"The Dam Busters" - Movie aircraft. Finished pics & back story (at last!) pg 18.

Started by zenrat, March 01, 2024, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

We all know how movies, tv, and the media love to get it wrong.  Well imagine if you will what would happen if during the 1960s a movie studio had decided that Operation Chastise, filmed from an American point of view, would make a good star vehicle.
Casting to be decided, but obviously the mission would have been flown in daylight (so much easier to film) using B-17s equipped with Upkeep bombs.

My victim will be a 1/72 Academy B-17E to which an Airfix Bouncing Bomb will be grafted.  I have no idea how easy this will be or even if it will fit...
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on March 01, 2024, 01:09:05 AMI have no idea how easy this will be or even if it will fit...
 :thumbsup:

Sounds like something they might just have thought of, RW...

If the Airfix part doesn't fit, use something else - the movie did, IIRC, as the weapon was still pretty secret...
Or call it a 'Hollywood Special', where they just threw something that looked close under the airframe... it's not as if they never did something like that anyway, right? :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Would this be an RAF como'd B-17, or an 8th Air Force NMF B-17? or even OD maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

OD.  Flying a shiny NMF B-17 across occupied territory in daylight below treetop height would just be ridiculous...   :mellow:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 02, 2024, 02:05:07 AMOD.  Flying a shiny NMF B-17 across occupied territory in daylight below treetop height would just be ridiculous...  :mellow:

Will it have wavy leading & trailing edges on the wings?

I can't actually find any photo's/images of B-17s with that scheme but it was common on many USAAF ETO bombers of the period.

This is the closest I could find (Memphis Belle).

Or maybe some other variation?

Note: This one may be the actual Memphis Belle but the nose art is too blurry to be sure.

Possibly not the Hawai'ian scheme;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

The words "Hawai'ian Scheme bring pineapples to mind.  On a pizza... :thumbsup:

No decision regarding exact scheme details have been made.

Obliging starting pictures.
B-17 Op. Chastise 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
B-17 Op. Chastise 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

But will the Upkeep bomb actually fit in a B-17's bomb bay?

The bay doors will have to go, I'm sure.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2024, 05:11:59 AMBut will the Upkeep bomb actually fit in a B-17's bomb bay?

The bay doors will have to go, I'm sure.

I may be jumping the gun here Kit but as the real Upkeep bomb was carried exposed then if zenrat fits the supports for the bomb inside, or close to, the bomb bay then it should work well. I would remove the ball turret though and maybe fit a gun through a blanking plate in a similar way to what was done in the Upkeep Lancasters.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Yeah, maybe, but a B-17 sits awfully low compared to a Lanc.

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

So this version of "The Dam Busters" will be as accurate and factually correct as the movie U-571 was about capturing an Enigma machine?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Wardukw

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 02, 2024, 10:22:44 AMSo this version of "The Dam Busters" will be as accurate and factually correct as the movie U-571 was about capturing an Enigma machine?

100% as accurate LO mate 👌  :wacko:  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw on March 02, 2024, 10:27:16 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on March 02, 2024, 10:22:44 AMSo this version of "The Dam Busters" will be as accurate and factually correct as the movie U-571 was about capturing an Enigma machine?

In the True Hollywood Historical Ethos! :-/

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 02, 2024, 11:26:08 AM

Or Kits second rule  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw on March 02, 2024, 11:43:56 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 02, 2024, 11:26:08 AM

Or Kits second rule  :thumbsup:

True... ain't that the way most Gub'mints work, too? ;D

Rheged

What is "Accuracy"?  and what does it mean?  Just  asking for  a reporter acquaintance!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet