2024/2025 Group Build Season - Call for ideas

Started by NARSES2, March 05, 2024, 06:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

In memorial sounds good.
Many good ideas here.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Right a couple from me.

Firstly I'll second Mossies' Century Series GB as it was on my list  :thumbsup:

The 30's GB. Taking the idea of a decade GB back pre-World War II which would span a period of great change.

The South of the Equator GB. Lots of things tend to be northern hemisphere centric, so how about concentrating on the southern one for a change. Your build has to emanate from there or at least be based there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2024, 05:05:28 AMI'm going to suggest it again, 'cos I still think it's a good idea:

The James Bond GB: build a what-if vehicle or gadget from a Bond movie.

This gives scope for just about all types of modeller to participate, since it covers aircraft, spacecraft, military vehicles, cars, all kinds of boats/ships, submarines and even 1:1 scale props (just don't build an _actual_ poison-dart-shooting pen though...). The build could either be an altenative vehicle/gadget for a real Bond movie (i.e. a Jag E-Type instead of an Aston Martin DB5), a spoof Bond-ish movie, a what-if Bond movie that you made up, or even a what-if spoof Bond movie!

If you're going to have James Bond, then I think the group build should be expanded to also include vehicles and gadgets used by villains too. You can't have one without the other. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Quote from: seadude on March 06, 2024, 06:41:58 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2024, 05:05:28 AMI'm going to suggest it again, 'cos I still think it's a good idea:

This gives scope for just about all types of modeller to participate, since it covers aircraft, spacecraft, military vehicles, cars, all kinds of boats/ships, submarines and even 1:1 scale props (just don't build an _actual_ poison-dart-shooting pen though...). The build could either be an altenative vehicle/gadget for a real Bond movie (i.e. a Jag E-Type instead of an Aston Martin DB5), a spoof Bond-ish movie, a what-if Bond movie that you made up, or even a what-if spoof Bond movie!

If you're going to have James Bond, then I think the group build should be expanded to also include vehicles and gadgets used by villains too. You can't have one without the other. ;)

Yes, that's implicit in the idea: it says "a gadget or vehicle from a James Bond movie", not ""a gadget or vehicle used by James Bond". The evil villain's secret HQ inside a sewage farm in Basingstoke or the evil asassin's blow-dart gun in a packet of Polo mints are totally within scope.  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

Perhaps the title should be "The Bond Movie GB" just to make it clear. "James Bond Gee Bee" does trip nicely off the tongue though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2024, 06:37:43 AMRight a couple from me.

Firstly I'll second Mossies' Century Series GB as it was on my list  :thumbsup:

The 30's GB. Taking the idea of a decade GB back pre-World War II which would span a period of great change.

The South of the Equator GB. Lots of things tend to be northern hemisphere centric, so how about concentrating on the southern one for a change. Your build has to emanate from there or at least be based there.

Yes, yes. I second and third that, it's  a period with great changes AND bizarre ideas.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2024, 06:20:20 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 05, 2024, 11:44:05 AMFinally, Chris, does the plan to hold an 'In Memoriam GB' still stand?

Yes, it will be the first GB of the season. Apologies if me simply referring to it as the Tophe Memorial GB in my pre-amble misled people. I'll change it.

I did read your preamble, Chris, and - dunno how - totally missed the Tophe reference.  Would have put the question differently had I seen it.

Many thanks for the clarification.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Nick

Considering that most of the world is north of the equator I suggest the following:

AFRICA! Anything used by the nations of Africa.

South America! Anything used by the nations of South America. Not including British forces in the South Atlantic i.e. no Falklands 82 stuff.

Central America and the Caribbean! Anything used by the nations of the Caribbean and Central America.

Any of the above could include exploration, smuggling, local wars, contributions to global conflicts like WW2 or the Cold War.

1970s - same as other previous decade based GBs.

Mossie

Quote from: McColm on March 05, 2024, 08:06:07 AMAtomic powered transport
Trains, planes, ships, submarines, cars, trucks or spaceships. Concepts, real world, featured in TV shows or films or pure whiffs.

Quote from: kerick on March 05, 2024, 06:50:26 PMAtomic powered transport!
A nuclear USS Iowa sounds great!

I had a similar idea a few years back, if I could so boldly suggest to stretch it to "Atomic'.  That opens the scope to atompunk, buckets of sunshine and nuclear death rays.

And Blondie...  ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

seadude

Quote from: kerick on March 05, 2024, 06:50:26 PMAtomic powered transport!
A nuclear USS Iowa sounds great!

Been there and done that. ;) My modeling skills were crude way back then, but I did a nuclear powered USS New Jersey over 20 years ago. Pics below. The model no longer exists in my collection sadly.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2024, 06:50:39 AMYes, that's implicit in the idea: it says "a gadget or vehicle from a James Bond movie", not ""a gadget or vehicle used by James Bond". The evil villain's secret HQ inside a sewage farm in Basingstoke or the evil asassin's blow-dart gun in a packet of Polo mints are totally within scope.  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

Perhaps the title should be "The Bond Movie GB" just to make it clear. "James Bond Gee Bee" does trip nicely off the tongue though...

That's a diorama that would be a real show-stopper at any exhibition!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Quote from: Rheged on March 06, 2024, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2024, 06:50:39 AMYes, that's implicit in the idea: it says "a gadget or vehicle from a James Bond movie", not ""a gadget or vehicle used by James Bond". The evil villain's secret HQ inside a sewage farm in Basingstoke or the evil asassin's blow-dart gun in a packet of Polo mints are totally within scope.  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

That's a diorama that would be a real show-stopper at any exhibition!!

Would the evil villain secret HQ inside the sewage farm be required to stink like a sewage farm?
Asking for a friend.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on March 06, 2024, 11:34:58 AMAnd Blondie...  ;)

Had front row seats at the Hammersmith Odeon for their first UK tour, mates wife worked for their record label, and the image of Debbie Harry in that swimsuit and blazer is burnt into my memory  :wub:  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I figured the slightest hint of Debbie Harry would be bribe enough to get you to tear my pages out the book... ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on March 07, 2024, 10:53:22 AMI figured the slightest hint of Debbie Harry would be bribe enough to get you to tear my pages out the book... ;D

You know me to well  :angel:

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on March 06, 2024, 06:50:39 AM
Quote from: seadude on March 06, 2024, 06:41:58 AM

Yes, that's implicit in the idea: it says "a gadget or vehicle from a James Bond movie", not ""a gadget or vehicle used by James Bond". The evil villain's secret HQ inside a sewage farm in Basingstoke or the evil asassin's blow-dart gun in a packet of Polo mints are totally within scope.  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

::cues up obscure Monty Python reference::
Is that Basingstoke in Hampshire?  Or the Basingstoke in Westphalia?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng