The Lansen restoration project (3 x Heller 1/72)

Started by Pellson, January 30, 2024, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on February 20, 2024, 02:13:06 PMWhile not quite ready for painting yet, I've certainly gotten closer.

You've made far more progress than me recently then  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

A few more pylons, and now they're all on. I will need some missile rails to go with them before painting, but it's getting there, if ever so slowly.

As there's no such thing as an overfuelled aircraft, I'm also starting to look into drop tanks, at least for the recon bird. One could perhaps argue that the Baltic isn't big enough to motivate that, but I've actually followed a recording of a recon mission against a Soviet navy task force in the southernmost Baltic, and there isn't too much margin, actually, the Lansens having to divert for refuelling at an airbase nearer before going back home to F11 Wing in Nyköping/Skavsta. Also, there are several mentions of recon missions over the Baltic having necessitated two rounds, with refuelling at home in between, this valid both for the S32C's and the longer ranged SH37's.
While I certainly have a fair amount of spare drop jugs in the Spares assortment, finding something "Swedish" enough, yet not a Draken or Viggen tank isn't quite easy. I might have to cut something up.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on February 21, 2024, 01:58:20 PMOne could perhaps argue that the Baltic isn't big enough to motivate that, but I've actually followed a recording of a recon mission against a Soviet navy task force in the southernmost Baltic, and there isn't too much margin, actually, the Lansens having to divert for refuelling at an airbase nearer before going back home to F11 Wing in Nyköping/Skavsta. Also, there are several mentions of recon missions over the Baltic having necessitated two rounds, with refuelling at home in between, this valid both for the S32C's and the longer ranged SH37's.

On topic.

>>VIDEO LINK<<

If you're not into loud music, don't bother with sound. The film is interesting though, featuring in-cockpit filming from a combined SH37 (radar and LOROP recon) and SF37 (classic photo recon) mission over the southwest corner of the Baltic, necessitating a refuelling on Visby/Gotland. The pair origin from 211 Reconnaissance Sqn "Akktu Stakki" (Lone Wolf in Samish language), based at Lulea/Kallax in the north.

No actual work on the Lansens for a few days, but today is an office day, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to cut up a few rails..

Pellson

A rather tedious couple of weeks but despite that, or maybe rather because of that, I've managed to finalise the rails and even paint the unpainted rear bellies of the three Lansens. Next up will be the rest of the bellies, in grey, before doing the radomes and fin tips (black) and then the leading edges (aluminium again). This last step is a bit scary - I'm not always that good at paint long, straight lines - but I'll deal with that when I get to it. Which won't be today. I didn't bring the Lansens to the cottage for the weekend.

You cannot view this attachment.

Photo of a A32A just having had a ground engine test performed. Added here just for fun.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on March 09, 2024, 02:27:03 AMPhoto of a A32A just having had a ground engine test performed. Added here just for fun.

And we're the better for it too. Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Only in Sweden would you do an engine test run in the middle of a forest.  ;D

Or maybe near RAF Wittering sometimes as well............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I highly recommend generic decal stripes for tedious leading edge tasks. I also used silver material on my last Lansen, the all-grey ECM machine. Also a bit fiddly, but IMHO in the end easier and more convenient than masking and/or painting, esp. when the edge is not "clean".

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 09, 2024, 04:58:55 AMI highly recommend generic decal stripes for tedious leading edge tasks. I also used silver material on my last Lansen, the all-grey ECM machine. Also a bit fiddly, but IMHO in the end easier and more convenient than masking and/or painting, esp. when the edge is not "clean".

That is most probably a very good advice. However - decal stripes hasn't ever been my friends, so I suspect I'll at least try to paint first. But it's all for another day. Now, I'm off to bed.

Rick Lowe

I have had reasonable results by running my hand holding the brush along the leading edge, to provide a bit of stability; also using the edge of the brush, not the point.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 09, 2024, 01:46:17 PMThat is most probably a very good advice. However - decal stripes hasn't ever been my friends,

Nor mine, they just disintegrate as soon as see the water.  :angry:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

The undersides are now grey, and that went surprisingly well. As you're aware, light colours might cover badly, but this rather ancient tin of Humbrol 175 worked really well.

As always, there's some minor touchups left, but I will most likely try to paint the leading edges as there definitely will be more touchup need arising from that.

And carrying on with the photo habit, here's an old action shot from a road base taken just as a Lansen is preparing for another mission. Always ready, as we said in the Boy Scouts.

NARSES2

That old pot of Humbrol has done well  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on March 13, 2024, 09:22:54 AMYou cannot view this attachment.

"Well you got it in here, so you must be able to get it out again"  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Humbrol 175 must be REALLY ancient! But these old paints do not "die", unlike the modern stuff.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 14, 2024, 02:30:20 AMHumbrol 175 must be REALLY ancient! But these old paints do not "die", unlike the modern stuff.

Very true Dizzy, I'm still using some of my old Humbrol Authentics.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 14, 2024, 02:36:26 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 14, 2024, 02:30:20 AMHumbrol 175 must be REALLY ancient! But these old paints do not "die", unlike the modern stuff.

Very true Dizzy, I'm still using some of my old Humbrol Authentics.

Me too! And they are so nice to work with...  :-\

Pellson

It is, but I haven't been able to find a reasonable replacement. As you're aware, it's hard to have enamel tins sent via mail, so I'm somewhat limited to the LHS and their current Revell stand. Any suggestions there?