Fleet air arm TA-4 skyhawks

Started by chrisonord, February 17, 2024, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I was very kindly given a Hasegawa TA-4  skyhawk by Weaver at the Bolton show, as we discussed having them as tankers in my alternative fleet air arm Falklands task force. I have started building said kit, and I am using a refueling pod from a matchbox Victor K2, and the 2 kit large drop tanks, onthe inner wing hardpoints. This leaves the outer pylons empty, so just as a thought, I was pondering putting a sidewinder on them, for the odd occasion that the aircraft has to go into or through hostile airspace, to get to and from its rendevous point.I know it whiff world and I can do what I want, but its not entirely implausable I suppose.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Wardukw

Not implausible at all ..self defense I'd very important so arming it with sidewinders is perfectly fine.
Or arm it with the British equivalent..what ever that might be.
Fact Chris it's just good ol common sense really..myself I'd try to make a twin mount ..2 sidewinders per wing  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

chrisonord

Quote from: Wardukw on February 17, 2024, 02:59:30 PMNot implausible at all ..self defense I'd very important so arming it with sidewinders is perfectly fine.
Fact Chris it's just good ol common sense really..myself I'd try to make a twin mount ..2 sidewinders per wing  ;D
My thoughts exactly,  I did consider a double mounting on one pylon and an early 80's ecm pod of some desription on the other, that yet could happen. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: chrisonord on February 17, 2024, 03:13:11 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on February 17, 2024, 02:59:30 PMNot implausible at all ..self defense I'd very important so arming it with sidewinders is perfectly fine.
My thoughts exactly,  I did consider a double mounting on one pylon and an early 80's ecm pod of some desription on the other, that yet could happen. :thumbsup:
Like it  :thumbsup:
Since this is the 2 seater you do have more room to play with.
You could mount the ECM pod along side the fuselage with a forward mount and still get 4 fast sticks on the wings.
I've got s 48th Hasegawa TA-4J in the stash too I just realized 😳 😅
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

Seems fine to me.
A-4's actually did tanking with a Douglas pod, which Colin Freightdog makes in resin IIRC. Hose pod plus two gas bags plus a Sidewinder on one side and a ALQ-119 (ideally) or a second-hand ALQ-101 (what the Buccs actually had).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on February 17, 2024, 05:01:00 PMSeems fine to me.
A-4's actually did tanking with a Douglas pod, which Colin Freightdog makes in resin IIRC. Hose pod plus two gas bags plus a Sidewinder on one side and a ALQ-119 (ideally) or a second-hand ALQ-101 (what the Buccs actually had).

I have some of each of those, so I will look at what would be the lightest , more than likely the short version of the ALQ-119.

Old Wombat

You need to look at the RAN's A-4Gs for inspiration, Chris.

The centre-line tank is the buddy refueling tank;

Now, this is an interesting photo!

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Looking forward to this, I wish I'd thought of the Tanker as a backstory.
For some reason my Falkland's A4 images have vanished.....

So here a view:
 102_5712 by doug_alba, on Flickr]

chrisonord

Very nice Doug :thumbsup:  Thanks for those pictures O.W. the one with the centreline refueling pod is an interesting one. My tanker skyhawks will be modified to use the drop tanks for refueling as well as keep them in the air. Now to find a squadron for them.

PR19_Kit

Has to be 800B Flight, who used to fly the tanker Scimitars with the foaming tankard fin badge.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2024, 06:19:05 AMHas to be 800B Flight, who used to fly the tanker Scimitars with the foaming tankard fin badge.
I will have to have a look out for some of those decals if they are available, cheers Kit.

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2024, 06:19:05 AMHas to be 800B Flight, who used to fly the tanker Scimitars with the foaming tankard fin badge.

Yeah, perfect markings!

Old Wombat

Quote from: chrisonord on February 18, 2024, 06:05:52 AMVery nice Doug :thumbsup:  Thanks for those pictures O.W. the one with the centreline refueling pod is an interesting one. My tanker skyhawks will be modified to use the drop tanks for refueling as well as keep them in the air. Now to find a squadron for them.

Just remember that the buddy tank loses quite a bit of volume storing the drogue hose & fuel pump mechanism, even though it's a slightly bigger tank it has considerably less capacity than a regular drop-tank.

Unless you double the size of the tanks you're not going to be fueling & flying on the same tanks - & doubling the size will over-stress the hardpoints & wings.

You may be able to carry two buddy tanks & a centre-line drop tank - I think the centre pylon is plumbed, but I'm not sure (I worked on Trackers, not Skyhawks).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 18, 2024, 09:31:54 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 18, 2024, 06:05:52 AMVery nice Doug :thumbsup:  Thanks for those pictures O.W. the one with the centreline refueling pod is an interesting one. My tanker skyhawks will be modified to use the drop tanks for refueling as well as keep them in the air. Now to find a squadron for them.

Just remember that the buddy tank loses quite a bit of volume storing the drogue hose & fuel pump mechanism, even though it's a slightly bigger tank it has considerably less capacity than a regular drop-tank.

Unless you double the size of the tanks you're not going to be fueling & flying on the same tanks - & doubling the size will over-stress the hardpoints & wings.

You may be able to carry two buddy tanks & a centre-line drop tank - I think the centre pylon is plumbed, but I'm not sure (I worked on Trackers, not Skyhawks).
My wiffed version will be using a victor k2 pod on the centre pylon, and the inner wing tanks will be plumbed in to deliver fuel through to it. That should be enough fuel to get the sea jags and Crusaders back in the green whilst on their way back to the carrier.

scooter

Quote from: chrisonord on February 18, 2024, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on February 18, 2024, 09:31:54 AMJust remember that the buddy tank loses quite a bit of volume storing the drogue hose & fuel pump mechanism, even though it's a slightly bigger tank it has considerably less capacity than a regular drop-tank.

My wiffed version will be using a victor k2 pod on the centre pylon, and the inner wing tanks will be plumbed in to deliver fuel through to it. That should be enough fuel to get the sea jags and Crusaders back in the green whilst on their way back to the carrier.

Stations 2, 3, and 4 are plumbed for fuel

https://skyhawk.org/article/a4e-usmc-weapons-loads
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng