FB-57F Canberra, High Altitude Interceptor, Air Defense Command *finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 15, 2024, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 31, 2024, 10:29:45 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on March 30, 2024, 09:18:48 PMAIM-54s on the wing Dave..would look quite impressive...oh a couple of sidewinders as well for up close defense.
Falcons can go inside..they don't look as good as the 54 anyway .

The 54 is much better looking

Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2024, 09:52:32 PMI can see that! I'd skip the Falcons completely.

Quote from: McColm on March 31, 2024, 01:52:38 AMFreightdogmodels.co.uk sell a gun pack which could fit in the weapons bay.

Guns for a 1960's? interceptor?  pffft, no way.  Besides the tail gunner in a Bison or Bear would love that.   

Quote from: Pellson on March 31, 2024, 09:04:51 AMSmart move going with the MACH 2 fuselage. As for weapons, you could probably stagger two phoenixes in the bomb bay, but any more would have to go under the wings, as would any short range missiles.
What should be remembered though, is that these huge wings make the aircraft anything but manoeuvrable and as they also are quite fragile, the manoeuvre envelope is further limited by G's. Hence, fixed guns are pretty much just dead weight whereas an all-aspect, shoot-over-your-shoulder short range missile could be useful for self defence, but preferably, you'd want to keep the bogeys At a (significant) distance.

Exactly, this will be a long range shooter, no manuevering

We'll in this beast ..firepower matters..maneuverability..not so much  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw on March 31, 2024, 10:35:06 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on March 31, 2024, 10:29:45 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on March 30, 2024, 09:18:48 PMAIM-54s on the wing Dave..would look quite impressive...oh a couple of sidewinders as well for up close defense.
Falcons can go inside..they don't look as good as the 54 anyway .

The 54 is much better looking

Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2024, 09:52:32 PMI can see that! I'd skip the Falcons completely.

Quote from: McColm on March 31, 2024, 01:52:38 AMFreightdogmodels.co.uk sell a gun pack which could fit in the weapons bay.

Guns for a 1960's? interceptor?  pffft, no way.  Besides the tail gunner in a Bison or Bear would love that.   

Quote from: Pellson on March 31, 2024, 09:04:51 AMSmart move going with the MACH 2 fuselage. As for weapons, you could probably stagger two phoenixes in the bomb bay, but any more would have to go under the wings, as would any short range missiles.
What should be remembered though, is that these huge wings make the aircraft anything but manoeuvrable and as they also are quite fragile, the manoeuvre envelope is further limited by G's. Hence, fixed guns are pretty much just dead weight whereas an all-aspect, shoot-over-your-shoulder short range missile could be useful for self defence, but preferably, you'd want to keep the bogeys At a (significant) distance.

Exactly, this will be a long range shooter, no manuevering

We'll in this beast ..firepower matters..maneuverability..not so much  ;D

You don't need to manoeuvre to fire a missile that has a range of over sixty mines in the case of the AIM-54

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Weapons Bay work.  All scratched up with .30 sheet styrene

Can't forget everyone's favorite, the Genie, a real crowd pleaser!  (silver) 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

It's going to need the nose from an F-111 or an F-14 to hold all the radar pieces to guide that Phoenix!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on March 31, 2024, 11:04:12 AMIt's going to need the nose from an F-111 or an F-14 to hold all the radar pieces to guide that Phoenix!

Indeed a big dish will be required.......all part of the plan.......
Dave "Sandiego89"

Old Wombat

Putting guns on a 60's bomber-group interceptor defeats their purpose.

Their job was to destroy the enemy, preferrably before they got to friendly territory.

So, lots of good long-range missiles is the way to go, with, maybe, one or two short-range missiles for self-defence.

They're not intercepting as individual aircraft, they're intercepting as full squadrons or wings, firing off all their missiles, then bugging out in the (vain) hope they have a chance to re-fuel & re-arm before the enemy bombers reach their targets.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

With the Martin version of the Canberra it had the neat feature where the rotating bomb bay could be wheeled out for loading.

And of course rotate.

Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

So the missiles will be fired at who ever is behind the aircraft.

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on April 07, 2024, 02:09:50 AMSo the missiles will be fired at who ever is behind the aircraft.

Not sure what you are looking at, but all missiles are forward firing.  Genie and AIM-4 Falcon shown in last pics and they are facing forward
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....