The Scimitar FB-2, the RAF's heavy hitter

Started by PR19_Kit, March 15, 2024, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It's all Chrisonord's fault.  ;D

He wanted some decals for his A-4 tanker and I suggested the ones that 800B NAS used on their Supermarine Scimitar tankers, used to top-up the woefully underpowered Buccaneer S1s. It so happens that the Skybirds86 Scimitar kit comes with those decals and I offered to scan and print some for him as I had 2-3 of those Scimitar kits.

That got me thinking about how I could Whifftikate a Scimitar, and with my brain-set an RAF one with longer wings fitted the bill. The RAF wouldn't need folding wings, they've got OODLES of runway length to play with, and who'd want to use that complicated flap blowing system when you could just lengthen the wings and have the same lift?

So this is the Supermarine Scimitar FB2, flown by the RAF in a 'tactical nuclear deterrent' role during the Cold War, the Scimitar having already been cleared to carry the Red Beard weapon by the FAA of course.

Here's the mandatory 'before I start' pic of the kit box, such as it is. As with almost all Skybirds boxes they're not large enough to contain all the kit parts once you've opened them the first time. This goes for their MB5, the Scimitar, and the Hornets, every one's the same, bursting at the seams once it's been opened. :(

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Great use for this sort of kit.

Dual seat as well ?

kerick

It will be fun building that cockpit. I can't imagine the kit includes very much. Interesting idea.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitbasher

Oooer, missus!

I've got something similar for this GB that I plan to post over the weekend.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on March 15, 2024, 04:34:19 PMIt will be fun building that cockpit. I can't imagine the kit includes very much. Interesting idea.

Oh it does, Skybirds were very early in the multi-media game and it has styrene, PE and white metal stuff included, the cockpit's pretty comprehensive. And the engineering of the kit is world class, you're warned NOT to put the main landing gear in place before it's painted and detailed as you'll never get it off again, and that's without glue!

Quote from: buzzbomb on March 15, 2024, 04:14:40 PMDual seat as well ?

I was wondering about that, but finding a suitable canopy could be a pain, and extending the nose could be REALLY difficult too. The FAA seemed to have got past the 'dual key' system with their planned use of Red Beards on their Scimitars, so maybe the RAF could piggy-back on that system too?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

A de-navalised type 525, the 526, had been offered to the RAF.  Say that got all of the other airframe mods?

As for a two seater, there were plans for a two seat version of at least one of Scimitar's predecessors, although I forget which one.  The drawings are in Teach for the Sky.  As for a possible canopy?  Fouga Magister or L29 Delphin?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

I'm thinking this is one of those kits with a hell of alot of not much . ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Two seater would be cool to see but like you said, a lot of extra work. I think I would stick with the single seat.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

There was also a side-by-side two-seat Scimitar offered to the RN as an all-weather fighter with AI.23 and Red Tops.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 15, 2024, 04:58:43 PMAs for a two seater, there were plans for a two seat version of at least one of Scimitar's predecessors, although I forget which one.  The drawings are in Teach for the Sky.  As for a possible canopy?  Fouga Magister or L29 Delphin?

I've seen that drawing too, their original 2-seat canopy was a bit like the Attacker and Swift 2-seaters, hardly surprising of course. But they're a bit too heavily framed to my mind, the Scimitar's canopy sits like a big 'bubble' on that snub nose, and a 2-seat version should be equally 'bubble like' to my mind.

Having said all that, I realise I have form in doing 2-seaters out of single seaters so I ought be be able to come up with SOMEthing.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Tandem 2-seat Hunter canopy perhaps?  Possibly a tad too narrow.

Buccaneer canopy?  I think I have a van form one going spare that you could have.

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

The wings from the Heller Mirage IVP model fit rather well.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 16, 2024, 12:55:54 AMTandem 2-seat Hunter canopy perhaps?  Possibly a tad too narrow.

Buccaneer canopy?  I think I have a van form one going spare that you could have.

I agree Dave, and too low as well perhaps?

I may take you up on that Bucc canopy, thanks. I hadn't considered that one.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Why bother with an extended canopy for the rear seater ? After all he's probably only an NCO, not commissioned and one of "Us" plus the dark will help him concentrate on his poorly illuminated screens  ;)

Semi serious suggestion, just put a fuselage "plug" in behind the existing canopy ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 16, 2024, 01:37:15 AMBuccaneer canopy?  I think I have a van form one going spare that you could have.

I agree Dave, and too low as well perhaps?

I may take you up on that Bucc canopy, thanks. I hadn't considered that one.  :banghead:
[/quote]

Will have a rummage tomorrow, Kit (out and about today) and will PM with the results.

And I may have a Red Beard somewhere.