripen is well under way.

And when done, there's a new, Swedish addition to your little StashTM.

But you also got a proper computer joystick, and now we'll soon see if you're as amused by jet fighter flying as you think. DCS is the intended platform, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be flying the amazingly realistic AJS37 simulator.

Well - I might try myself..

The Rat

Rick Lowe

Pellson

Some more paint on the topside and now I'd say the camouflage is done on all three Lansens. Next up will be the underside, most of it grey but the leak affected rear bottom in aluminium. And then details.
Furthermore, the EW (eew?) one got a few antennae replaced as I wasn't really happy with the old ones. Better to make amends before having to repaint after the in the longer term inevitable switch.

Pellson

Having been able to gather just a little bit of modelling momentum, I got started with the loadout preparations for the three Lansens. These will be whif loadouts, and I'm looking at it now as it's a lot easier to paint the undersides with all pylons attached. And pylon types as well as pylon locations will depend on what load I intend to hang.

While not quite ready for painting yet, I've certainly gotten closer.