Cessna 310 - Katanga

Started by mat, March 15, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

The Republic of Katanga, was a breakaway state that proclaimed its independence from Congo-LĂ©opoldville on 11 July 1960. The end of the Katanga independence came in 21 january 1963, when UN forces entered Kolwezi - the rebels last stronghold.

In its short time of existence Katanga managed to establish an airforce, equipped with a mottled collection of airplanes: Fouga Magisters, N.A. T-6 Texans and some airliners converted to bombers.

In my parallel universe Katanga also managed to acquire and convert a single Cessna 310, which for some months acted as close support to "Gendarmerie Katangaise".

My what-if build will be based on the Aurora Netherlands 1/62 scale (Close to but not quit 1/72) kit from 1963. In that time aircraft kits were often without landing gear and the interior were a complete void. So there will be a lot of scratch building.

You cannot view this attachment.

kerick

And for some reason they could make most parts fit together but never the clear ones!
This looks like quite a challenge. It would be interesting just in civilian markings. I'm sure your version will be fun to see.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Oooohhh, a 310!  :thumbsup:

AGES since I saw one of those, and a few in the range were 1/72, just by chance as they fitted the standard size Aurora boxes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

:thumbsup:  Said it before, sayin' it again: We need more models of General Aviation subjects. Sadly, they don't have the broad appeal.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

I've got the Cessna 172 in 1/48th. Nice decals with it too. I should build that as an OOB relaxer.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Bold choice Mat, I hope you can manage the parts count! 

the 310 is very under-whiffed!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

I can just about remember the Katanga Independence "war" from back in the day on the BBC News. Interesting backdrop to your build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's an interesting concept. Made me wonder about a "mini gunship" with a single 7.62 gatling gun in one of the doors...  ;D

Gondor

Quote from: The Rat on March 15, 2024, 03:51:12 PM:thumbsup:  Said it before, sayin' it again: We need more models of General Aviation subjects. Sadly, they don't have the broad appeal.

I am working over in my mind a backstory for a build using a light aviation aircraft so you will get more. Though when you read the backstory I am concocting you may wish I hadn't  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 16, 2024, 01:49:35 AMThat's an interesting concept. Made me wonder about a "mini gunship" with a single 7.62 gatling gun in one of the doors...  ;D

Possible nose mounted using parts sourced/borrowed/ more like nicked from a A-37 Dragonfly  ...keeping it in the family so to speck  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Quote from: Gondor on March 16, 2024, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: The Rat on March 15, 2024, 03:51:12 PM:thumbsup:  Said it before, sayin' it again: We need more models of General Aviation subjects. Sadly, they don't have the broad appeal.

I am working over in my mind a backstory for a build using a light aviation aircraft so you will get more. Though when you read the backstory I am concocting you may wish I hadn't  ;D

Gondor

No sweat, a well written back story is still appreciated!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 16, 2024, 01:49:35 AMThat's an interesting concept. Made me wonder about a "mini gunship" with a single 7.62 gatling gun in one of the doors...  ;D

The US tried that in Vietnam with a Pilatus PC-6 fitted with a side-firing M-197 three-barrelled 20mm gatling gun (same one as later Hueycobras). It was called the AU-23A Peacemaker and also had five pylons for stores. They, and the similiar Helio Stallion, were evaluated under programmes Credible Chase and PAVE COIN in 1971/72. The TLDR was that the USAF thought they were too slow and vulnerable for the threat-envionment in Vietnam, withdrew them to storage, and they sold them to the Thai air force for border patrol.

There was also the famous/infamous Cessna Bird Dog with twin side-firing M60s.

Can't remember if it was Katanga or Biafra, but there was a De Havilland Dove (ironically) used as a gunship with a single M2HB jury-rigged in the side door.

The USAF's negative view doesn't mean the idea isn't viable. By '71 Vietnam was far 'hotter' than the average brush war, and they had better options to choose from. For a country in the 1960s-1980s threatened by small bands of insurgents armed with small-arms, and/or for a country with no other options, an armed GA aircraft was still viable and useful. It's only the advent of cheap, widely distributed MANPADs from the early '70s on that's gradually made all such slow, cheap COIN aircraft non-viable. Nowadays you need speed and/or altitude and/or countermeasures, and modern sensors and smart weapons have made the 'high' option attractive again, at least in a permissive environment (no air threat and only small SAMs with sub-10,000ft ceilings).

I've always thought the Do 27 and Do 28 would be ideal for this since they have no wing struts.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

A Cessna 310D is the aircraft used to attack the mercenary group on a bridge in the movie The Wild Geese:

impdb listing: http://impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Wild_Geese

The Wild Geese is, of course, based on events in central Africa in the 1960s, and the character of President Limbani is a thinly-disguised portrayal of Moise Tshombe, who was president of Katanga and later the Congo.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

All those supposed "professional" soldiers & not a single one thought to aim his weapon! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mat

Quote from: Weaver on March 17, 2024, 12:57:30 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 16, 2024, 01:49:35 AMCan't remember if it was Katanga or Biafra, but there was a De Havilland Dove (ironically) used as a gunship with a single M2HB jury-rigged in the side door.

It was in Katanga, that a De Havilland Dove was converted to bomber./gunship.

You cannot view this attachment.