Fairey Delta 2 radar fit.

Started by chrisonord, February 10, 2024, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am wanting to do another FD2 fighter, and arm it with firestreak missiles, and be in service during the 1960's. Would the airframe/ nose be able to house a suitable and available radar, without changing the shape of it. Cheers.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

I'd have thought not, to be honest. Firestreak required a radar to point it's seeker at the target (it wasn't independent like Sidewinder), and probably the smallest compatible one was the AI.23 AIRPASS on the Lightning. There was talk of fitting AI.23 to a Gnat Mk.2, which would presumably have used a smaller diameter aerial, but that still involved a fatter nose with a conical radome on a reprofiled front fuselage.

The FD.2 would need something like a Mirage III front fuselage to hold a suitable radar, which, if it involved losing the droop nose feature in favour of the Mirage's better forward+downward view angle, would be no bad thing. If you wanted the keep the FD.2's body-of-rotation nose shape, then you'd probably be looking at a parallel or near-parallel section tube ahead of the cockpit, with a conical radome on the front of that.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

Hi planes did/do alternative noses for mirage III's as I have used several different ones on somemof my Honduras builds, I will have a look and see if he is still doing them. Cheers.

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on February 11, 2024, 01:16:25 AMAkin to this (by Dizzyfugu): https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49648.0?

That's a camera fit, not a radar. I do see where you are comming from though.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on February 11, 2024, 02:53:29 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on February 11, 2024, 01:16:25 AMAkin to this (by Dizzyfugu): https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49648.0?

That's a camera fit, not a radar. I do see where you are comming from though.

Gondor
I have a kit of the mirage III with the camera nose in the stash, nit 100% sure of manufacturer, but it could be an AML kit.

rickshaw

I created two versions of the Fairey Delta II in Israeli service. The single seater was equipped with a radar and Redtop missiles.  The original nose was too narrow so I replaced it with a Mirage III nose and cockpit.  I did the same for the two seater.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chrisonord

Quote from: rickshaw on February 12, 2024, 03:31:12 AMI created two versions of the Fairey Delta II in Israeli service. The single seater was equipped with a radar and Redtop missiles.  The original nose was too narrow so I replaced it with a Mirage III nose and cockpit.  I did the same for the two seater.

I remember seeing this now, the nose and cockpit changes the aircrafts appearance substantially. I have ordered 2 different noses from hiplanes, and I will see which one suits it the most, and also fits the best. I don't want to change too much of the original aircraft, as it is going to be a rushed into stop gap production, and in service until the lightning comes on line.

Weaver

This is what Fairey were looking at for the smallest proposed "production" Delta fighter, the ER.103.

Note that it was NOT just an FD.2 with radar and wingtip missiles though: the whole thing was substantially scaled up with a (never built) RB.122 engine that was bgger and more powerful than an Avon. Even then, I'not convinced by the small scanner it shows. I suspect that this was based on the EKCO ranging radar as seen on the Swift F Mk.7, because the the blunt radome looks like it's straight off the Swift, but it's totally unsuitable for a supersonic aircraft.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's the FD2 overlaid onto the Mirage III. As you can see, the Mirage's nose is substantially fatter, and the FD2's cockpit and intakes are much further back. The wing planform is near identical in shape and size. Note that the Mirage fuselage is actually slab-sided in the vicinity of the intakes and subtly swells outwards forward of them in order to get a circular radar bulkhead.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

CammNut did a similar conversion to Rickshaw's but he used a Draken nose and a Lightning canopy: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49119.0

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on February 12, 2024, 05:13:02 AMCammNut did a similar conversion to Rickshaw's but he used a Draken nose and a Lightning canopy: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49119.0

The Draken nose version of Cammnuts does look right, but was there a radar in there? It looks like a lot of the original nose will have to go, looking at that overlay, just to make the new nose line up properly. I shall be dusting off the vernier calipers for that job. :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on February 12, 2024, 05:34:28 AMThe Draken nose version of Cammnuts does look right, but was there a radar in there? It looks like a lot of th original nose will have to go, looking at that overlay, just ro make the new nose line up properly. I shall be dusting off the vernier calipers for that job. :thumbsup:

Oh yes: most Drakens had radar. They even offered AI.23 as an export option.

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I don't think I have a spare Draken nose to graft on, as the mirage ones are quite a bit wider now I have looked at it it on my laptop, and would need some serious work to get right. I will measure one of my built ones and see what I can come up with.

The Wooksta!

I swerved the whole issue at the back story stage (albeit with a finished model...) by having mine be both fighter (back end) and research (nose section), in a fighter scheme as a museum exhibit.

I'm now wondering if a Gnat front end could be grafted in for a supersonic trainer?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic