Cammnut's Blue Period

Started by CammNut, March 19, 2024, 12:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

No backstory here, just a long-abiding love of the US Navy's dark blue colour scheme. I have been putting these together in odd available moments over the past months, thinking they would be quick builds as they are all-over one colour. But things are never that simple, are they?.

All are 1/72. Built essentially OOB. Left is Mach 2's Convair XFY-1 Sea Dart. Centre is Peplatz's L210-10. Right is Sharkit's McDonnell Model 60.

The Mach 2 Sea Dart kit isn't that bad and goes together quickly. I added gun ports aft of the cockpit where the weapon bays would have been on the production aircraft. They would have housed four cannon or two rocket packs. The production F2Y-2 would have looked a bit different but...oh well.

The Peplatz L210 is a lovely little kit. The L210 was a 1950 convoy fighter project that predated Lockheed's XFY-1 tailsitter vertical-takeoff-and-landing prototype. There is a story to this that will emerge with a later build. I also built an XFY-1 and it is quite a bit bigger than the L210.

Sharkit's Model 60 was a 60th birthday gift from my closest friend (and I'm now 68). Finally built, David! It's resin and a bit rudimentary. The aft fuselage barrel was "waffer-thin", Monsieur Creosote, which made filling and sanding the joint to the forward fuselage a tongue-biting experience. The delta-wing Model 60 lost out to McDonnell's swept-wing Model 58 in the competition that led to the F3H Demon. You can see the resemblance.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

A cracking trio of US Naval stuff. Very smart indeed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

What a beautiful collection - well done! :thumbsup:  I particularly like the model 60.

Vulcan7

Very nice set of builds  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

chrisonord

Very striking builds, and really can't pick a favourite from them. Nice. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

That's a nice collection  :thumbsup:

Quote from: CammNut on March 19, 2024, 12:43:49 PMI have been putting these together in odd available moments over the past months, thinking they would be quick builds as they are all-over one colour. But things are never that simple, are they?.

How often have we all said that or something very similar to ourselves ?  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 20, 2024, 07:20:00 AMThat's a nice collection  :thumbsup:

Quote from: CammNut on March 19, 2024, 12:43:49 PMI have been putting these together in odd available moments over the past months, thinking they would be quick builds as they are all-over one colour. But things are never that simple, are they?.

How often have we all said that or something very similar to ourselves ?  :rolleyes:

Um... daily?  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

CammNut

Thanks folks - more blue to come

loupgarou

Very good builds.
But why, when I read the title o your topic, I have the image of a blue-painted mammouth ...?  ;D
(maybe by Picasso...)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on March 21, 2024, 06:05:57 AMVery good builds.
But why, when I read the title o your topic, I have the image of a blue-painted mammouth ...?  ;D
(maybe by Picasso...)

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.