Trabant 601 Truck

Started by PFJN, March 01, 2024, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PFJN on March 02, 2024, 06:25:15 PMThe second thing I discovered was that while the Trabant is often decribed as having composite body panels on a steel frame, I did not realize how extensive that frame was.  I was able to find a 3D model of the frame of the Trabant that showed it to extend from the bottom of the car to the roof, kind of like what you might see in a modern "unibody" type car, as shown below.

Like a Rover P6, with a strong inner frame with body panels bolted to it to give the shape.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

mat

Quote from: PFJN on March 01, 2024, 11:42:01 AMHi,
Although some Trabant Truck conversions appear to have been made, from what I can find on the internet it does not appear that a factory built truck was ever developed.  As such I was thinking of converting my 601S kit into a prototype 1960s era truck model.  The thought would be to eithr make it into something similar to the "R20" pickup truck variant of the Polish FSO Syrena, from arround the same timeframe, or perhaps make it into a flatbed type truck.

Regards

Pat

In the time of DDR, the Volkspolizei used this version of the Trabant to patrol the "Innerdeutsche Grenz" (the Iron Curtain)

Rick Lowe

loupgarou

Very interesting idea , and a pick-up Trabant would be pretty. But it's NOT a big car, a step-side version would not leave much space for a load. A version with straight sides would be more practical (and possibly easier to build)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: loupgarou on March 04, 2024, 12:11:30 AMVery interesting idea , and a pick-up Trabant would be pretty. But it's NOT a big car, a step-side version would not leave much space for a load. A version with straight sides would be more practical (and possibly easier to build)

But are we going for 'Practical', or 'Coolness Factor'?*  ;)

*As much as a Trabbie can have, of course...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mat on March 03, 2024, 11:38:26 PMIn the time of DDR, the Volkspolizei used this version of the Trabant to patrol the "Innerdeutsche Grenz" (the Iron Curtain)

Hmm, I can recall seeing a couple of those in East Berlin a few times. Back in the late 70s, early 80s that was.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PFJN

Hi,
I've started making a little progress today.  The first image below shows my forst attempt to 3D print the aft frame parts for the side of the truck bed.  One side came out ok but the other side kind of broke up as I tried to trim and clean it, so I ended up printing a couple additional pieces.

The next image shows an effort to try and fit thye right side frame piece onto the kit bottom piece, using a little superglue and a lot of Bondo.  Once I get that cleaned up a bit more, I will try and do the same for the other side of the truck. 

Regards

Pat 

frank2056

You can probably leave the Bondo unpainted to make the truck look realistic!

zenrat

Looking good.

I've built the full detail Revell Trabbie.  Nice little kit.  Opening bonnet and boot and turning steering.  Tiny little engine and vey little space to transplant anything in.  In the traditional location anyway.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2024, 02:44:30 AMIn the traditional location anyway.   ;D

See my comment re Hemis earlier.......................  ;)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

So the 'Blobak' or 'Li'l Red Wagon' Effect is still going strong, then...  :thumbsup:  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 06, 2024, 12:29:55 AMSo the 'Blobak' or 'Li'l Red Wagon' Effect is still going strong, then...  :thumbsup:  ;D

Of course!

'Li'l Red Wagon' was/is an icon of its time. I still have an unbuilt MPC kit of it in The Loft.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I like the step side idea but what about a duelie step side ..epic cool 😁 😎
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Throw duallies into this and there's no load bed to speak of, any more! ;D

Old Wombat

Who said they need to be inside the original wheelbase? :unsure:

:wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est