Cessna 310 - Katanga

Started by mat, March 15, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Coming along nicely  :thumbsup:

This builds triggering memories of the ITV/BBC Evening News programmes of the time and one assembly at school.  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2024, 07:29:11 AMComing along nicely  :thumbsup:

This builds triggering memories of the ITV/BBC Evening News programmes of the time and one assembly at school.  :-\

And me. Pitiful sight each evening.  :-\
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

buzzbomb

Wardukw

Lovely bit of paint work on a rather small subject  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PFJN

Hi,
That turned out really nice.
Pat

Weaver

Quote from: mat on April 12, 2024, 06:35:36 AMThe Katanga Cessna 310 have been painted. The inspiration came from a N.A. T-6 Texan/Harvard, that served in an other of the 1960s wars - Biafra.

Oh that's pretty: I like "outline" cammo jobs.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on April 06, 2024, 03:34:32 AMI spent 10 years in the Australian Army from 1977 to 1988 and during that time I trained a few Army Reserve recruit courses.  I used to teach them to shoot the F1 SMG (which looks like a Stirling turned on it's side with a top mounted magazine).  I used to teach them to hold the SMG into their sides and the left hand on top of the cooling jacket, pointing instinctively at the target.  I used to chop down Figure 11 targets when demonstrating it to the recruits on the 25 metre range.  They learnt similar skills.  My best recruit was a Vietnamese recruit who was a dead-eye Dick.  When I asked him where he had learnt to shoot like that, he said, "In the war."  I then remarked, "In the ARVN?"  He replied, "No, in the VC."  I suggested that he should keep that a bit quiet.  :banghead:

What did you make of the F1? I hear various conflicting opinions.
Did you ever get a chance to shoot a Stirling, and if so, how did they compare?
The F1 always looked like a decent idea to me, apart, perhaps, from the fragile-looking rear sight.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

mat

Quote from: Weaver on April 13, 2024, 01:32:17 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on April 06, 2024, 03:34:32 AMI spent 10 years in the Australian Army from 1977 to 1988 and during that time I trained a few Army Reserve recruit courses.  I used to teach them to shoot the F1 SMG (which looks like a Stirling turned on it's side with a top mounted magazine).  I used to teach them to hold the SMG into their sides and the left hand on top of the cooling jacket, pointing instinctively at the target.  I used to chop down Figure 11 targets when demonstrating it to the recruits on the 25 metre range.  They learnt similar skills.  My best recruit was a Vietnamese recruit who was a dead-eye Dick.  When I asked him where he had learnt to shoot like that, he said, "In the war."  I then remarked, "In the ARVN?"  He replied, "No, in the VC."  I suggested that he should keep that a bit quiet.  :banghead:

The F1 always looked like a decent idea to me, apart, perhaps, from the fragile-looking rear sight.
In the danish army and homeguard we were at the time of my service armed with the LMG M/62, which were the the german MG 42, build to NATO 7,62 mm ammunition. It was a fantastic weapon. It would fire 1200 rounds a minute, so you could not hear the single shots. It sounded more like, when you tear a cloth. You could fire shorts burst from the hip, while walking forward. It would really keep the heads down !

rickshaw

The F1 was an excellent little SMG.  It's sight might have looked fragile but it was in reality robust enough when it was needed, which wasn't all that often.  I never fired a Stirling but that always look a tad awkward to me with it's side mounted magazine.  The F1's magazine was centrally located and most useful there in brushing vegetation aside just as the Owen's was.  It's trigger group was adapted from the L1a1 SLR's as was the butt.  Basically it could be dropped, stood on and it would keep working.  I've used one to get over obstacles along with the rest of my section and you could use it quite easily afterwards.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: mat on April 13, 2024, 02:59:36 AM

In the danish army and homeguard we were at the time of my service armed with the LMG M/62, which were the the german MG 42, build to NATO 7,62 mm ammunition. It was a fantastic weapon. It would fire 1200 rounds a minute, so you could not hear the single shots. It sounded more like, when you tear a cloth. You could fire shorts burst from the hip, while walking forward. It would really keep the heads down !

So what was your SMG then? Madsen M-50?

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on April 13, 2024, 03:46:01 AM

The F1 was an excellent little SMG.  It's sight might have looked fragile but it was in reality robust enough when it was needed, which wasn't all that often.  I never fired a Stirling but that always look a tad awkward to me with it's side mounted magazine.  The F1's magazine was centrally located and most useful there in brushing vegetation aside just as the Owen's was.  It's trigger group was adapted from the L1a1 SLR's as was the butt.  Basically it could be dropped, stood on and it would keep working.  I've used one to get over obstacles along with the rest of my section and you could use it quite easily afterwards.

Cheers - always good to hear from actual end-users as opposed to pundits theorizing from afar. I always wondered why they didn't just make the sight a nice, strong block on the mag well. Sure it'd reduce the sight radius a bit, but as you say, these aren't long-range weapons in the first place.

I gather that everyone's first reaction to the Stirling ("awkward") was the same, but that in practice it wasn't nearly as bad as feared once the handling had got to the stage of muscle memory.

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mat

Quote from: Weaver on April 13, 2024, 03:57:47 AM
Quote from: mat on April 13, 2024, 02:59:36 AM

So what was your SMG then? Madsen M-50?

Nope. The Madsen M-50 were only used by the danish police. The army and homeguard used a swedish M/49 designed by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärfaktori and in Denmark 15.000 were produced on license.

You cannot view this attachment.

Weaver

Quote from: mat on April 13, 2024, 06:23:40 AMNope. The Madsen M-50 were only used by the danish police. The army and homeguard used a swedish M/49 designed by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärfaktori and in Denmark 15.000 were produced on license.

Ah, a toob rather than a tin can then... ;D

- Indiana Jones

mat

So now the homemade decals are on, and its time to go to the next step in the build: Undercarriage and weapons.

You cannot view this attachment.