FB-57F Canberra, High Altitude Interceptor, Air Defense Command *finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 15, 2024, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on April 07, 2024, 12:30:25 PMTwo of each in the bay I take it?

Gondor

Yes two of each just fit. 

I was hoping to put AIM-47 Falcons (pre-cursor to the AIM-54 Phoenix) in the bay, but they are huge!  They will have to go on the wing. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

:thumbsup: 
The AIM-47 is actually slightly smaller than the AIM-54, in all dimensions.

AIM-47 on the left, XAIM-54 on the right. You cannot view this attachment.

sandiego89

Quote from: jcf on April 08, 2024, 11:12:01 AM:thumbsup:

AIM-47 on the left, XAIM-54 on the right.

That is a great picture, thank you for posting.  Yes a bit smaller, but at 800+ pounds and 12 feet long, the 47 was still pretty big! 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 08, 2024, 03:24:56 PM
Quote from: jcf on April 08, 2024, 11:12:01 AM:thumbsup:

AIM-47 on the left, XAIM-54 on the right.

That is a great picture, thank you for posting.  Yes a bit smaller, but at 800+ pounds and 12 feet long, the 47 was still pretty big! 
Slightly shorter than 2 of me ...that's a big fecking missile  :o
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Bendix Eagle with its booster. 195.5" (16' 3.5")
;D
You cannot view this attachment.

sandiego89

Fitted the wings.  After much dry fitting, carving, and sanding, the wings were still not mating to the fuselage well, so a narrow strip of sheet styrene (white) fit the gap nicely. 

Now for the radar, I wanted a larger dish for the Hughes AN-ASG-18 (pre-cursor of the AWG-9 in the F-111B and the F-14 Tomcat) so I tried a few options. 

Top to bottom:
F-111A of the old TFX kit
F-111B, same box as above
RB-57 kit
Su-21

and ended up with going with F-14A nose cone from an old Revell Easy Kit, that had already been picked.  Don't tell Maverick and Goose their radome was stolen. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

You haven't fitted the front of the engines yet.

Best get your putty out before you start.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 10, 2024, 12:48:22 PMFitted the wings.  After much dry fitting, carving, and sanding, the wings were still not mating to the fuselage well, so a narrow strip of sheet styrene (white) fit the gap nicely. 

Now for the radar, I wanted a larger dish for the Hughes AN-ASG-18 (pre-cursor of the AWG-9 in the F-111B and the F-14 Tomcat) so I tried a few options. 

Top to bottom:
F-111A of the old TFX kit
F-111B, same box as above
RB-57 kit
Su-21

and ended up with going with F-14A nose cone from an old Revell Easy Kit, that had already been picked.  Don't tell Maverick and Goose their radome was stolen. 

You should see some of the science payloads that have been fitted to the nose! Pinocchio!

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on April 08, 2024, 11:21:37 PMBendix Eagle with its booster. 195.5" (16' 3.5")
;D

I can't get past that bowtie with coveralls. Has the man no fashion sense? HARUMPH!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2024, 03:10:35 PM
Quote from: jcf on April 08, 2024, 11:21:37 PMBendix Eagle with its booster. 195.5" (16' 3.5")
;D

I can't get past that bowtie with coveralls. Has the man no fashion sense? HARUMPH!

Looks like Sheldon Cooper.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Ah the engine fronts one will fit better than the other, if you have a A-10 model kit you can use them instead.

sandiego89

Engine work

Dry fit.  A bit of sanding to get the cowlings to fit. 

Putty required.  "sugar scoops" over exhaust. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

buzzbomb

kerick

Tophe the Wise