The Scimitar FB-2, the RAF's heavy hitter

Started by PR19_Kit, March 15, 2024, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 28, 2024, 01:23:41 PMNot the most stylish shape, but good enough for Government work I think.  ;D

Late 1940's, early 1950's design so that sounds about right.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Here's an approximation of how the Scimitar FB2 will look when it's done. The first coat of the Hataka Dark Green is on, but it needs at least one more coat, maybe two.

I've also added the white metal air data probe and the IFR probe since I took this and they'll BOTH need some filing and PSR before they even start to look right. How come none of the 'kit reviewers' who praised this kit to the heights back then didn't spot these and other myriad problems at the time?

Answer, not ONE of them actually built the kit! Shame on them!  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

No, Mike definitely built it, as I remember his review in SAM.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Mike was a different kettle of fish, he REALLY did what he said.

Did he pick up on the crazy air brake frets? They're about 1/82 scale, not 1/72, there's NO way they'd fit in the recesses meant for them.

2nd coat of green is on now and it's looking much more acceptable. Plus I've painted the myriad white metal bits of the landing gear etc. What a fiddly job that was!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

It's got wheels!  ;D

But they're white metal ones. so I'm keeping an eye on the nosewheel especially in case it sags, as they're a bit prone to do sometimes.

The paint could be better, as I found every new layer I added was a lighter shade than one one before, from the SAME bottle. I'm not too happy about that, but naff all I can do about it anyway.

It looks like I may actually finish it in time now, after a marathon painting day y'day.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That's the good thing about Acrylic paint, you can get several coats down in one day.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I'd just prefer them to be the same colour...............

I've never noticed this with Hataka stuff before.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

This is why I've stuck wi Xtracrylix for twenty years and not listened to the arsepieces lauding a different and new paint every other week.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

After all the work so far bud she's looking pretty bloody good 👍
As for the paints playing up I have had that on the odd occasion with of all things Humbrol  :o
Their whites and yellows were the main ones I remember.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

And now it's got everything else added too, except the decals. The add-ons include that rather large bomb on the port inboard pylon, and it's a Mk 7 tactical nuke, designed to stop those pesky Ruskies crossing into W Germany.

I've also made one rather basic mistake, which you can't see in this pic, but it'll take some spotting on the SIG stand, I hope....

The pitot on the port wing tips stand NO chance of lasting past Tuesday, it's been bent 10-15 times already, and with white metal that's fatal. I'll swap it for a brass one or a hypo needle maybe.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Oh she's packing one hell of a punch bud ..I like that  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

The backstory, once I've done it all, says the RAF used Scimitar FB2s in the same role as the W German based Canberra B(I)8s in the 60s. Same engines, same crew numbers, same weapons, but faster.

And I've found a magic scheme for one too, just like a 16 Sqdn. B(I)8.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've Kleared the FB2 now, and it's waiting for it's yet to be printed decals, plus two 'winders that should end up under the outer pylons, if I can find some with launchers anyway.

Sadly, and as predicted, the IFR probe didn't survive the trip home y'day and it snapped off. I'll try and replace it with some brass tube and the white metal tip of the original probe.

The backstory's complete now too.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2024, 01:58:32 PMI've also made one rather basic mistake, which you can't see in this pic, but it'll take some spotting on the SIG stand, I hope...

Ooh, a guessing game, eh? I'll have first crack - you can see straight through from front to back?  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

No, you can't actually, it had carefully designed blanks provided fore and aft to prevent  that.

Regards
Kit