Hi-Tech F-4 Phantom - FINISHED

Started by silverwindblade, March 13, 2024, 05:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

I haven't posted on here for... ages, but I have been pretty actively modelling all the time, and I have been creeping on the forum as always. I think when the Great BotoPhucket Purge happened, I lost interest in keeping up a bit.
But recently I thought I'd engage again, especially because I've been doing a bit of interesting plastic bashing.

After a previous project involving a Phantom met with an inglorious end - it came to pieces after a house move, and was beyond my patience to salvage - I was gifted a replacement kit by a friend, after he picked it up cheap at a model show.
I knew I wanted to modify it and modernise it a bit, and I was heavily inspired by Far148's RCAF F-4 Phantom.
I'm not intending to completely replicate his work - of course, where's the fun in doing what's already done - but certainly some similar modifications were inspired, and some techniques too.
And, being me; a sci-fi and anime-inspired flair will be present throughout as... well, that's just how my fictional backgrounds for such things roll, and where I get my inspiration from.
On with the show...

The Kit:

The kit I'm working with is the Esci F-4 'Thunderbirds' release. I specifically was looking for a phantom with a gun nose, and my friend picked this one out for me.
It doesn't come with any underwing pylons - other than for the fuel tanks - and internal cockpit detail is quite sparse, especially for the bang seats.
Surface detail is good though, with some nice panel lines. Parts are pretty decent, though with a bit of flash.

One of the more interesting - or, at least, amusing - bits to note is that the white plastic the kit is molded in has aged on some parts to this lovely butterscotch colour, which is almost identical to the colour resin parts are. Which is quite funny, considering the outer pylons in this picture are actually resin ones.

The kit manual's blurb about the Thunderbirds mentions that their most 'recent' aircraft are T-38 Talons... which means this kit is either from before they switched to the F-16, or the manual wasn't updated. Either way; I think it's at least as old as I am (and I was born in 1981...)

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

silverwindblade

Starting Work:

As usual, work started with the cockpit. No instrument details were molded in, and only decals were provided. I didn't fancy splashing out to get hold of some PE or other aftermarket stuff, and instead decided to use plasticard to add some basic detail.

I cut various bits of thin card to the shape of screens and panels, imagining various multifunction panels. I also used some scrap rod to model a throttle.
I used the F-35's controls as an inspiration for the front display, along with a little bit of influence from the Robotech Macross VF-1 Valkyrie transforming fighter, and made the whole thing 'touch screens' (well, in my head anyway).
The joystick had gone missing from the kit, but luckily I had a whole spare Phantom cockpit that was just in the box, and painted. I nicked the pilot's stick from this.

Then it was time to get SCI-FI!
My original, junked Phantom had the back canopy 'plated over' in a similar way to the Mitsubishi F-1 combat version of the T-2 did.
However, I wanted to do something more interesting in this instance, so using bits of plasticard stock - square hollow beams, card, and tube - and various thicknesses of wire, I created a 'computer system' to take up the back seat.
The fictional explanation for this is that it's an 'assistance AI' that learns the pilot's flying style and also assists with managing stores, and is linked into newer, digital flight computer and performance management systems, as well as the aircraft's avionics.
Why would someone put this on a phantom instead of a more modern aircraft?
Good question.

The kits' seats were pretty poor, but I'd already had my eye on this, and picked up a set of Eduard Brassin seats while at a model show in the bargain bucket from Models for Sale, which is also where I nabbed the resin outer pylons (it says £5.00 on the box, but they were cheaper!). They may have been meant for the Hasegawa kit, but they fit fine in this one.
I didn't apply all of the PE to the seat after painting it, as it was far, far beyond my patience to do so.

I don't have any pictures of the painted 'pit before I put it into the aircraft, but I ended up slicing up various cockpit decals I had left in my decal stash and adding them, as the painted 'screens' on the sills and sides looked a bit naff and under-detailed. Happy with that, I gave it a quick coat of varnish, and then added some decals to the AI unit to make it look a bit more detailed and interesting, before sealing it all into the fuselage.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

silverwindblade

The Body In Question

Having dealt with the cockpit and actually made it a fun process, I started work on the rest of the aircraft.
I'd already put a substantial amount of Liquid Gravity into the nose cone, sealing it in with a combination of PVA glue (which did not work very well) and blu-tac (which did work well).

There were not many parts to the kit. This made assembly quick and easy. Two large fuselage halves, the cockpit tub and a bottom piece, upper and lower wings, etc.

There wasn't too much seam filling; just around the rear of the intakes where they met the body.
However, there were seams that needed sanding and then rescribing, which was easily taken care of.
I added some small canards from spare parts in my bits box (no idea where they came from!) and a pair of blade antennas I had spare. An actuator from the underwing of an F/A-18 also made a suitable dome antenna. I pondered adding more, but I thought it would have looked too busy.
Some clearfix attached the canopies, and we were away.

The AI unit showed up really well through the canopy after it was attached. The front cockpit... not so much, which kind of made my efforts to make it look cool a bit of a waste of time. But at least I know they're there...

silverwindblade

Modern Chic

After attaching my antennae to the spine of the aircraft, I wanted it to look more modern and hi-tech.
'Bird-slicer' IFF antennae always look modern and FAR148's Phantom looked great with them too. So, following his example and method, I added some to my own.

I also wanted some additional sensors on the nose, so after taking a look at various references, and in particular the Israeli F-16 Barak, I used some bits of thick plasticard strip and sanded them to shape, and then added a slice of hexagonal rod for some detail. Once they were glued into place, I then sanded them to shape and thickness.
Once painted, I will probably add a small craft gem to the front face of each, with the idea they are sensors used by the AI system.

The small canards I added kept coming off, as they were just butt-jointed to the sides of the intakes, and the connection hadn't really bonded. I still wanted some canards, so I took some thick plasticard and drew out the shape of the canard I wanted with careful measurements... and they still didn't come out the same  :banghead:
So, I sanded both to the same shape, and then filed them to get a front and rear airfoil profile. A couple of wire pins were added, and then they were superglued into place, and a bit of filler added to make the joint flush.

The canopy is now masked as well, which is as far as I've got. Next thing will be to shoot a coat of primer.
For colour scheme, I'm thinking two shades of blue... mainly because I have two different shades of Tamiya blue in my paint box I want to use up so I can replace them with SMS paints at some point.

I am also awaiting the delivery of a set of Reskit inner pylons that have the rails on the sides for air to air missiles.
I want to mount a target pod and maybe an ECM pod in the front Sparrow wells, but haven't been able to find a resin pylon adaptor that's in stock anywhere, so I may just build something that looks the part myself from scrap bits.

I haven't quite decided on the full loadout yet, but it will have a pair of F-16 tanks on the outer pylons, AMRAAMs in the rear sparrow wells, sidewinders on the sides of the inner wings and then something air-to-ground under them. I was considering a GEPOD on the underbelly hardpoint, but I'm also tempted by the idea of some kind of enormous missile, if I can custom build something.

Gondor

Pilot "Open the Cockpit please HAL"

HAL "I'm Sorry I can't do that!"

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Spino

This ought to be interesting.  The F-4 is still flying today, so modernized versions aren't too far-fetched.  Seems like Israel was developing an advanced version of the Phantom called "Kurnass 2000" or something like that.  Better engines and avionics were the main features I believe.  This sort of takes that to the next level though.

killnoizer

Quote from: silverwindblade on March 13, 2024, 06:16:15 AMModern Chic

After attaching my antennae to the spine of the aircraft, I wanted it to look more modern and hi-tech.
'Bird-slicer' IFF antennae always look modern and FAR148's Phantom looked great with them too. So, following his example and method, I added some to my own.

I also wanted some additional sensors on the nose, so after taking a look at various references, and in particular the Israeli F-16 Barak, I used some bits of thick plasticard strip and sanded them to shape, and then added a slice of hexagonal rod for some detail. Once they were glued into place, I then sanded them to shape and thickness.
Once painted, I will probably add a small craft gem to the front face of each, with the idea they are sensors used by the AI system.

The small canards I added kept coming off, as they were just butt-jointed to the sides of the intakes, and the connection hadn't really bonded. I still wanted some canards, so I took some thick plasticard and drew out the shape of the canard I wanted with careful measurements... and they still didn't come out the same  :banghead:
So, I sanded both to the same shape, and then filed them to get a front and rear airfoil profile. A couple of wire pins were added, and then they were superglued into place, and a bit of filler added to make the joint flush.

The canopy is now masked as well, which is as far as I've got. Next thing will be to shoot a coat of primer.
For colour scheme, I'm thinking two shades of blue... mainly because I have two different shades of Tamiya blue in my paint box I want to use up so I can replace them with SMS paints at some point. I have some really cool hexagonal camo masks I originally bought for Gundam modelling that I may use, or get some larger sizes of and incorporate them into the scheme.

I am also awaiting the delivery of a set of Reskit inner pylons that have the rails on the sides for air to air missiles.
I want to mount a target pod and maybe an ECM pod in the front Sparrow wells, but haven't been able to find a resin pylon adaptor that's in stock anywhere, so I may just build something that looks the part myself from scrap bits.

I haven't quite decided on the full loadout yet, but it will have a pair of F-16 tanks on the outer pylons, AMRAAMs in the rear sparrow wells, sidewinders on the sides of the inner wings and then something air-to-ground under them. I was considering a GEPOD on the underbelly hardpoint, but I'm also tempted by the idea of some kind of enormous missile, if I can custom build something.

I do a lot of work like the canard problem , but never use superglue for that . The connection is much stronger with the standard revell glue , let the the styrol melt ,on both sides ,  nearly dry and ad another glue again, pres them together and it becomes like one piece ,  I have never a broken connection at all of my builds !

Nice build of my favourite fighter , thank you for showing  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

kerick

Looking great!! I love your upgrades.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

KiwiZac

I'm a sucker for things like this and the canards are just *chef's kiss*. Tuned in and eagerly awaiting the next installment!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kerick

There was a serious proposal for a conformal fuel tank for the Phantom. The Air National Guard and USAF Reserves were very interested.
Some info from Secret Projects
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/1980s-f-4-phantom-upgrades-bmac-iai-adtac-etc.6301/

And from Tacairnet
https://tacairnet.com/2015/06/18/redeveloping-the-f-4-phantom-ii-into-a-mach-3-fighterspy-plane/
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

silverwindblade

Quote from: killnoizer on March 13, 2024, 12:26:03 PMI do a lot of work like the canard problem , but never use superglue for that . The connection is much stronger with the standard revell glue , let the the styrol melt ,on both sides ,  nearly dry and ad another glue again, pres them together and it becomes like one piece ,  I have never a broken connection at all of my builds !

Nice build of my favourite fighter , thank you for showing  :thumbsup:

I used Poly cement for the original small canards, but they just wouldn't stay attached. The slightest bump or knock had them coming off, which is why I gave up on them and used the larger ones that I could pin into place for a more secure joint.
Normally of course, I would use polystyrene cement for plastic glueing, and I keep superglue for metal to plastic or resin parts and so on. But yeah, for some reason those little ones just wouldn't stay attached, even using poly cement.

Quote from: Spino on March 13, 2024, 07:37:28 AMThis ought to be interesting.  The F-4 is still flying today, so modernized versions aren't too far-fetched.  Seems like Israel was developing an advanced version of the Phantom called "Kurnass 2000" or something like that.  Better engines and avionics were the main features I believe.  This sort of takes that to the next level though.

Yes, the Kurnass 2000, Turkish F-4 2020 Terminator Phantoms and to a lesser extent the German, Greek and Japanese ones were a big influence and source of inspiration, but like you say; taking it to a higher level still.

Quote from: KiwiZac on March 13, 2024, 02:54:49 PMI'm a sucker for things like this and the canards are just *chef's kiss*. Tuned in and eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Glad you like it; more will be coming shortly!

Quote from: kerick on March 13, 2024, 05:11:40 PMThere was a serious proposal for a conformal fuel tank for the Phantom. The Air National Guard and USAF Reserves were very interested.
Some info from Secret Projects
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/1980s-f-4-phantom-upgrades-bmac-iai-adtac-etc.6301/

And from Tacairnet
https://tacairnet.com/2015/06/18/redeveloping-the-f-4-phantom-ii-into-a-mach-3-fighterspy-plane/

I did consider doing something more extensive like that, but it was more plastic bashing than I was willing to commit to at this moment in time, and would've probably sucked my joy out of it and turned it into more of a chore. It is interesting information though!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on March 13, 2024, 05:11:40 PMThere was a serious proposal for a conformal fuel tank for the Phantom. The Air National Guard and USAF Reserves were very interested.

An offshoot from the F-4X resulted in the three IDF F-4E(S) PR Phantoms which were intended to have most of the F-4X mods, but eventually ended up with just the nose mods to carry the monster HIAC-1 camera fit.

I've had a RW F-4E(S) build under way for at least 25 yrs now, one day I may finish it.......................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Cockpit work looks really good! (Despite being hidden under the closed canopy.) :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

This is cool, and I shall be watching with  interest. I did a "modified" phantom a few years ago with conformal tanks on the upper fuselage sides, and also put a 1 piece bubnle caopy on it. Its probably damaged beyond repair now unfortunately. :unsure:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!