Customising a Revell 1/24 N-1 Starfighter

Started by Madhatter, February 22, 2024, 01:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

am so ready to throw this in the bin.

I had a nice, beautiful paint job on her. Shiny, rich colour and smooth. I let it cure for 5 days straight, then masked it up today, spray some alternate colours and with much excitement, pulled the tape off just now and am ready to cry.

Tamiya masking tape has truly f*&k ed my paint job up.

Its gone from this:

to this:

I am using all of my will power not to bin it. I am hoping someone has an idea on how I can fix this cluster &#%k?

zenrat

Don't despair.  It's f**kin' annoying but it's not the end of the world.

What is the red paint?
Are the marks adhesive residue or has it marked the top surface of the paint?

If its adhesive residue the sticky stuff remover might work on it.  That stuff is orange oil based and should not damage the paint (although try it on a small area first).
If the paint is marked then a gentle polish might work.  However, before polishing you want the paint to be completely gassed out.  Sniff it.  It shouldn't smell of solvents.  If it does it needs longer.  Can you mark it with a fingernail?  This is where a dehydrator comes in handy. 
Also be aware that some polishes can react with some paints.  I've had Meguiars car polish soften enamel paint making it slightly sticky.

As a last resort before stripping it, satin clear coat might hide the marks if they are just on the top of the paint.

The more I look at the pictures, and the more I think about my many paint disasters in the past, I think you didn't leave it for long enough.  Five days might seem a long time but sometimes it can take a few wet coats to get a good shine and so takes longer than you expect to gas out.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

What Fred said, but an additional thought struck me: if it's top layer damage rather than sticky residue, could you call it weathering/wear-and-tear and paint the rest of it accordingly? Just a thought... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Madhatter

That's an interesting point there Fred. I honestly thought 5 days, of which 3 were over 30 degrees, would be sufficient.  I also thought, maybe I should have clear coated the red first as well before masking.
Now that I've had a solid nights sleep, I can work out how to fix it. It appears to just be residue but paint has lifted in a couple of spots. I may just strip the whole lot off and start again

buzzbomb

I have seen your work, you can recover from this  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: buzzbomb on March 14, 2024, 08:34:35 PMI have seen your work, you can recover from this  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

What BB said!
Please don't go to that sort of extreme; it's redeemable in one way or another, and once it's gone it's gone - no amount of second, third, or umpteenth thoughts will rectify it then. (I Know This Now...  :banghead:  )

If it's still giving you the "poos", put it aside for a while and take several breaths, maybe take up a couple of other projects.

Madhatter

I won't bin it - if anything, I'll just strip it right back and start again, I just am not sure I have enough base colour to do it is all.
I was super upset at what happened but as Brian, yourself and everyone has said, its fixable. I'm just peeved that I have too.
I showed the pics to Max @ Metro and he suggested  a couple of citrus based products that may help, but he agreed with me in so far as I should've clear coated the red first.
It was a stupid, rookie mistake and one I won't make again

Old Wombat

And sometimes hot days bake the outside, slowing the escape of gases from the inside, especially with gloss paints, which out-gas more slowly than matt paints anyway.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

I found some citrus cleaner but it didn't work. Also, the tape has actually impressed itself into the paint. So, with that, I have done the only thing possible:

It's all good though. Version 2.0 will be better, smoother with a chance now to add some slight variation to the black

zenrat

It's always good to sleep on it before pulling the pin on a trip to The Tank.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Madhatter

Mate, I will be the first to admit to jazz hands. I had a sook, and now that Im well and truly over it, things are progressing again. I've already laid down a nice base coat of Tamiya gloss black, and it's looking better than the first attempt already.
Lessons well and truly learnt  :thumbsup:

Madhatter

I just finished spraying the wings and they are looking awesome

This time around, I will clear coat them before I even think about masking

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Yeah, but look at the lustre of said red  :wub:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.