"The Dam Busters" - Movie aircraft. Finished pics & back story (at last!) pg 18.

Started by zenrat, March 01, 2024, 01:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

The offending word has been edited out the last couple of times i've seen The Dam Busters broadcast on TV.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 24, 2024, 10:29:15 PMBut OTOH, just finish the d*mn* movie and let us see it!!!

*Sorry Chris, didn't see that one coming either, before it was committed to pixels...

To clarify, the apology was for the unintended Pun... ;)  ;D

zenrat

I could find nothing recent on the Peter Jackson movie.
He apparently only bought the rights to remake the 1955 movie for a limited period which may have now expired.
But he also then apparently in about 2018 bought the rights for the James Holland Dam Busters book.
I've not read that book but I have listened to a great deal of James Holland yakking with Al Murray in their We Have Ways Of Making You Talk podcasts.
Apart from a worrying obsession with operation Market Garden Holland seems to talk sense.
They invite questions to the podcast so he might spill some beans if asked.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 25, 2024, 10:16:39 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 24, 2024, 10:29:15 PMBut OTOH, just finish the d*mn* movie and let us see it!!!

*Sorry Chris, didn't see that one coming either, before it was committed to pixels...

To clarify, the apology was for the unintended Pun... ;)  ;D

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 24, 2024, 10:29:15 PMSadly, IIRC it was used as the Code Word for a successful strike, so...  :banghead:

While I agree with historical accuracy, I also see the Problem with it. So, 2 minds... neither of which necessarily work any better than the original...

But OTOH, just finish the d*mn* movie and let us see it!!!

Yeah, I'm in two minds too: on the one hand, I'm firmly against rewriting the past to suite modern sensibilities. On the other, if you do defiantly include the accurate name, nobody will talk about ANYTHING else, the resulting controversy will entirely overshadow everything else about the movie, and whichever actor you get to play Gibson will have it "stamped on their forehead" for the rest of their career.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

In similar vein to the Gibson's dog issue, it's just been announced that 14 Sqn have been told to drop their historic nickname "The Crusaders" because ONE person complained to the MoD that it was offensive.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That's just RIDICULOUS!

That protestor offends ME, so do I get to have him/her extradited?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2024, 06:10:44 AMThat's just RIDICULOUS!

If Only!

We have a South Island rugby union team that knuckled under to that pressure... :angry:

Quote from: Weaver on July 28, 2024, 02:36:04 AMYeah, I'm in two minds too: on the one hand, I'm firmly against rewriting the past to suite modern sensibilities. On the other, if you do defiantly include the accurate name, nobody will talk about ANYTHING else, the resulting controversy will entirely overshadow everything else about the movie, and whichever actor you get to play Gibson will have it "stamped on their forehead" for the rest of their career.

PRECISELY, in all parts!  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2024, 06:10:44 AMThat's just RIDICULOUS!

Allegedly it was a pilot on the squadron.

Also allegedly, the squadron had a meeting and decided their new nickname would be "The Humble".

I kid you not, but note the allegedlies...

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on July 29, 2024, 02:26:21 AMI kid you not, but note the allegedlies...

Exactly and given certain events in the TV News over the last few days lets be very careful about what we see on the Internet. It is all to easy to edit such information so that you are only fed what the editor wants you to see.

Whilst in no way perfect that is why I still prefer to get my news from the Beeb and from newspapers, I read the I, and even they seem to be relying more and more on what someone has filmed on their smartphone.  :-\

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 29, 2024, 07:57:03 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 29, 2024, 02:26:21 AMI kid you not, but note the allegedlies...

Exactly and given certain events in the TV News over the last few days lets be very careful about what we see on the Internet. It is all to easy to edit such information so that you are only fed what the editor wants you to see.

Whilst in no way perfect that is why I still prefer to get my news from the Beeb and from newspapers, I read the I, and even they seem to be relying more and more on what someone has filmed on their smartphone.  :-\

This was actually from PPrune, of which can be said:

Upside: it's full of people on the inside and in the know,

Downside: it's full of people with an axe to grind. Having said that, I think they'd be called out if they just made something up: it's more a matter of strong opinions expressed in barrack room fashion.

From Forces News here: https://www.forcesnews.com/services/raf/raf-crusaders-nickname-deemed-inappropriate-21st-century-following-service-complaint

QuoteAn RAF spokesman said: "As a modern and diverse service, our focus must be on not giving prominence to any offensive term that goes against the ethos of the Royal Air Force, therefore, 14 Squadron have ceased using their historic unofficial nickname. The traditions and informal nicknames used by the RAF in the earliest days of the service have a place in our history, however, some are no longer appropriate in the 21st century."

The RAF's review of historical assets and terminology is ongoing and there is a possibility more changes will be made.

Ironically, the squadron badge has a motto in Arabic - 'I spread my wings and keep my promise', which is an extract from the Koran suggested by the Emir of Transjordan.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

My comment wasn't so much as aimed at your piece in particular H, but making use of your pointing out the "allegedlies" to enable me to point out the dangers of the Web. It's a wonderful tool when used correctly, but also so easy to manipulate.

Cheers for your update as to source  :thumbsup: