Changes to Airfix Flying Hours

Started by Weaver, February 04, 2024, 11:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

This might be old news to some people, but because I've got three unused Airfix Flying Hours Passports, I've just noticed that the terms have changed several times in the last few years, so beware if you've got an old passport and always check the website for the latest T&Cs.

The webpage for Flying Hours is here: https://support.airfix.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017083939-Airfix-Club-Flying-Hours
(You have to be logged on and a Club member to see it).

Number of Tokens Needed.

This has gone up significantly at some point since 2015. However, Series 9 kits are now included.

Old Scheme:
12 tokens - Series 1 or 2 kit
24 tokens - Series 3 or 4 kit
36 tokens - Series 5 or 6 kit
48 tokens - Series 7 or 8 kit

Current Scheme:
16 tokens - Series 1 or 2 kit
30 tokens - Series 3 or 4 kit
40 tokens - Series 5 or 6 kit
60 tokens - Series 7, 8 or 9 kit

Postage Costs:

The cheque you have to include to cover postage.

Pre 2015: £2.95
On a current passport sent to me only a few weeks ago: £4.98
On the website today: £5.95

Lastly, and this is pure speculation on my part, I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the Flying Hours scheme in the next few years and replace it with some variation on their Hobby Points scheme, which is all digital and essentially does the same thing, i.e. reward you for buying Airfix kits. At the moment it only applies to purchases though their website, but you could easily imagine a system where Flying Hours tokens are replaced by a discount code on the box which gets you more Hobby Points but which you can only upload through the Club Members Area of the website.

It might, therefore, be a good idea to use any Flying Hours tokens you've got whilst you still can.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

The plot thickens...

I just rang them up to check what to use as a "membership number" because the passport asks for one but they havn't given me one. It turns out that your e-mail address is now your membership number. The self-print passports are slightly different and ask for e-mail address.

While I was on I pointed out the discrepancy in the postage charges, and she confirmed that it's £3.95, not £4.98 as per the passport or £5.95 as per the website! She double-checked this with the lady who does the Flying Hours and yep, definitely £3.95.

That's not the first error I've spotted on their website: somebody needs to have a word with their web managers.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

hmmm  thats not the best thing to be hearing, relatively simple mistakes that should be caught by proof reading.
i admit i have a pile  ( not too big admittedly) of flying hours and have considered joining the club to use them, but something has always come up, and now that the op Herrick 1:48 vehicles are no longer there im rather torn....
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Nick

I donated my small pile of Flying Hours to Models For Heroes a few years ago. They said they will eventually send in a bulk order to donate to veterans who use the hobby as a stress relief.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2024, 11:59:39 PM...Postage Costs:

The cheque you have to include to cover postage...

The what?   ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 07, 2024, 02:24:26 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2024, 11:59:39 PM...Postage Costs:

The cheque you have to include to cover postage...

The what?   ;)

You can pay it by card but that involves giving them a phone number and them ringing you up at a time that suites them. Seemed like too much bother, so I blew the dust off the cheque book for the first time in about three years...

- Indiana Jones