Israeli M247 DIVAD

Started by Jakko, February 01, 2024, 12:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: Scooterman on April 03, 2024, 09:31:18 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on March 08, 2024, 08:52:23 PMDude I do enjoy your attention to details ...reminds me of me before I got lazy  ;D

no lie  ;D
;D  ;D  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Jakko

Junk.

You cannot view this attachment.

That's a good word to describe Stynylrez primer, IMHO. The text on the bottle says to use it unthinned and spray thin layers until the underlying colour disappears, so I did. With the result you can see in the photo. This is the third time I've tried using it, and the first time on a whole model — well, two, actually, because I also sprayed the metal parts on a Sherman I was given at the same time. To get this fine result took me three quarters of an hour, and it still doesn't cover properly, but I gave up because my airbrush (Aztek with a light blue nozzle) did due to being clogged so badly I had a devil of a time getting it to even spray airbrush cleaner.

For comparison:

You cannot view this attachment.

This is the turret of the Sherman, after about ten seconds' worth of spraying Vallejo white primer from an aerosol can (plus ten more on the other side), which I did because I want a white line on the turret but didn't think I'd get there easily with the Stynylrez.

As a primer, if you ask me, Stynylrez lives up to the name on the bottle: crap.
... I know all this and more ...

Gondor

Never heard of that stuff, and by the look of what you have gone through I hope I never see it. Defiantly not going to buy any.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Uh, that looks awful! Is the surface as "wobbly" as it looks from afar?  :unsure:

buzzbomb

Seen the hype on this, now seen the results.
So, as I have also seen your other work, the issue is with the product.

Thanks for posting this. Failures are just as, if not sometimes more valuable to our community than spiffy models.

The Rat

I've used Stynylrez grey primer and love it. I've also used the white and it was total garbage.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Wow! That looks like oil mixed with water. Is the surface as rough as it looks?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jakko

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 18, 2024, 05:48:41 AMUh, that looks awful! Is the surface as "wobbly" as it looks from afar?  :unsure:
I'm not sure ... it's hard to tell by feeling with my finger, but I guess I'll find out when I spray something else over it. I hope it won't show, of course. Maybe I should use the Vallejo aerosol can on the side of the M247 turret just to make sure before I start spraying the model in its actual colour.

Quote from: buzzbomb on April 18, 2024, 05:28:55 PMthe issue is with the product.
That's also what I think, which is why I also took the picture with the Sherman turret with another type of primer.

Quote from: buzzbomb on April 18, 2024, 05:28:55 PMFailures are just as, if not sometimes more valuable to our community than spiffy models.
Definitely. People often fall into the trap of only posting the things that worked well, but IMHO you learn a lot more from mistakes (your own or somebody else's) than from seeing things that worked out perfectly.

Quote from: The Rat on April 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PMI've used Stynylrez grey primer and love it. I've also used the white and it was total garbage.
That is also what others have told me, as I posted these photos elsewhere too: grey and black work fine, white is crap. However, on the whole I don't like airbrush primer anyway. Yes, it's cheaper than from an aerosol can, but you spend about five to ten times as long putting it on and you have to clean the airbrush afterward. IMHO, the reduction in time and hassle of rattle cans weighs up against their greater expense :)

zenrat

Yikes.

Hope you can save it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Jakko on April 19, 2024, 02:20:12 AM
Quote from: buzzbomb on April 18, 2024, 05:28:55 PMFailures are just as, if not sometimes more valuable to our community than spiffy models.
Definitely. People often fall into the trap of only posting the things that worked well, but IMHO you learn a lot more from mistakes (your own or somebody else's) than from seeing things that worked out perfectly.

That's very true
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

That's a drag. The tank is looking great tho !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jakko

I just hope it will still look great once it's painted ;)

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2024, 05:43:11 AM
Quote from: Jakko on April 19, 2024, 02:20:12 AM

That's very true

The art of whiffing includes the acceptance of misalignments, gaps and other flaws - and to work creatively with them!  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: Jakko on April 19, 2024, 02:20:12 AMPeople often fall into the trap of only posting the things that worked well, but IMHO you learn a lot more from mistakes (your own or somebody else's) than from seeing things that worked out perfectly.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 20, 2024, 02:17:08 AMThe art of whiffing includes the acceptance of misalignments, gaps and other flaws - and to work creatively with them!  :thumbsup:

I often show what's gone wrong and how I fixed it. This provides two things for others, what to avoid doing and how to fix it when it goes wrong. My Project 75 build does that with the tips of the canards.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Maybe, in order to encourage honesty, sharing, learning, and teaching we could add a Wiffies category - Biggest F**kup and recovery?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..