The Scimitar FB-2, the RAF's heavy hitter

Started by PR19_Kit, March 15, 2024, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on March 25, 2024, 02:03:44 PMWing extensions, who would have thought......  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. A bit of a change for me, eh?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

At LAST it would seem the interminable PSR on the Scimitar FB2 is done, thank goodness.  ;D

Goodness knows how many sessions I've had on this, well into double figures for sure. But now I can get on with getting the canopy to fit, which will take a bit of 'adjusting', and can build the rest of it, mainly the landing gear and weapon load.

Then I might, maybe, re-scribe some of the more obvious panel lines that I've just spent days sanding off...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Something like that, think Canberra B(I)8 but shorter............

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Charlie_c67

Looking good Kit, though I can't help but feel that pilot looks incredibly upright and exposed? Will probably look "better" with the canopy on however.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Yes, the pilot does sit higher than the Nav, but that's because of the shape of the canopy and the original cockpit position.

I had to lower the Nav's seat quite a bit so it didn't foul the canopy, but even so both the seats are VERY close to the roof!

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I like that Kit ...she's got great lines and I can see a pretty good thing with the pilots seating position..great visibility..just like a F-15  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Certainly come together Kit  :thumbsup:  Looks good in overall primer.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

You should feel how much it WEIGHS!  :o

I hope Skybirds white metal is pretty tough, it's going to need to be to support all that weight, and not a drop of added nose-weight needed either.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'm not sure. The MB5 certainly collapses over time although my Hornet seems to be okay so far.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The legs on the Scimitar are all vertical, whereas all the legs on the MB5 are at an angle so they're in bending rather than compression. I'm reasonably hopeful.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2024, 06:59:06 AMThe legs on the Scimitar are all vertical, whereas all the legs on the MB5 are at an angle so they're in bending rather than compression. I'm reasonably hopeful.

Touch wood and say "hello Mr Magpie" next time you see one  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The RAF didn't like the Scimitar F1's air brakes, they were wrapped around the fuselage just aft of the wing and forward of the exhausts, and were in three parts, some with perforations and some without, to avoid too much pitch change when they were applied. The RAF's need for the airbrakes was so they could be at exactly the correct speed during the pitch-up manoeuvre for the LABS mission the FB2s were designed for, so a better solution was sought.

Having had similar pitch control problems with their Hunter interceptor, Hawker offered a solution in using their belly airbrake they'd developed for the Hunter, and Supermarine accepted their help readily. Thus the FB2s had a hefty 'barn door' type airbrake scabbed into the belly of the airframe in line with the positions of the original F1's airbrakes.

In the real world the PE airbrakes which come with the Skybirds kit seem to be 1/80 scale and are far too small to fit the recesses they're etched for , so out came the putty and 10-15 PSR sessions later there were no recesses! The Hunter type airbrake was the work of a moment with 3-4 pieces of styrene cut to size and then PSR'd to death.  ;D

Regards
Kit