The Scimitar FB-2, the RAF's heavy hitter

Started by PR19_Kit, March 15, 2024, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

;D  ;D
A feeling I'm getting Kit with the next idea I'm having  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I've got back on the Scimitar as I realised the GB's end date was fast approaching. :(

It's had even more PSR and primer and I've painted the cockpit as far is it's going to be painted. I've tried fitting the canopy and it actually fits quite well, but NOT where I originally intended it to.  ;D Spreading the base of the canopy a fraction enables it to sit down lower than the cockpit side rails and on top of the sides of the fuselage. That makes the windscreen fit a lot better, and while it may take a bit more work at the aft end, and make the fairing a little more difficult to look right, I think it's a better solution than  my original idea.

So here's the Scimitar FB2 with a painted cockpit and the very last session of PSR. Yes, really.............

That's the US Mk 7 nuke hanging from its pylon in the foreground, and the less said about fitting the pylon to the wing, the better!  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I take it that the pylon is being a bit of a Sus domesticus is it?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on May 14, 2024, 10:31:46 AMI take it that the pylon is being a bit of a Sus domesticus is it?

It's actually the wing that's the problem.

It has four 'bumps' on the underside which are meant to locate the pylons exactly, as they have recesses in their tops that should fit over the bumps. But the bumps are all too wide and need mucho filing to fit the pylons properly.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Now that we have an extension, or we MAY have an extension for the 60s GB anyway, I've got a fighting chance of finishing the Scimitar FB2.

I'm working on getting the canopy in place first, and the rear bulkhead for it is glued in position and painted now. I've also filed the rather irritating mounting stubs for the weapons pylons so they actually fit the pylons. Beforehand they were much too wide and pylons stood 1.5 mm clear of the lower wing surface! Quite why Skybirds didn't do it the conventional way, with holes in the wings and stubs on the pylons I'm not sure, but they didn't.  :banghead:

The standard nuke fit at the time was either a Red Beard or a Mk 7 on the port pylon and a tank on the starboard one, so I'm going with that, plus I'm going to fit a 'winder on each outboard pylon as the FAA Scimitars seemed to carry them like that quite often. I also have a LOT of 'winders knocking about with no aircraft to defend as well!

The first colour coat is on the underside, Light Aircraft Grey of course, and a similar coat of Dark Sea Grey on much of the upper surfaces, just to see how it looks. It'll need further coats of course as I have yet to add some detail parts like the wing fences and the air data probe, but I'll have some idea how it's going to look when it's done.

Maybe some pics in a day or so.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

At long last the Scimitar has its canopy glued in place. The canopy is from Colin Frieghtdog's tandem 2-seat Hunter conversion so it wasn't an exact fit and I had to add some spacer strips and a bulkhead behind the Nav, but it looks OK now.

I'm in the middle of adding the fairing aft of the canopy now, and that's a styrene multi-layer build and will need lots of PSR no doubt.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Start with half a Hunter drop tank?  You're halfway there.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I might be if I had one handy, but I'm 120 miles away from any that I have got. The Scimitar's tanks are too small in diameter, as well as being moulded in concrete as far as I can see. :(

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After a short period of styrene laminating and a quadruple PSR session the aft  cockpit fairing is pretty well sorted. I've masked up the canopy and re-primed the nose area, and it's not too bad. A few more PSR sessions will be required, but it's looking promising.

Not the most stylish shape, but good enough for Government work I think.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kerick

This is quite a nice build. It's going to look good painted up!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit