Cessna 310 - Katanga

Started by mat, March 15, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFJN

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 17, 2024, 01:25:11 AMAll those supposed "professional" soldiers & not a single one thought to aim his weapon! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Hi,
From the clip provided it looks like at least one of them did aim.
 :-\

The Rat

On the 'aiming' bit: I spent 10 years, 1969 to 1979, with a reserve infantry regiment, and alongside many veterans of the disastrous raid on Dieppe, Operation Jubilee. So I've conversed and trained with many who saw thick combat, and here is what they said: Aiming is great, if you can actually see them. But in many cases all you're trying to do is keep their heads down while others advance toward the position. Then, in close quarters, you often don't have the time, because you're still running/walking/trembling, and scanning for whatever may come at you from the side. In fact, when advancing in a line on a flanking manoeuvre, your section automatic weapons team (we had the FN 7.62mm C2) is keeping their heads down with bursts, and you are firing from the hip on command, until you get close and charge into the position. After that it's mass confusion, screams, and blood.

And I hope we never have to see it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Quote from: The Rat on March 19, 2024, 03:52:19 PMOn the 'aiming' bit: I spent 10 years, 1969 to 1979, with a reserve infantry regiment, and alongside many veterans of the disastrous raid on Dieppe, Operation Jubilee. So I've conversed and trained with many who saw thick combat, and here is what they said: Aiming is great, if you can actually see them. But in many cases all you're trying to do is keep their heads down while others advance toward the position. Then, in close quarters, you often don't have the time, because you're still running/walking/trembling, and scanning for whatever may come at you from the side. In fact, when advancing in a line on a flanking manoeuvre, your section automatic weapons team (we had the FN 7.62mm C2) is keeping their heads down with bursts, and you are firing from the hip on command, until you get close and charge into the position. After that it's mass confusion, screams, and blood.

I hope none of you guys have to either Ratty mate..it's not a pretty sight..trust me.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on March 19, 2024, 03:52:19 PMOn the 'aiming' bit: I spent 10 years, 1969 to 1979, with a reserve infantry regiment, and alongside many veterans of the disastrous raid on Dieppe, Operation Jubilee. So I've conversed and trained with many who saw thick combat, and here is what they said: Aiming is great, if you can actually see them. But in many cases all you're trying to do is keep their heads down while others advance toward the position. Then, in close quarters, you often don't have the time, because you're still running/walking/trembling, and scanning for whatever may come at you from the side. In fact, when advancing in a line on a flanking manoeuvre, your section automatic weapons team (we had the FN 7.62mm C2) is keeping their heads down with bursts, and you are firing from the hip on command, until you get close and charge into the position. After that it's mass confusion, screams, and blood.

Another thing is that some armies, from about the end of WWII to the 1960s, used to train SMG users to fire from a stance where they stood square-on to the target, tucked the gun in tightly to their side at chest/waist level, and aimed instinctively, so some of the guys in the movie were using a "correct" technique according to some training, even though its inappropriate for an air target.

You may have either been in just too late to see this, Ratty, or maybe the Canadian army never adopted the technique in the first place.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on March 20, 2024, 11:58:53 PMYou may have either been in just too late to see this, Ratty, or maybe the Canadian army never adopted the technique in the first place.

Once saw a regular on the ranges at CFB Borden tuck the butt of the Stirling 9mm directly into the middle of his belly, left arm and hand pressing down on the top of the barrel, and fire in short bursts. His grouping was damned good.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on March 21, 2024, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 20, 2024, 11:58:53 PMYou may have either been in just too late to see this, Ratty, or maybe the Canadian army never adopted the technique in the first place.

Once saw a regular on the ranges at CFB Borden tuck the butt of the Stirling 9mm directly into the middle of his belly, left arm and hand pressing down on the top of the barrel, and fire in short bursts. His grouping was damned good.

There you go.

Another technique that goes back to the 1880s is "finger-point-aiming". Somebody realised that humans can always instinctively point their index finger at whatever they're looking at with a reasonable degree of accuracy, even if it's not lined up with their eye. This led to the idea of pointing your right index finger down the side of the weapon and pulling the trigger with the middle finger, the weapon thus pointing wherever you're looking. Obviously, this is dependent of the design of the weapon: on some pistols (1911s were mentioned) there's a real risk that if you do this, the index finger will catch the slide release, and that won't end well...

Speaking of Stirlings and shooting at aircraft, the canteen manager of HMS Ardent was last seen standing on the roof of the hangar, emptying a Stirling into the belly of the Skyhawk that dropped the bomb that killed him. The guy in the backup Seacat station, just forward of that, woke up lying on top of a ship's boat some 30 feet forward of where he started. When he looked at the hanger, its roof had been peeled back like a sardine tin lid. Think I'm right in saying that the manager's body was never found.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on March 22, 2024, 11:28:43 AMThink I'm right in saying that the manager's body was never found.

:-\

When my son was taking archery I managed to get a bit of time on the range, and my old army nemesis still haunted me: a tiny blurry patch dead centre of my right eye. Can't aim worth a damn. So I tried the arrow at about shoulder height, guesstimated the adjustment, and did better. Certainly not 'ready for the Olympics' better, but a definite improvement.

mat

Just put some stuff in the empty fuselage.

You cannot view this attachment.

The Rat

Looking good! Has ye solved the transparency problem yet? I would find that terrifying!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Is all the cabin stuff scratchbuilt? VERY nicely done, whichever way it was.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Oh well done: that looks great!  :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

63cpe

Nice one Mat!

Interior job looks good.

Keep going!

David aka 63CPE

mat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2024, 05:29:35 AMIs all the cabin stuff scratchbuilt? VERY nicely done, whichever way it was.

Its all scratchbuild, as I could not find any usefull pieces in my scrapyard.