Squadron white/green putty.

Started by chrisonord, February 27, 2024, 01:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I am surprised no one has mentioned Milliput.  It is magic stuff, which can fill big and small gaps.  It is moldable with water and dissolves with water very easily.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on February 29, 2024, 02:29:39 AMI am surprise no one has mentioned Milliput.  It is magic stuff, which can fill big and small gaps.  It is moldable with water and dissolves with water very easily.   :thumbsup:

I do like it, but for small jobs it's a pia with the need to mix it, lots of waste.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 29, 2024, 02:35:21 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 29, 2024, 02:29:39 AMI am surprise no one has mentioned Milliput.  It is magic stuff, which can fill big and small gaps.  It is moldable with water and dissolves with water very easily.   :thumbsup:

I do like it, but for small jobs it's a pia with the need to mix it, lots of waste.

Careful measurement tends to prevent that, Chris. :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on February 29, 2024, 01:48:51 AM
Quote from: frank2056 on February 28, 2024, 08:50:21 AMThe Squadron putties are just repackaged putty/fillers...

It's all very well people saying things like that but it would be helpful if we were also provided with definitive information about what exactly had been repackaged (brand names for example) rather than the usual general wave of the hand.

I have only used it more than 30 years ago, but in my opinion was a auto body putty. It's called nitro putty here, I dont know in english speaking countries. There are thousands of brands,
And, concerning which putty to use, I am using that kind of material. Currently a tube os Sikkens Kombifiller, and have also a tube of "Auto K" Kombi-Spachtel, both bought in some DIY store in Germany.
Dizzy has a preferred brand, IIRC.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on February 29, 2024, 03:50:31 AMDizzy has a preferred brand, IIRC.

He and I both use the same stuff, Presto.

Which IS an auto-body nitrate based filler but it's unobtainable in the UK, darn it.  :banghead:

Luckily I have a friend (Guess who............. ;D ) Who sourced me a few boxes a while back, for suitable payment of course, and I probably have enough to last the rest of my life now.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: rickshaw on February 29, 2024, 02:42:54 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 29, 2024, 02:35:21 AM

Careful measurement tends to prevent that, Chris. :thumbsup:

Said 'careful measurement' usually comes after a lot of experience and wastage. I know this now. :banghead:
And I find it takes at least 24 hours to dry, so there's that session finished.

chrisonord

Milliput is awkward for model building, as it can take forever to go off and in my personal experience not very user friendly when it comes to doing fiddly work with it. Squadron got it right, to me anyway, and I just wish someone else would start producing it again.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Rheged

Some time ago, I mentioned that I had tested cheap B & Q filler , including  filling in the undercarriage wheel bays on an ancient paint hack Hurricane.    I have sought  that Hurricane out, and to my surprise and delight the filler is  still filling the spaces without falling out or discolouring.  I think large  tubs of the filler are about  £5 now.  It's good enough for  simple modelling.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

Quote from: Rheged on February 29, 2024, 11:56:29 AMSome time ago, I mentioned that I had tested cheap B & Q filler , including  filling in the undercarriage wheel bays on an ancient paint hack Hurricane.    I have sought  that Hurricane out, and to my surprise and delight the filler is  still filling the spaces without falling out or discolouring.  I think large  tubs of the filler are about  £5 now.  It's good enough for  simple modelling.
Is it ready mixed, or in powder form? A lot household fillers I have, and still am using thats ready mixed has been quite wet.

Rick Lowe

Is that like a drywall, plaster-type filler?
I had a friend who reckoned that under a coat of paint, it was a pretty good, cheap stop-gap.

... Yeah, I didn't spot that pun until I'd typed it; Sorry, Chris... :banghead:

Doug K

Quote from: chrisonord on February 28, 2024, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: Doug K on February 28, 2024, 11:58:32 AMI've found Takuya's closest to Squadron Green
Is that available in the UK, Doug?

Yeah, Amazon, Hobby Craft or Wonderland in Edinburgh

The Wooksta!

I'm happy enough with either the Humbrol or Revell tube fillers.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

Quote from: Doug K on March 02, 2024, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 28, 2024, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: Doug K on February 28, 2024, 11:58:32 AMI've found Takuya's closest to Squadron Green
Is that available in the UK, Doug?

Yeah, Amazon, Hobby Craft or Wonderland in Edinburgh
I can't find Takuya putty anywhere.

chrisonord

Looks like Takuya putty will forever remain shrouded in mystery..... :rolleyes:

Doug K

Quote from: chrisonord on March 04, 2024, 09:06:44 AMLooks like Takuya putty will forever remain shrouded in mystery..... :rolleyes:

Oh god, I'm sorry, I typed Tamyia - bloody auto correct.
Sorry guys.