Supermarine 553 - somewhere in Australia 1961

Started by dwomby, February 21, 2024, 02:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwomby

Supermarine designed the 553 to meet a UK requirement for an aircraft to research the kinetic heating effects of sustained flight in excess of twice the speed of sound but the UK government chose the Bristol 188 instead.  The 553 never got beyond a paper design but would probably have made use of stainless steel, to avoid the heating limits of aluminium alloy. 

But what if it had been under construction when the UK government chose the Bristol 188.........   

Following selection of the Bristol 188, Supermarine halted work on the partially completed 553 and focussed totally on getting the Swift fully operational.  Meanwhile, in Australia, the government had cancelled the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) CA-23 supersonic fighter - much to the frustration of the RAAF and CAC. The RAAF knew supersonic aircraft would be needed in their inventory within the next decade.  They and CAC still wanted the ability to investigate Mach 1+ flight.  The Australian Government quickly contracted Supermarine to complete the 553 but with a reheated Avon in place of the cancelled RB.106. 

In 1958, the RAAF took delivery of the sole Supermarine 553.  Since it was no longer to be used to investigate airframe heating at higher mach numbers, Supermarine delivered it in all over High Speed Silver rather than leaving it bare metal as originally intended.  It was allocated the A86-001 serial that had been intended for the cancelled P.1081 procurement.    The RAAF's Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) flew the 553 until 1963 when the supersonic Mirage arrived.    It was much disliked by all who flew it.  It was underpowered and had poor yaw and pitch control due to the undersized fin and tailplanes.

A86-001 was, sadly, sold for scrap in 1965.   Here she is in her heyday at ARDU c.1961.

This is an all resin model from Renaud Mangallon who was Sharkit but is now retired.   Some of the build can be seen here: https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13713&start=1074

David

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

:thumbsup:  Nice job!

I presume that it's the Sharkit release? Don't think anyone alse did one. That vertical stabiliser is straight off the Swift, and that had problems with longitudinal stability if I recall correctly. BUILD A BIGGER ONE! But for some reason they stuck with that design.  :banghead:

Both the CAC-23 and the Supermarine 553 were attractively-challenged [/diplomatically-speaking] ;D , but the presumabley excellent view over the nose in the CA-23 makes me think of a carrier version being investigated... ;)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Vulcan7

Great looking build, resin ain't easy, wheels up, whats not to like  ;)  ;D  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Weaver

That looks good: well done!  :thumbsup:

I like the fact that the backstory isn't an all-positive "improvement" on reality. I always think an alternate universe where they make just as many mistakes as we do, but interestingly different ones, is more credible.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

comrade harps

l agree with observation about the undersized Swift tail, but what got me is the Hunter-like wings (minus the intakes, of course).

That's a nice build of an unusual subject.  :thumbsup:

Whatever.

mexchiwa

Looks like an anaconda with a goiter eating a deer.  Like the area rule begins at the windscreen. 

(Not criticisms of your model - that's just what this jet looks like)

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

I like that  :thumbsup:  Very typical of the period to my mind.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dwomby

Thanks, everyone.  Yep, a bit on the unattractive side, isn't it?

David

The Rat

I see another Swift-like potential here: Poor high altitude performance due to undersized empennage, but rock-steady in the thicker air low down. Great high-speed PR platform, and the high wings allow for mucho big ordnance for the attack role.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Glenn Gilbertson

Well modelled, but the design looks so wrong! :thumbsup: