Mitsubishi F.1 RAF.

Started by smeds, February 14, 2024, 06:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Very good.   :thumbsup:

The F1 and T2 are under whiffed.  I have one of each in the stash (Hasegawa 1/72).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: kitbasher on February 14, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 14, 2024, 09:49:00 PMInterestingly, the Jaguar early prototypes had protruding splitter plates, as depicted on the Matchbox model.

As did the original Airfix 1/72 Jaguar (which also had a pointy nose).

Indeed - I'd forgetten about that!  :thumbsup: It has underwing Sidewinders and a centreline JL.100 pod too. The fact that both Airfix and Matchbox showed the JL.100 suggests that there was some artwork knocking around with it on in the early days.

The pointy nose was right for the first few production RAF Jaguars (under a dozen) and the lack of an RWR fairing was right for at least the very first production example. The splitter plates were definitely restricted to early prototypes though. Interestingly, the original Airfix box art shows a black square on the left hand side of the nose, which looks like a camera port. I wonder if early plans included a permanent side-facing F.95 camera in similar fashion to the Harrier? I can't find any reference to it though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 15, 2024, 02:25:43 AMVery good.   :thumbsup:

The F1 and T2 are under whiffed.  I have one of each in the stash (Hasegawa 1/72).

I've always thought you could do an alternative RAF single seater in the style of the F1, i.e. take the Jaguar T.2, give it a solid rear canopy with the nav/attack avionics in there, LRMTS in an extended nose or ventral pod (Tornado style), and wingtip Sidewinders. The Italeri T.2 has alternative cannon muzzle and blank fairing parts, so you could reinstate the second cannon too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

HarryPhishnuts

Vulcan7

Great looking build  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

The Rat

Quote from: kitbasher on February 14, 2024, 11:56:12 PMAs did the original Airfix 1/72 Jaguar (which also had a pointy nose).

Built one of those. If I recall correctly, the Airfix kit was issued about 7.3 seconds before the laser rangefinder was added to the real aircraft. It's all about timing.  ;D 
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on February 15, 2024, 02:57:17 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on February 14, 2024, 11:56:12 PMAs did the original Airfix 1/72 Jaguar (which also had a pointy nose).

Built one of those. If I recall correctly, the Airfix kit was issued about 7.3 seconds before the laser rangefinder was added to the real aircraft. It's all about timing.  ;D 

Apparently they kept the laser nose on the classified list for a while, and only did publicity shots with the tin nose ones for a while, even after laser-nose airframes were being delivered.

- Indiana Jones