"The Dam Busters" - Movie aircraft. Finished pics & back story (at last!) pg 18.

Started by zenrat, March 01, 2024, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Thanks guys.

I weathered in the transfers today.  Surprisingly all it took was to dry brush over some light grey.  It tones down the walkway lines nicely

Op Chastise WIP 02-06-2024 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks guys.

Clear gloss over the transfers today.  I think i'll mask and paint the de-icer boots (I presume that is what the black areas on the leading edges are) before applying matt clear as I trust less than the gloss under masking tape (have I ever said I hate masking?).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on June 03, 2024, 05:17:20 AM(have I ever said I hate masking?).

it is straight lines... don't stress the straight stuff ;)

zenrat

No, it's curves.  B-17 boots run round the ends of the wings and stabs, and up the front of the rudder.
But they are simple curves and easy with Tamiya bendy masking tape.

b17 Op Chastise WIP 04-06-24 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Next is flat clear - a possible up-f**king moment as I haven't airbrushed this particular one (Vallejo Acrylic) before.
Fred

Old Wombat

Looking good! :mellow:

Good luck with the clear coat! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

If it's anything like Ammos flat it shouldn't be a problem mate..sprays beautifully  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Well it's on.
Looked a bit patchy (sheen wise) when dog walking time came around but it wasn't fully dried.  Time will tell, but a level of patchy finish wouldn't be a bad thing.

Fred

Rick Lowe

"It's not a bug, it's a Feature!"

Seriously, if you can make any up-stuffs work for you, That's A Win! :thumbsup:

zenrat

I had a second go at the flat clear.  It's now good enough to go on.

B-17 Op Chastise WIP 06-06-2024 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Oddly a section of walkway transfer disappeared from the port wing between the weathering and the gloss clear.

I think I can confidently say that I will not get this finished before the deadline.

Fred

zenrat

OK, this is where I got too...

B17 Op Chastise WIP 07-06-2024 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Some of the glazing crazed under the masks (not all, just some - sometimes there is crazing under one piece of mask but not under another on the same piece of clear styrene.  Odd).  I'm blaming Eduard's adhesive.  Same thing happened on an Airfix B-25.  In future I paint the glass with future before masking it.  Hopefully that will prevent this happening.
Future is also the cure for the crazing.  Painting it on improves matters a lot.  Not enough that it is perfectly clear but enough to stop me throwing the model against the wall.  The pic above has one coat of future on the clear parts.  There will be more.

...To be Continued...

<Chris, I would appreciate it if you could move this one the GB is over.  Thank you  :thumbsup: >
Fred