RAAC 1st Armoured Regiment M48

Started by Wardukw, March 14, 2024, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on April 03, 2024, 11:16:01 PMProblem chaps..I can't seem to get a clear idea of our mates uniform colours ..light OD ..medium OD ..dark karki ..I don't know cause I keep finding conflicting information...who knows for sure ?

Green?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

The colour was, I believe, called "Jungle Green" but a good approximation would be Tamiya's Acrylic Matt Olive Green (XF-58) for that "new" look & add Tamiya Acrylic Flat Buff (XF-57) to fade it down as desired.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 04, 2024, 08:07:17 AMThe colour was, I believe, called "Jungle Green" but a good approximation would be Tamiya's Acrylic Matt Olive Green (XF-58) for that "new" look & add Tamiya Acrylic Flat Buff (XF-57) to fade it down as desired.
Thanks ya muchly Gentlmens  ;D
I think I have both of these colours  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Quote from: Wardukw on April 03, 2024, 11:16:01 PMProblem chaps..I can't seem to get a clear idea of our mates uniform colours ..light OD ..medium OD ..dark karki ..I don't know cause I keep finding conflicting information...who knows for sure ?

Quote from: Wardukw on April 04, 2024, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 04, 2024, 08:07:17 AMThe colour was, I believe, called "Jungle Green" but a good approximation would be Tamiya's Acrylic Matt Olive Green (XF-58) for that "new" look & add Tamiya Acrylic Flat Buff (XF-57) to fade it down as desired.

Having spent quite a bit of time if exactly the same gear, but 15 odd years after the end of Vietnam, that is probably a reasonable colour to start with. Brand new, that colour is close, if a bit brown if my fading memory still serves, but greens faded quickly, especially with the average soldier of the time having next to zero experience with laundry fine details like how much soap powder to use etc ;) Gear for the bush was inevitably the faded stuff, while the new gear was parade and barracks gear.
You could go to the Vallejo Afrika Korps Green, which I tend to use for this era uniform for Australian Greens for the faded colour

It is almost a bit like what colour is Russian Green  ;D

Wardukw

Buzzy mate it's quite possible I might have that colour too 😄.
I checked my Tamiya paint pile and found the 2 the Guy helped me with  :thumbsup: ...now I'll take a gander at the Vallejo pile  ;D

(Later that night ) ...Took a look and nope..I have got cam olive green and medium olive ..don't have many Vallejo paints ..yet  ;)
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Forgot to add these two blokes ..
DSCF4544 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
They are undercoated now and paint will hit them either today or tomorrow .

kerick

The guy with the white parts looks like he's related to Arrrnnooold!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: buzzbomb on April 04, 2024, 02:30:42 PM

Quote from: Wardukw on April 04, 2024, 11:12:48 AM

Having spent quite a bit of time if exactly the same gear, but 15 odd years after the end of Vietnam, that is probably a reasonable colour to start with. Brand new, that colour is close, if a bit brown if my fading memory still serves, but greens faded quickly, especially with the average soldier of the time having next to zero experience with laundry fine details like how much soap powder to use etc ;) Gear for the bush was inevitably the faded stuff, while the new gear was parade and barracks gear.
You could go to the Vallejo Afrika Korps Green, which I tend to use for this era uniform for Australian Greens for the faded colour

It is almost a bit like what colour is Russian Green  ;D

That colour is too brown.  Humbrol 78 is approximately right for sun-faded greens. When they adopted the new Cam uniforms they trialed them against a well-faded set of Greens.  The Greens won the competition after they had been worn for a fortnight in the dust of the Australian Bush.  They were a mix of green and brown.  I knew an ex-SASR trooper who had a set of Greens which could basically march themselves across a parade ground.  He refused to wash them, ever 'cause detergent had a distinctive smell which was easy to detect in the Bush.  He used to take great delight of standing next to newly washed diggers at the end of an exercise.  His wife banished them to outdoors, rather than allow them into the house.  Greens were a distinctive colour, all their own after a few weeks outside.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Wardukw

Well its got the first coating of OD ..next is shading .....now ive kinda got the thining process sorted for AK Interactive paints this is going to go quite well...I hope 😀

Wardukw

Right the tank is 99.9% done ..just a decal to add and it's done .
What might not be done is the crew ..they are looking like crap ..I just can't seem to find a groove for painting them ..their both painted and with simple skin tones at the mo ...I'll keep playing but not promising they be there .

buzzbomb

At least the tank is just about done. :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: buzzbomb on June 04, 2024, 03:25:58 PMAt least the tank is just about done. :thumbsup:
Good news buzzy mate...she's all finished ..flat cleared it this morning..so I'll post it later today..still thinking of a back story  but since I've got actual true info to work with its gonna be pretty easy  ;D

Wardukw

Well here she is boys ...and i just ran out of time and mojo to finish the crew ,,i just couldnt get them to look right ...not sure what it was either but nothing gelled here ...still tempted to try and finish em at some date ..but heres the RAAC M48A3  .
DSCF4614 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4616 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4617 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4618 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4620 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4621 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4622 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4623 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4625 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

NARSES2

Come out really well, the stowage in particular  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..